19 yr Short Tour with med issues

gettingclose

Confused about dryer sheets
I was tagged with a short Tour Assignment back in Mar with a RNLT of Nov 10 2008. 9 Nov 2008 will mark my 19 yr anniversary. You have to love how the AF screws with ya at your 19 yr point!!!
I signed for my assignment (7 day opt out letter) because nobody in their right mind would turn down the assignment and void their retirement and separate after completing 19 yrs.

When I went to do my 422 Med clearances for the PCS in June, I was medically denied because of recent change in PTSD medication. They re-evaluate every 90 days for this type of med issue. A month later, I tore two disc in my back and have been playing the hurry up and let’s see how much our lovely tricare system can torture one before any action will take place. To make a long story short, my new medical profile will expire/re-evaluated on Nov 23. My functional said they plan to push my RNLT to early Dec. My question is if I don't clear again, which I probably won't, how long can they defer a short assignment before it is canceled and better yet, would I then be I at risk for a MEB at 19 yrs? Will the medically separate me, retire me or Code C me:confused: I can still perform my job, (Now an office job) but can't wear any kind of field gear because of the weight/pressure on my back. It litterly kills me. I just want to make it to my 20 yr point and retire. I have the max newly allowed 75 days of carry-over leave to allow me to probably leave the service on terminal with permissive at the end of July 09. Any assistance or caution would be greatly appreciated.

Nervous

My understanding is that I can probably make it to 20:confused: Does my Short tour get turned off or do they keep pushing back:confused:

scared

I was matched with a short Mar 08 and signed the 7 day letter to accept the assignment in March as stated above. 20 year point is in early Nov 2009. Meaning I can submit paperwork 365 out which would be Dec 1, 2008. However I'm still tentatively going to my Short tour at this time. Original RNLT is 10 Nov 08. Keep in mind, I'm I’m not cleared to PCS, so instead they are pushing my RNLT to the following month of early Dec thinking the med issue will be resolved:confused: I'm quite sure I won't clear once again and am then sweating bullets about a possible upcoming MEB. I don’t want to loose out on my check just a few months short.

Contact your local or regional Disabled American Veterans office to get some advice now and to get your medical records properly reviewed when you separate. You will probably be entitled to a disability rating given your recent back injury. These folks are extremely helpful and will assist you in making your way through the system to your best advantage. You will get nothing unless you know what to ask for. Their assistance is free.

Your short tour will probably be cancelled due to being medically disqualified for worldwide duty which should trigger an MEB. Most MEB processing takes several months which should get you to the point where you can submit your retirement application. You can tell the MEB that you have decided to retire in lieu of the MEB when you get within 365 days of your retirement date. When you hit 18 years you enter into a "Sanctuary" period which pretty much guarantees you will make your 20 years and be able to retire. One way or another you should be able to get your 20 and retire. This time will go by quickly and you should use it to see the medical folks about any other medical issues that you need resolved before you get out. Several months before you begin your terminal leave you will start your outprocessing checklists, transition assistance, etc. Pay special attention to the part where you submit your application to the VA for disability compensation. Look around the web for other forum sites that discuss VA disability compensation and do your homework. Good Luck...

Luis

Dont' brave the disability process on your own. Use your DAV representative. They are pros at the process and they will get you what you deserve. The don't charge for their service and they don't take a percentage of your award. They are there only to help you get what you deserve for your years of service. Use them. I did and I'm glad I did.

Welcome to the board, GettingClose.

When you hit 18 years you enter into a "Sanctuary" period which pretty much guarantees you will make your 20 years and be able to retire. One way or another you should be able to get your 20 and retire.
Title X of the federal code guarantees a military retirement to veterans making it past 18 years of service, so you're gonna get a retirement. The only remaining questions are (1) how long it's gonna take to work through the process, (2) what type of retirement it's gonna be, and (3) how much money you're going to get between a retirement check and a disability check. Even if you "only" end up with 45% of base pay, you'll probably also be collecting disability. Best case would be you make it to 20 and eligibility for a regular retirement. "Worst" case would be some time in the TDRL holding pen followed by a 20-year retirement.

Miracle cures notwithstanding, the MEB process will essentially defer your PCS until you hit retirement eligibility.

Time is on your side, and this process is essentially impossible to fix later if it's not done right the first time. Make sure that the medical people are doing everything possible to get you fixed (since you're going to have to live with it for the rest of your life) and don't rush for a "solution" just because it seems promising. You don't want to be able to PCS-- you want to be able to maintain full mobility for the rest of your life and not just end up with a 100% disability.

Read through the link that REWahoo! gave you, spend some time on the other discussion boards recommended there, make sure you read the references and consult the legal people to understand how the process works, and don't let anyone rush you into a decision.

I'd appreciate it if you'd keep us posted on what works and what doesn't. We're starting to get a few MEB veterans on this board who can provide valuable advice to the next group of people struggling through the process. Whatever you pass on can be added to the archives.

Back
Top Bottom