Join Early Retirement Today

18.3 million baby boomers could benefit from the Affordable Care Act
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If nothing changes, here is what we (ER) have to look for:

At least this is a hope for those of us who do not have employer provided insurance.
huusom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It will be interesting to see what "affordable" means.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
gone traveling

It will be equally interesting to see how long this thread lasts before the Pig sings...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Woo-hoo! Great benefits and apparently no one pays for anything. Who can be against that!?

I love it when articles say this or that law provides this or that benefit. Like those highway signs everywhere that say the road improvements are provided by the Recovery Act. It's unadulterated BS. The road isn't being improved by the law and Congress isn't providing colonoscopies (except in a figurative sense). All these things are done by real people with money taken from other people.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Isn't the whole question moot? The Affordable Care Act was just declared to be unconstitutional, wasn't it? Or is this ruling expected to be overturned on appeal?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Isn't the whole question moot? The Affordable Care Act was just declared to be unconstitutional, wasn't it? Or is this ruling expected to be overturned on appeal?
The VA judge allowed the provisions to the law to continue to go into effect pending appeal. This issue will surely make it to the Supreme Court. The next major case is a similar one in Florida, in that case, 20 states are suing in an effort to have the law declared unconstitutional.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
gone traveling

I had to laugh at this statement:

"The Early Retiree Health Benefits Reinsurance Program for Employers helps public and private sector employers pay for health benefits for employees who retire before age 65. This $5 billion temporary program has already enrolled 3,600 employers and will run through 2014, when people who retire before age 65 will be eligible to purchase health insurance through the new insurance exchanges."

I retired before Medicare age and I purchase (e.g. co-pay) for medical insurance through my former company for DW/me.

We have not had an increase in the last two years and only a few dollar increase for the prior two years while being retired.

The company did apply/get assistance from gmnt (they were on the list). Even with this "assistance", our preimum is going up by 14% January 1.

Glad to see this "improved health insurance" going into effect ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

18.3 million baby boomers are benefitting, meanwhile 50 million people ages 25-45 are getting kicked in the rear by having their premiums double or triple to cover the cost of the said baby boomers. We'll find out shortly how "affordable" $1500/month is for a 35 year old couple with two kids.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
One very narrow bit and all direct references to it (none!) was declared unconstitutional. The ruling was much narrower than what the plaintiffs were hoping for. And yes, the ruling will be appealed, and may not stand. Check back in a few years and we'll know more.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #10

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/14/he.../14health.html

Quote:
Judge Hudson is the third district court judge to reach a determination on the merits in one of the two dozen lawsuits challenging the health care law. The other judges, in Detroit and Lynchburg, Va., have upheld the law. Lawyers say the appellate process could last another two years before the Supreme Court settles the dispute.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
We have not had an increase in the last two years and only a few dollar increase for the prior two years while being retired.

The company did apply/get assistance from gmnt (they were on the list). Even with this "assistance", our preimum is going up by 14% January 1.

Glad to see this "improved health insurance" going into effect ...
Yes, but starting 2011 they have to price in insurance for children up to 26 being added, free preventive procedures, etc that were not required before. Whether you consider those extras worthwhile is another question.
Plus this is an excuse to insurance companies to get their rates up before 2014 when the meat of the bill takes effect.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote