Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there any kind of "workaround" where people who would otherwise use the "exchanges" can instead get on a group plan? Has the present situation (which exists in many places now) spawned any non-employer groups to buy group plans? Every set of rules/laws, especially those designed to hand out free stuff, result in the creation of entities which exist to take advantage of those rules.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How is that going to work in an orderly manner when 100K people need insurance plans to replace BCBS leaving the market? What if they all cap at 10K, how are the other 50K supposed to get insurance?
The other 50k would end up on Blue Plus, which is not implementing enrollment limits. I doubt the details will be publicized. Shop early for best selection.
Quote:
In addition, each insurer except for Blue Plus will limit its total 2017 enrollment to manage its financial or provider network capacity to absorb the many current Blue Cross consumers who will be shopping for new plans.

Reference: Reference: https://morningconsult.com/alert/min...hange-reforms/
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
The other 50k would end up on Blue Plus, which is not implementing enrollment limits. I doubt the details will be publicized. Shop early for best selection.
I thought BlueCross was not going to offer plan to individuals in 2017. Blue Plus is a BCBS product. Perhaps the Blue Plus announcement referred specifically to Blue Plus Medicaid coverage.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I thought BlueCross was not going to offer plan to individuals in 2017. Blue Plus is a BCBS product. Perhaps the Blue Plus announcement referred specifically to Blue Plus Medicaid coverage.
Blue Cross is not offering individual plans but their subsidiary Blue Plus will be on the 2017 exchange.

Quote:
Starting in 2017, our presence in the individual market will be limited to our Blue Plus HMO.
The last day of coverage for all other Blue Cross individual and family plans, other than those offered through Blue Plus HMO, will be December 31, 2016.

Reference: https://www.bluecrossmn.com/healthy/...s%20for%202017
Old 10-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #85
Administrator

Clever. Blue Plus will offer 4 plans in Minnesota in 2017 (link here). Actually, one plan, customized for location. Browsing the links, what BCBS has done is discontinue their previous BlueCard PPO plans and replace them with new PPO plans that have BlueCard Coverage outside of Minnesota but limited local networks. A new hybrid broad / restricted network.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Is there any kind of "workaround" where people who would otherwise use the "exchanges" can instead get on a group plan? Has the present situation (which exists in many places now) spawned any non-employer groups to buy group plans? Every set of rules/laws, especially those designed to hand out free stuff, result in the creation of entities which exist to take advantage of those rules.
In our state, before ACA, the Chamber of Commerce offered a small group plan through BCBS. If you owned a small business and were a member of hte Chamber, you could get in on it. I formed an LLC and joined and that is the HI plan we used. The LLC theoretically offered HI to its employees and spouses at its cost but as a practical reality I just paid BCBS the premium. The LLC ended up not doing anything other than providing HI to its employees.

I'm not sure if similar workarounds are offered in other states or not. Also, some professional associations used to sponsor HI plans similar to the way the Chamber did.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You (or your broker/navigator) must use the exchange if you qualify for and want to receive the subsidies. If you do not qualify for subsidies, you can purchase individual plans directly from an insurer which may offer more choices and sometimes with broader provider networks. If both you and your spouse need coverage but do not qualify for subsidies, ask an independent agent if "two person group plans" are available in your area.

Sales of non-compliant short-term medical plans have increased due to young, healthy persons signing up. Also, see the Healthcare Sharing Ministries thread.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Are all plans now ACA compliant? That is you can assume off-exchange plans will meet the requirements?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Anthem Blue Cross and it is going up 30% next year. That's for a bronze plan in CA.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Are all plans now ACA compliant? That is you can assume off-exchange plans will meet the requirements?
Yes.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Minnesota Individual Health Insurance Policies - 2017 Average Rate Changes
Blue Plus 55.00%
Group Health 53.00%
HealthPartners 50.00%
Medica Ins Co 57.50%
Medica Health Plans of WI 59.40%
PreferredOne 63.00%
Ucare 66.80%

BCBS pulled out of market- all wanted to pull out and the state got them to stay by approving large increases. Who knows what 2018 will bring....

source: http://mn.gov/commerce-stat/pdfs/rat...acket-2017.pdf
Those are stunning rate increases. My premiums are only increasing 4.5% in 2017 (BCBS proposed 6.3%). Across all BCBS policies the rate increase is 8.2%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Short-term medical (STM) plans are not compliant but any other major medical plan you can purchase today is ACA compliant.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I just got a notice that my plan from BCBS MO (individual, off-exchange) will not be available in 2017. Nothing yet on their Web site about what WILL be available; they just say to visit during Open Enrollment. I hope it's not like last year, where Coventry discontinued my policy and sent a link to one I "might like", which had ZERO out-of-network coverage. Sigh. I'm glad I become eligible for Medicare early in 2018.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

My 28 year old unemployed daughter is eligible for ACA coverage, however I've continued paying for her Alabama BCBS individual coverage including dental @ $290 per month. I think BCBS is about the only large insurer left in this state.

I consider myself fortunate up to this point, as BCBS has been going in the hole because she has to go to the doctor monthly for Adderal prescriptions. It's the future that really scares me.

What astounds me is that the ACA and general state of healthcare insurance is almost a non-subject in the current political arena. This is a serious issue that touches millions and millions of voters that's not being touched. Surely the ACA cannot last much longer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
..........What astounds me is that the ACA and general state of healthcare insurance is almost a non-subject in the current political arena.............
I hear it mentioned regularly. They say repeal it, repeal it, repeal it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:57 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I just turned 65 and started Medicare. I did not realize that my wife's BCBS ACA plan would double what it was before. I am concerned what her ACA will cost next year in Alabama. She still has 5 years before she can get Medicare.

When Obamacare started we had Gold plans, we then had to switch to a Silver plan for our budget. I guess we will have to look at Bronze plans next.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #97
gone traveling

ACA = each year pay substantially more for substantially less coverage
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #98
Administrator

Rubenray, you can look up the rate requests here https://ratereview.healthcare.gov. Looks like BCBS intends to continue selling individual policies, and they will be pricier.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I just turned 65 and started Medicare. I did not realize that my wife's BCBS ACA plan would double what it was before. I am concerned what her ACA will cost next year in Alabama. She still has 5 years before she can get Medicare.

When Obamacare started we had Gold plans, we then had to switch to a Silver plan for our budget. I guess we will have to look at Bronze plans next.
A lot of couples on ACA don't realize this, your family cap on payment amount doesn't really change if you go from two people to one person. Since your payment is based on income. This causes your out of pocket expense it rise when one of you goes on Med
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Clever. Blue Plus will offer 4 plans in Minnesota in 2017 (link here). Actually, one plan, customized for location. Browsing the links, what BCBS has done is discontinue their previous BlueCard PPO plans and replace them with new PPO plans that have BlueCard Coverage outside of Minnesota but limited local networks. A new hybrid broad / restricted network.
It's not clever for me, as the network I would qualify for based on residence only covers doctors from my house in West Central MN to the South Dakota border, which eliminates all the big hospital within 100 miles of my home, which would be where I would want to be cared for, I dont want to be limited to small town hospitals which are basically for delivering babies and patching people up and shipping them to the Metro area for more attention
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote