2019 ACA HI Registration Experiences

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is a thread to share your experiences, problems, questions, etc, on the registration for ACA Health Insurance. Not really intended to be about plan costs, fairness, things like that, but rather the sign up process itself, including getting information.

For me it was pretty painless. I logged in before 8am and there was some kind of message that they were getting it ready. Too early, OK.

Tried again after lunch. Got right in. A lot of questions for info they already had from last year, but I could pretty much click right through.

I filled in the same expected income amount as last year, and it was accepted without problems. I wonder if they're going to go back later to my 2017 income, when I elected to take more cap gains and convert more of my Roth and was not eligible, and reject my subsidy. Worst case I can resolve it at tax time but I'd rather have it upfront.

Onto plans: you can let them guide you by expected usage, or just see all the plans. I opted for the latter; I'd rather see all of my options, especially since I really don't know how 2019 will go medically for me. HSA plans are highlighted in the list nicely, no having to rely on the plan name or dig into details.

The only issue I had was trying to find out if my providers were in plans. First, it's not really intuitive, then it's not accurate for Anthem, anyway.

There's a box to click to check for medical providers and drugs. You type in a name, and hit search, and it gives the matches. You have to click the one you want. Then you can search again and add more doctors or drugs. Then...what? I'm not even sure where I wound up, but it didn't do anything with the searches. I found a filter button, and had to select the doctors again, then Apply the filters.

Problem is, I got no matches for my doctors. Then I went to the Anthem plan I wanted, selected Details, and clicked a link for provider search. I think this took me to an Anthem-specific search, and I did find my doctors there, as I expected. Confusing and disturbing though that they didn't show up with the ACA filtered search. I think last week I tried a doctor in a different plan and it did work, so it might just be Anthem, and maybe even just my area.

I went ahead and enrolled, since you can change you plan anytime before Dec 15. I did not pay the first premium though. I really don't expect to change plans, but just in case.

While writing this, my session timed out, so I logged back in and saw that my enrollment is confirmed, which is nice to know that I didn't miss a Submit button or anything like that. All I have to do is pay my first premium before Jan 1.

Overall, pretty pleased with the process. It was nice to see that there were no first delay web issues.

Biggest complaint is only BCBSNC is offering plans. That's not a "signup process" issue, though, I guess. Also, no ability to see pricing on medications, making it impossible to really "shop" that aspect, which is the whole purpose of the site. A "marketplace" without prices isn't very valuable.

The flaw you found on showing if doctors were in network...same thing here: Doctors that are clearly in-network on the BCBSNC site show as NOT as in-network on hc.gov.

Sorry, there are reasons I don't see threads started by some people. Please feel free to merge mine into the other thread, preferably deleting my first paragraph so it doesn't sound like I'm giving instructions for someone else's thread. (and no need to merge this post either, if that's not asking too much)

I am new to this process this year and it seemed fairly painless. The main problem I had was it asked if I had coverage this year through an employer or outside of the ACA and when it was to end. When I clicked on it would end on December 31, 2018 it kept coming back and said I must enter a date less than 60 days from today. I finally ended up changing it to December 30, 2018 to get it to continue, hopefully that won't cause me any problems down the road.

Since I plan on only taking my company pension for the next two years to qualify for the subsidy it came back and wanted me to submit documents proving my income. The only thing I had was my monthly pension check statement so I hope that is enough.

I live in TN and last year apparently BCBS was the only provider and since they had blown their rates up so high they were down about $250 a month for the cheapest bronze plan compared to last year, but it still came out to about $700 a month for me which the subsidy covered. There are 2 more companies offering coverage this year, Cigna and Health Spring which I've never heard of but each of them has significantly higher monthly rates than BCBS and didn't cover my doctor or prescriptions so I can't see why anyone would choose them.

Sorry, there are reasons I don't see threads started by some people. Please feel free to merge mine into the other thread, preferably deleting my first paragraph so it doesn't sound like I'm giving instructions for someone else's thread. (and no need to merge this post either, if that's not asking too much)

Right I know what causes that have often wondered if it's possible to code that feature so that you can still see a thread title if you want to.

Signed up this morning with a broker. BCBS has the widest net of docs and hospitals, services. My broker said BC discounts bigger than the other local plan. That's why local mega hospital doesn't want to honor BCBS. It was easy and fast, $60/mo with $3K deductible. We have other choices in the area that accept BC. Took HSA high deductible plan.

Back
Top Bottom