Join Early Retirement Today

18 Science-Based Reasons to Try Loving-Kindness Meditation
Old 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

18 Science-Based Reasons to Try Loving-Kindness Meditation

Happiness is a huge part of health, IMO. Thought this article was great. The free loving-kindness meditation at the end is nice, and short, too, which is a bonus IMO! (< 14 min).

Enjoy!

18 Science-Based Reasons to Try Loving-Kindness Meditation - Mindful

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

I'm no expert, but found it interesting that this meditation starts by others giving their loving kindness to you, and only after that, you do your job of giving loving kindness to others.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm no expert, but found it interesting that this meditation starts by others giving their loving kindness to you, and only after that, you do your job of giving loving kindness to others.
I don't consider myself an expert by far, but I have done a bit of reading on the topic of loving-kindness meditation. Usually they recommend starting with loving-kindness meditation towards yourself, then giving it to others. I believe it is felt if you can love yourself well, then you are able to extend that love to others more easily. I read that growing up in the eastern culture, loving-kindness towards oneself is taught early on, and it is more natural for them to be able to do this. However, those who grow up in a western culture often have difficulty extending loving kindness to themselves. So, meditations are often altered to help people cultivate "metta" towards oneself by visualizing getting it from others first.

Not sure if I am remembering all of that correctly, but that is what I recall.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

This website is helpful for learning about loving-kindness meditation practice.

Introduction to lovingkindness meditation | Wildmind Buddhist Meditation