Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Since we've been paying for ltc insurance for 10 years, I'd hate to lose it from taking this test.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Update NYT op-ed on gene testing costs:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/op...test.html?_r=0

Old 05-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Update NYT op-ed on gene testing costs:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/op...test.html?_r=0
A snippet, perhaps, or summary for those who cannot get past the NYT paywall?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #64

Gotta figure out how to post free NYT links ... sorry...

excerpt:
Quote:
ANGELINA JOLIE’S revelation that she had had a preventive double mastectomy was eloquent and brave. She had learned that she inherited a faulty copy of a gene, BRCA1, that put her at high risk for invasive breast cancer as well as ovarian cancer. Now women everywhere are asking: Should I get the same test? What will it cost?

Only one in about 400 women carry mutations to BRCA1 or to a related gene BRCA2, though such hereditary defects are implicated in between 5 percent and 10 percent of all breast cancers. The majority of the 230,000 cases of breast cancer diagnosed annually in the United States are not related to these genes. But if you’re that one in 400 women, you’d want to know so you could make informed decisions about your health care.

Unlike routine tests for diabetes or high cholesterol, however, the BRCA gene evaluation — performed by only one company in the United States, Myriad Genetics — is phenomenally expensive, with a “list price” close to $4,000 when a related genomic-rearrangement test is included in the analysis, which oncologists typically recommend.

The question is why? Today, molecular scientists like me can sequence all of an individual’s genes — at least 20,000 of them — for about $1,000. About five cents per gene.

One company, 23andMe, charges people $99 to see if they have gene variants that put them at higher risk for 120 diseases and whether they carry a known heritable mutation in an additional 50, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease and Tay-Sachs disease.
The rest of the op ed was outrage about the fact that the gene research company justifies the excess charges by stating that insurance companies would be paying most of the charges.

An interesting justification? The new philosophy of science?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was wondering if you knew if this test covered things like Crigler Naajar syndrome? I'm pretty certain that I'm going to die someday, but would love to know if I was going to pass something this bad down to someone. I don't personally have it but my partner does. This means that if both of us have the mutated gene we could produce children with a fatal illness.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powor View Post
I was wondering if you knew if this test covered things like Crigler Naajar syndrome? I'm pretty certain that I'm going to die someday, but would love to know if I was going to pass something this bad down to someone. I don't personally have it but my partner does. This means that if both of us have the mutated gene we could produce children with a fatal illness.
Powor,

The site says "the 23andMe service includes genetic analysis on all of the following diseases and conditions. This list grows every month as new research is published."

Here's a list of what they test for currently https://www.23andme.com/health/all/

At a quick glance, I did not see Crigler Najjar syndrome listed.

omni
Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #67

I just received my first batch of results from 23andMe. I was prompted to sign up, in part, from this thread. Also because cancer is strong in my family, and we're dealing with alzheimer's in DH's family. I'd previously paid big bucks to get tested for the BRCAx genes. (Negative thank goodness.) My mom died of ovarian cancer. And most of my other relatives died of various cancers as well - my family is a little micro-cancer cluster. Both parents had cancer(s), my brother died young (48) of cancer, after beating his first cancer... my first cousin is on his second malignancy, his sister had cancer... it's very scary.

Anyway - it confirms I don't have the BRCA cancer gene. I have a 1.13 higher chance of bladder cancer, but a much reduced risk of melanoma. Overall, the cancer data was very reassuring. I'll still remain vigilant in monitoring, but it's good to know I don't have any of the big known "gotcha" genes.

It also confirms that I have higher odds of having red hair and freckles. (correct). And lower risk of melanoma... which often comes with fair skin. (And was the first cancer my brother had - and beat.) Oh - and that I have funky crypts in my irises. That's also true.

The only negatives I saw was that I am at slightly higher risk for kidney disease. Oh and I'm susceptible to Heroin addiction... so I should probably avoid shooting up the junk. I think I can make that lifestyle choice. LOL.

My DH is still waiting for his results. We talked about the alzheimer gene - and will arrange our retirement planning around doing some of his bucket list items sooner in retirement if he has it... We'll also make sure we have a plan for caregiving in the long term.

Overall - I'm very relieved with the results.

I hope DH's results are also majority positive news.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #68

The CEO of 23 and me was on cbs news this morning.
23andMe CEO Anne Wojcicki talks genetic testing, her company's goals - CBS News Video
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #69

I'm thinking of getting this for my sister for Christmas. Kinda a cool idea, and something I think she'd like, considering her interest in genealogy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #70

DW and DD just received their kits, so it will be a while before the results come back. As for me, I am kind of up in the air as to what I want or don't want to know.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #71

Reminds me that DW and I are going to do this. I'll offer to the kids but I'm not sure they're interested, or can handle the results.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #72

We were just talking about this at a dinner with friends, earlier this week. My friend is getting kits for her parents for Christmas.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did this back in January. Interesting stuff. Not really useful so far, but certainly interesting.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #74

Ancestry.com also offers the service for $99.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Ancestry.com also offers the service for $99.
Does ancestry give you the health info? Their webpage only mentions ethnicity and family matching... Which fits into their core business.

I was curious if it gave you the same health info - like cancer risks, etc.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #76

Is there any track record for how reliable these companies are? And accurate in their testing? I am intrigued but wondering whether it is worth it.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

The reliability is dependent on the number of people who contribute their data, so it's constantly improving.

I was intrigued to see that I supposedly have and elevated risk for psoriasis, gallstones, and restless legs syndrome, but what does that really tell me?

Similarly, I have a decreased risk for a lot of things. Alzheimer's disease, macular degeneration (which my mother had), melanoma, and a bunch of others. That's heartening, but decreased risk is not no risk. We'll see.

What's interesting is that there are always a bunch of surveys they ask you to take, and as more survey results are tabulated, your results are continually updated so you get more information about those risks.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have my results, and have sent a gift kit to a friend.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Does ancestry give you the health info? Their webpage only mentions ethnicity and family matching... Which fits into their core business.

I was curious if it gave you the same health info - like cancer risks, etc.
I don't know and I am wondering the same.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Don't wanna know the answer, don't ask the question.

I don't want to know about my chances for brain diseases. Maybe stupid on my part, but I don't want to 'know' what may happen if I live X more years.

I might get run over by the beer truck tomorrow. I don't want to know that in advance either.

MRG