Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got the following e-mail from 23andMe. I am not asking for refund since my interest was mostly on raw/ancestry genetic info.

Dear 23andMe Customers,

Thank you for your recent 23andMe purchase.

At this time, we have suspended the health-related part of our service to comply with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s directive on November 22, 2013 to discontinue new consumer access during our regulatory review process.

As a result, this means we will not be able to provide you with access to the 23andMe health-related results from your purchase.

We will be able to provide you with both ancestry-related genetic information as well as your raw genetic data, without 23andMe’s interpretation.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We understand this is not the product you purchased. If you would like a full refund for your order, we encourage you to click here and follow the on-screen instructions.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #122

Another update via email. Here is the relevant portion:

Quote:
If you are a customer whose kit was purchased before November 22, 2013, your 23andMe experience will not change. You will be able to access both ancestry and health-related information as you always have.

23andMe has complied with the FDA's directive and stopped offering new consumers access to health-related genetic results while the company moves forward with the agency's regulatory review processes. Be sure to refer to our 23andMe blog for updates.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #123

Just got DW's ancestry only results. For me, the information is worth the money. I am waiting for my results to be posted. Can't wait ....
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Just got DW's ancestry only results. For me, the information is worth the money. I am waiting for my results to be posted. Can't wait ....
That's encouraging. I just sent in a DNA kit from Ancestry.com. I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #125

Just got mine. DW's Neanderthal percentage = 2.7%. Mine, 2.8%. She's been making fun of it all day. Drat.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just got mine. DW's Neanderthal percentage = 2.7%. Mine, 2.8%. She's been making fun of it all day. Drat.
Could be worse - - what if it was 10%, or 20%? With my luck, that's what I would find out if I ever had my own analyzed

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #127

Quote:
If you reread the info on 23andme...those Neanderthal percentages are merely estimates. Perhaps that will help.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

And relatedly, in this week's science news:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...anderthal-dna/

Quote:
....Harvard Medical School geneticists have been looking at which helpful and harmful genetic material present-day humans inherited from our distant Neanderthal cousins. Their findings were published Wednesday in Nature.....

On average, people with no African ancestry can trace about two percent of their genome back to Neanderthals, a species of early human who lived in Europe and Asia 40,000 to 80,000 years ago.They found that Neanderthal DNA has an influence on keratin production, a protein that makes our hair, skin and nails thick and tough. Neanderthal’s likely adapted those traits and by passing them on, helped Homo sapiens survive colder climates. But they also found nine previously identified human genetic variants associated with specific traits from Neanderthals. These variants affect diseases that are related to immune function — including type 2 diabetes or Crohn’s disease — and behaviors, such as the ability to stop smoking....
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #129
gone traveling

DW and DD purchased their kits just before the Nov cutoff date and received their complete results a few weeks ago. Contains a ton of very interesting info.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
DW and DD purchased their kits just before the Nov cutoff date and received their complete results a few weeks ago. Contains a ton of very interesting info.
DD is going to need your test result for more comprehensive data (so they say in 23andme.com site). If not done already, are you going to do it?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
If you reread the info on 23andme...those Neanderthal percentages are merely estimates. Perhaps that will help.

omni
Chuckle. You don't know my DW. It won't help. The result reconfirmed her belief that I am [ fill in the blank ].

Perhaps, my thick legs came from Neanderthal DNA. It helped me with my soccer games when I was young.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #132
gone traveling

Quote:
DD is going to need your test result for more comprehensive data (so they say in 23andme.com site). If not done already, are you going to do it?
That's right. I'll probably wait for them to clear up the FDA issue.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #133
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was thinking about doing the DNA deal, but think its a bit too early to get really significant results. The companies just don't have a large enough data base. If the different agencies could/would exchange info it would help. I did read a funny comment somewhere.
A guy had gotten the test and was really disappointed that it was so inaccurate . Both his parents were English, but the test showed him to be only 50%. His 86 year mother must have gotten tired of hearing him complaining , so she revealed that the man that had raised him was not his real father. His real father had been a close family friend. The news explained why he liked pasta and pizza so much.
franco45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my kit just prior to the shut off date last year and have been impressed with what can be determined ... from my spit. Who knew?

BTW franco45, as the database grows, more studies are done and any information that affects your genome is updated online. This is not just a single static report. I like that.

... 2.7% Neanderthal ... not sure what my Cro-magnon percent is ... sigh
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
I got my kit just prior to the shut off date last year and have been impressed with what can be determined ... from my spit. Who knew?

BTW franco45, as the database grows, more studies are done and any information that affects your genome is updated online. This is not just a single static report. I like that.

... 2.7% Neanderthal ... not sure what my Cro-magnon percent is ... sigh

2.9% for me, and 2.8 for DW. Neanderthal had bigger brain cavity. Ha, there!

My result came out a month ago and I had a lot of fun comparing my genetic info with others in 23andme site. Worth every penny of $99 even without health data.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #136

We just ordered kits for the kids after learning about the MTHR genetic mutation. I was able to look up whether my husband and I have the mutations (we're both heterozygous on one of the markers). My son is having some issues that make me suspect he might have the full mutation (since he might have gotten copies from both of us.)

The labs want $160 to test for just these markers. 23 and me is $99.
Since I now know how to look at specific markers in the raw data - I can look at his data if I log into his account.

We got the full health risk assessment because we did the 23andMe before the FDA got involved. I'm assuming that I can look at my data - determine the SNP markers - and look up those same markers in my kids... so basically - a labor intensive way of determining the same data.

To browse the raw data - log into your 23andMe account, then click on
https://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/snp/

If you know the SNP name - you can look it up in the raw data.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #137

This thread got me energized to get a DNA analysis done. My sisters have been asking me to do it for a couple of years. I e-mailed my sister (the family genealogist) and asked her if 23andme was the right one. She said that she had heard of it but the one from Family Tree with 37 markers is what she needed. Cost $150. Just sent the sample off this morning.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #138

Since 23andme stopped providing their health report, but still provides the raw data, has anyone tried using Promethease https://promethease.com/ to intrepret their raw data. It cost $5 and takes the raw data from 23andme to develop a report. Curious if the report is similar to what 23andme use to report before the FDA got involved.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Since 23andme stopped providing their health report, but still provides the raw data, has anyone tried using Promethease https://promethease.com/ to intrepret their raw data. It cost $5 and takes the raw data from 23andme to develop a report. Curious if the report is similar to what 23andme use to report before the FDA got involved.
I did, as a way of confirming the raw data browsing as well as to look at some of the other health risks that my husband or I have - to see if they have the same risks.

As I mentioned a few posts up, we suspected my son had a mutation of the MTHFR gene. We confirmed this via promethease and via the raw data. He's now on methylized B vitamins to address the mutation's issue (doesn't produce the correct enzyme to break down folate.)

One of the nice things is that it's all stored on your computer, rather than the cloud. So I have the raw 23andMe data, the promethease interpretation, and can use SNPedia to interpret or learn some more.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post

Just did now after reading your post. It's completely worth $5. Thanks for the post.