Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I did 23andme a long time ago, before FDA shut them down a while. I'm adopted and had no family health information, so I found the results good in knowing what to screen for medically in the future. The descriptive data they gave me matched me. I do get some contacts from distant relative matches, but nothing close - I have more Neanderthal DNA than what these relatives match up to .
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I see some mention of health related info, can someone elaborate (specifically to the Ancestry.com test)?

Disregard...I located the information...
Old 07-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Once you accept your pedigree is "mutt" (something I accepted long ago despite my illustrious Investment Banking career) and you've made peace with the notion you're going to die (eventually, of something) to my mind these tests are of minor value to me. Indeed, most likely more a source of angst than enlightenment.
I think it is fine to say they are of minor value to you. But, for some of us they are quite valuable. I have tested at both Ancestry and 23andme.

The testing was invaluable to me as it enabled me to identify my deceased birthfather. I am an adoptee. I started searching for my birthmother in the 1970s. It took a long time to find her but I eventually found her about 20 years ago.

But, I couldn't find my birthfather. She had some information about him, but I couldn't find him despite checking various databases and online sources. I had accepted that I would never find him and recognized at some point that he was likely deceased (she is alive but in her late 80s now).

But, then I found out DNA testing was being used to help find birthfamily. I got my DNA information on Ancestry and started looking at my matches and who they were related to. I quickly found a number of matches on Ancestry all descended from a particular couple. I started searching trees of all of their descendants. It took me not very long at all to find my birthfather. Unfortunately, he died a number of years ago but it was very meaningful to me to find this information.

So, for me this completed a search that I started over 40 years ago.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I think it is fine to say they are of minor value to you. But, for some of us they are quite valuable. I have tested at both Ancestry and 23andme.

The testing was invaluable to me as it enabled me to identify my deceased birthfather. I am an adoptee. I started searching for my birthmother in the 1970s. It took a long time to find her but I eventually found her about 20 years ago.

But, I couldn't find my birthfather. She had some information about him, but I couldn't find him despite checking various databases and online sources. I had accepted that I would never find him and recognized at some point that he was likely deceased (she is alive but in her late 80s now).

But, then I found out DNA testing was being used to help find birthfamily. I got my DNA information on Ancestry and started looking at my matches and who they were related to. I quickly found a number of matches on Ancestry all descended from a particular couple. I started searching trees of all of their descendants. It took me not very long at all to find my birthfather. Unfortunately, he died a number of years ago but it was very meaningful to me to find this information.

So, for me this completed a search that I started over 40 years ago.

I did acknowledge others would/could clearly feel the opposite.

Interestingly, you chose to end my quote before that... [emoji848]
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #25

I have never done the 23 and me test. Does it give exact countries for matches or just general areas of the World? It might be interesting to compare what I think I know about my ancestry on both sides and see if 23 and me confirms that or makes me rethink everything again.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I have never done the 23 and me test. Does it give exact countries for matches or just general areas of the World? It might be interesting to compare what I think I know about my ancestry on both sides and see if 23 and me confirms that or makes me rethink everything again.
My report shows me to be 100% European, and then breaks that down to parts of Europe, and then subparts.

(edited to add the regions I had 0%, after I found where they show it. I can add the breakout of the other continents if anyone wants it.)

NW European
-----------
British & Irish
French & German
Finnish
Scandanavian
Broadly NW

Eastern European (not further broken out)

Southern European
------------
Sardinian
Italian
Iberian
Balkan
Broadly southern

Ashkenazi Jewish (not broken out)

Broadly European (single digit % in my case so it's not like they just say 75% and a pinch of others, at least for for me)

I expected 50/50 British+Irish+Scandanvian / Eastern European, and I came out not too far from that. 52.1/37.5, so I guess one great grandparent was non-eastern. That's the only number that works out to be an even fraction to say that "exactly" 3 of 8 ancestors come from a specific place. The others are odd percentages which either show gaps in the knowledge, or more of a mutt heritage. I guess one mutt could throw all the other numbers off.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I found out I have an aunt, age 80 who looks just like me only older, who I never knew about. She was the illegitimate kid of my grandfather, before he ever married or had other kids. It was a huge family secret no one ever mentioned until I recently did the 23andme test and she popped up as being closely related.
I messaged her and she immediately knew who I was - said she'd tried to send presents to us kids but they were returned to her by my parents who said we kids would not understand- and she was cut off from the family due to the "scandal" that dated back to the 1930s.
She and I have since spoken and emailed and plan to meet for the first time soon.
workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The ancestry was interesting, but I was more interested in what my genes show me to be of higher risk for, especially for things I could prevent, or work around. If I showed a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer's, I would probably be more proactive in making arrangements for power of attorney, for example.

The Promethease report also shows things some medicines I might have trouble metabolizing, so I might discuss with my doc to see about alternatives, or perhaps increase dosage. I just got the report 2 days ago so I haven't absorbed nearly all of it.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I opted out of contacting and being able to be contacted by relatives. I'm a little afraid of one showing up on my doorstep with their hand out.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
I found out I have an aunt, age 80 who looks just like me only older, who I never knew about. She was the illegitimate kid of my grandfather, before he ever married or had other kids. It was a huge family secret no one ever mentioned until I recently did the 23andme test and she popped up as being closely related.
I messaged her and she immediately knew who I was - said she'd tried to send presents to us kids but they were returned to her by my parents who said we kids would not understand- and she was cut off from the family due to the "scandal" that dated back to the 1930s.
She and I have since spoken and emailed and plan to meet for the first time soon.
What a nice story!
I encountered someone via 23andme who was predicted to be my first cousin since we share 7.5% of our DNA. I contacted her and we exchanged a few emails. Figured out that first cousin wouldn't be possible due to age difference, but first cousin once removed is certainly possible.

Unfortunately, she was adopted as an infant and has no knowledge of her birth parents. She hasn't made the effort to try to track them down because of "all the red tape" as she put it. So our actual relationship will remain a little mystery.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
You can't get specific countries because some regions weren't even countries until relatively recently in world history. For example, a genetic test probably cannot distinguish between Swedish and Norwegian because with the exception of isolated groups like the Saami, there's really only one population there, so your test results will just say Scandinavian.

And even then, Scandinavians will share a whole lot of common alleles with everyone else in Northern Europe, because of migration, trade, intermarriage, etc. Even if you're nominally "English", what does that even mean? Anglo, Saxon, Pictish, Celtic, Roman, Viking? A lot of peoples left their DNA there.

I'm also leery of these very exact percentages. It's been a while since I took biology in school, but I don't think you get exactly 25% of your DNA from any one of your grandparents. Meiosis doesn't guarantee a 50/50 split in each chromosome. It's entirely possible that your sibling could be tested and found to have some ancestry that you don't have just because you didn't happen to get any of the region-specific alleles from that ancestor. If you get a result that says you're 18% Scandinavian and 32% Southern Europe, you might still have one grandparent from Sweden and one from Italy, it's just that the subset of your DNA that the test looked at had more genetic material from the Italian grandparent than the Swedish one.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
What a nice story!
I encountered someone via 23andme who was predicted to be my first cousin since we share 7.5% of our DNA. I contacted her and we exchanged a few emails. Figured out that first cousin wouldn't be possible due to age difference, but first cousin once removed is certainly possible.

Unfortunately, she was adopted as an infant and has no knowledge of her birth parents. She hasn't made the effort to try to track them down because of "all the red tape" as she put it. So our actual relationship will remain a little mystery.
That's interesting! I think 23andme lists most people as "cousins". It had my aunt listed as a cousin, sharing 16 percent dna. She is my "half aunt" as her father is my grandfather - but her mother is not my grandmother.

Sounds like your relative could be a "half cousin" but you never know. Maybe she does not want to find out the whole story at this point in time.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
Sounds like your relative could be a "half cousin"
No such thing as a "half cousin" in genealogy.

Here's a chart that shows the proper terminology. You can use this to quickly determine the exact relationship you have with any relative.

RELATIONSHIP CHART
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No such thing as a "half cousin" in genealogy.

Here's a chart that shows the proper terminology. You can use this to quickly determine the exact relationship you have with any relative.

RELATIONSHIP CHART
The chart is a great help to me. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
The chart is a great help to me. Thanks!
Yes, true. However, my cousins from my Aunt (who has a different mother than my grandmother, and who's father is my grandfather) have approximately 1/2 as much dna shared as my cousins from my Uncle (who's father is my grandfather, and mother is my grandmother).

That Uncle and Aunt are siblings, but only have the same father (my grandfather), not the same mother.

Technically the term half cousin does not exist, but I don't know what term to use instead, to describe the situation.

If I ever get a chance to meet my Aunt's children, who live far across the country, I suppose we'd call each other cousins and leave off the "half" as that's not a real term.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I'm also leery of these very exact percentages. It's been a while since I took biology in school, but I don't think you get exactly 25% of your DNA from any one of your grandparents. Meiosis doesn't guarantee a 50/50 split in each chromosome. It's entirely possible that your sibling could be tested and found to have some ancestry that you don't have just because you didn't happen to get any of the region-specific alleles from that ancestor. If you get a result that says you're 18% Scandinavian and 32% Southern Europe, you might still have one grandparent from Sweden and one from Italy, it's just that the subset of your DNA that the test looked at had more genetic material from the Italian grandparent than the Swedish one.
I think I'm the only one who posted %s? I had assumed 50/50 split, so thanks for pointing out that isn't necessarily true. I actually only had one that looked exact, the 37.5%(3/8), but sometimes numbers will happen to add up to look even. In other words, maybe one parent was a little more than 75% eastern European, but I got less than 50% from that parent and it happen to work out to 37.5% in me, rounded to the nearest tenth, as all their numbers seem to be.

All my other % numbers are uneven, except the 100% European. That makes sense if all my ancestors are European based, since the numbers have to add up to 100%.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #37
Administrator

Mine says I am 99.9% European, 94% NW European, predominantly British & Irish. It will be fun to review with with DM, who always said there was more German ancestry, while these tests show less.

DW has less than 5% NW European, so our kids are real mixed up! We ordered kits for them on Amazon Prime day (1/2 price) so we'll see how the genes split up.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #38

The results were interesting - and in our family's case there WAS some actionable info.

DH is 94% southern European - given that all 4 grandparents emigrated from Sicily - it makes sense.

I'm 90% NW European - mostly british isles... confirming I'm a pasty white chick. LOL.

It confirmed that I don't have the BRCAA gene and DH doesn't have the alzheimer gene. That was huge for both of us - we both had family reasons to want to check those genes.

It confirmed that DH has one variation of the MTHFR mutations, and I have the other variation... and one of our sons got the short straw and inherited BOTH mutations. This means his body doesn't produce the correct enzyme to break down b9 and b12. It can cause mental health issues (the neurotransmitters need the broken down form of b9 and b-12 to regulate... ), it can cause heart and stroke issues because homocystienes aren't properly dealt with, etc... The action is easy - take bio-available (methylized) forms of b-9 and b12. So we all take methylfolate and methylcolban now.

The final big eye opener was to find out my first cousins are slightly less related to me than we thought... turns out Grandma may have had an affair along the way because my aunt and my dad had different fathers. My cousin who discovered this was devastated.... he'd spent years tracing the line of the man he thought was his biological grandfather.... He compared DNA with one of the 2nd cousins he'd tracked down and had no match... so he used my DNA files to compare - and bingo a match. My aunt refuses to discuss it - why dig up stuff about dead people (her parents, our grandparents). I agree with my aunt about this.

So... it can open a can of worms... but in our case - the medical info was incredibly useful.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Mine says I am 99.9% European, 94% NW European, predominantly British & Irish. It will be fun to review with with DM, who always said there was more German ancestry, while these tests show less.

DW has less than 5% NW European, so our kids are real mixed up! We ordered kits for them on Amazon Prime day (1/2 price) so we'll see how the genes split up.
Do NOT argue with your mother. If she says your German, then thats the end of discussion.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #40

Has anyone done DNA testing from more than one source and compared them?

Like Ancestry and 23andme for example?