2011 Crossfit Games on ESPN

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yesterday I watched the 2011 Crossfit Games Marathon on ESPN. What great athletes these men and women are, very impressive. I think it will air again later this month if you'd like to check it out.

If I was 30 years younger, I'd be going to one of the Crossfit gyms.

Yesterday I watched the 2011 Crossfit Games Marathon on ESPN. What great athletes these men and women are, very impressive. I think it will air again later this month if you'd like to check it out.

If I was 30 years younger, I'd be going to one of the Crossfit gyms.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like something I could do. On their website they say,
CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.

But then later they say it can even be used for the elderly. Uh huh. I think I'll stick to my usual routine with weight machines for now. :D

Thanks for the info. I went to ESPN website and I'm watching day 2 of the games in Carson California in July. Interesting. Apparently for all ages? Although the ones participating in these games are younger. Or that are shown. The local cross fit gym here has some video testimonials. These people have been doing it for a year. They look thinner but they also look exhausted.

Crossfit is not my thing, but it seems that age does not matter:

Nor does it seem that age and some serious medical conditions prevent participation, enjoyment, and benefits.

He's a lot leaner than me, and sounds like he was more active most of his life. On the medical side of things, I found that when I came down with diabetes a few years back, I lost strength and my gas tank would go empty quicker. If I did try some of that stuff now I suspect I'd be needing 5-10 minute recovery times between exercises, so probably not for me at this point.

He talked all the way through the video. He has quite a physique, but they didn't show him doing very much. To me, that's not so impressive since my ex had quite a physique too and he never exercised at all (I know, I lived with him). Some people are just blessed by heredity.

They did show her lifting some free weights (how heavy? They look really heavy but then it looks like 10 pounds written on each disc), and doing some other stuff on the last youtube in Leonidas' post.

Last edited:
Crossfit has a reputation for injuring people. Physical exhaustion is emphasized to the exclusion of almost everything, including safe form.

The top competitors in their games did not develop their athletic ability doing Crossfit. Rather, they were athletes from other sports that came into Crossfit and dominated.

I would stay far, far away. There are much easier, safer ways to look after ones health and fitness.

Crossfit has a reputation for injuring people. Physical exhaustion is emphasized to the exclusion of almost everything, including safe form.

The top competitors in their games did not develop their athletic ability doing Crossfit. Rather, they were athletes from other sports that came into Crossfit and dominated.

I would stay far, far away. There are much easier, safer ways to look after ones health and fitness.

Thanks for the information. The main obstacle for me in getting physically fit, is injuries. Consequently I am almost OCD about form and working up to things gradually. So, it sounds like Crossfit would not be a good fit for me. I am really happy with my results after weight lifting with machines for an hour three days a week regularly for one year, and plan to continue. I injured my back slightly when first starting (probably due to not knowing what weights to start at), and had a mild rotator cuff injury last summer. It took me most of the fall to get back to where I had been in June. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. The main obstacle for me in getting physically fit, is injuries. Consequently I am almost OCD about form and working up to things gradually. So, it sounds like Crossfit would not be a good fit for me. I am really happy with my results after weight lifting with machines for an hour three days a week regularly for one year, and plan to continue. I injured my back slightly when first starting (probably due to not knowing what weights to start at), and had a mild rotator cuff injury last summer. It took me most of the fall to get back to where I had been in June. :rolleyes:
Similar concerns are why I don't do Crossfit. If you read any of the many Crossfit blogs you will encounter what seems to be a large number of stories in which the author talks about his/her injuries. Like you, I don't want to be out of the gym for months and lose all that progress because of an injury.

Most days I can push myself to perform at demanding levels without the assistance of a group to urge me on. In fact, most of the time I have to be careful that I don't over-train. Since I am über competitive by nature, Crossfit and I would not be a great fit, because that environment would make me push too hard, and I know from past experience that's how one gets injured.

And there are things I see done in Crossfit boxes that make me cringe in fear of seeing someone getting hurt. Kipping pull-ups for example.

Most days I can push myself to perform at demanding levels without the assistance of a group to urge me on. In fact, most of the time I have to be careful that I don't over-train. Since I am über competitive by nature, Crossfit and I would not be a great fit, because that environment would make me push too hard, and I know from past experience that's how one gets injured.

Oddly (for a fat, non-athletic, academic 63 year old woman) I am the same way. I seem to have taken to lifting really well, but the down side is that now that I am feeling more successful I find I get pretty competitive if I don't watch out. I try really hard to compete with myself only, but still, it is hard not to notice what others are lifting at the gym.

Also, I could probably lift maybe 50% heavier weights if I wanted to, once, but my form would get a lot worse if I did and I would probably get injured. Still, I am lifting about 3 times as much I lifted a year ago when I started, by attending consistently and slowly, sanely increasing, and I feel very accomplished relative to my starting level of complete and utter non-fitness. That sense of accomplishment motives me to continue. Good enough for me.

Oh, and by the way I had a routine doctor's appointment on Dec 28th, and my doctor is very happy with the effects of lifting on my overall health. I still need to lose lots of weight, but apparently I am doing fine on the exercise front. :D I haven't been doing much if any cardio and should probably add some, but meanwhile reasonably prompt, not-quite-brisk lifting seems to be helping on that front.

And there are things I see done in Crossfit boxes that make me cringe in fear of seeing someone getting hurt. Kipping pull-ups for example.
I had no idea what a kipping pull-up might be, so I just looked it up on youtube. Those people are CRAZY, IMHO!! :LOL: At least for me, it would be because that kind of activity would pull my arms almost out of their sockets.

Last edited:
W2R/Leonidas,

I have the same concerns as you two. I tend to be a competitive person, and if I were being egged on by fellow members or a stop watch, I'd end up over exerting and risking injury. I have been lifting weights for several years now, and the 3X/week for ~ 1hr schedule with gradual progression has been a good recipe for me. However, I have seen my weight gradually increase and I'm now about 202 lbs, and this has elevated my BP a bit. I had essentially eliminated cardio altogether other than 5 minute elliptyical warm ups. For 2012, I need to work the nutrition side more diligently and increase my cardio (will probably just resort to walking on non-workout days until I can spring for a Concept 2) and hopefully won't lose too much muscle in the process. I think for me, my ideal weight given my frame size would be about 175-180 lbs.

I have to admit thought that Crossfit does look like fun and stuff like that does appeal to me, but I'm at a point I know my limitations.

W2R/Leonidas,

I have the same concerns as you two. I tend to be a competitive person, and if I were being egged on by fellow members or a stop watch, I'd end up over exerting and risking injury. I have been lifting weights for several years now, and the 3X/week for ~ 1hr schedule with gradual progression has been a good recipe for me. However, I have seen my weight gradually increase and I'm now about 202 lbs, and this has elevated my BP a bit. I had essentially eliminated cardio altogether other than 5 minute elliptyical warm ups. For 2012, I need to work the nutrition side more diligently and increase my cardio (will probably just resort to walking on non-workout days until I can spring for a Concept 2) and hopefully won't lose too much muscle in the process. I think for me, my ideal weight given my frame size would be about 175-180 lbs.

I have to admit thought that Crossfit does look like fun and stuff like that does appeal to me, but I'm at a point I know my limitations.

Me too, DFW_M5. I love the weight machines but haven't quite yet established that great love of cardio that some people have. I don't have a Concept2 either, but I do have a great exercycle so I need to start riding it again. Since all my blood tests were so stellar, my doctor said that if I would just lose some weight he might be able to take me off my blood sugar, BP, and/or cholesterol meds in six months when he sees me again. That is not easy for me, but what a huge incentive. :D

I think that Crossfit is like anything else. If you push to hard or do it incorrectly you'll get into trouble.

I go to a Sports Fitness class once a week that is based on Crossfit and I like it a lot. I would recommend it say twice a week in a general fitness program. Just ease into it slowly.

DW accuses me of being ultra-competitive but I have learned to back off when necessary.

Frequently my class is me and a bunch of 20 somethings (I'm 54) but that is OK if there is something that I don't want to do I substitute something else. I doubt that I'll ever do a handstand pushup for example.

I also do a lot of other things though. Typical week is 3 days of running, 3 days of swimming, a 40-60 miles bike on the weekend, a yoga class or two, one additional day of strength training, and tennis and b-ball (i.e. the fun stuff) whenever possible.

I am fairly fit (I often place in my age group in local running races and triathlons) so it was fairly easy for me

I deplore cardio. I have been doing 15 minutes on the elliptical for the past month, before I lift. This is 4 days a week. It is by far the hardest party of my workout, just because I hate doing it.

Wouldn't you know it, the exercise is getting easier. Not only the cardio, but I recover faster between sets and can tolerate more work. I might keep it up.

Certainly the reputation earned by Crossfit does not apply equally to every single one of its members and instructors. Some instructors know what they are doing and only become a Crossfit affiliate for the marketing value. The problem is identifying the instructors that will safely tailor a group fitness program to your personal ability and physical limitations. The less fit someone is, the harder that can be.

Since all my blood tests were so stellar, my doctor said that if I would just lose some weight he might be able to take me off my blood sugar, BP, and/or cholesterol meds in six months when he sees me again. That is not easy for me, but what a huge incentive. :D

I'm on the same meds and would like to get rid of them as well. It certainly is a huge incentive, and I hope you will be successful in getting there.

My BP has crept up to 125/70 with the weight gain, cholesterol/tryglicerides are rock bottom, last A1C 5.4 but my fasting blood glucose is typically around 100+. Carbs are my nemisis. I hope that when I retire I will be more fastidious on both the exercise and diet side of things.

I find it motivational in hearing what others are doing from an exercise and diet perspective. We have some very health conscious members here at ERF.:dance:

My advice to anyone that doesn't like cardio is to go outside!

I think that treadmills, elliptical trainers, stationary bikes and especially rowing machines are incredibly boring. After a couple of minutes I'm looking at my watch thinking about how soon I can quit.

But a 10 mile trail run in the local open space preserve or a three hour bike ride though the Santa Cruz mountains, pure bliss!

Just checked out a cross fit gym near me today. Wow are they expensive! Anywhere from 100 to 200 a month depending on the contract. I noticed online that cost is a big issue. I decided I'm not willing to put in the type of dedication that it would require at that price! I watched the games on ESPN's website. I admire the competitors but like previously stated a lot of those people were already athletes.

Back
Top Bottom