Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I signed up for 23andme back in January 2013. Both DW and I got kits, and grumbled mightily about all the spit we had to contribute, but we did it.

The health information was interesting, albeit not really useful.

But the genetic information has worked out to be worth every cent.

From time to time, they send me an email about new "family members" they have found for me. I look at the list, and if I see any that are marked as 4th cousin or closer, I send them an invitation to share genomes (not health info).

Most of the time, this has been useless, but recently I got a message from someone in this category, and after trading some info back and forth we discovered that we are third cousins. No big deal, but the kicker was that this opened up a branch of the family that had always been a brick wall for me. It turns out that she is descended from a sibling of my "dead end" ancestor, and now I have way more information -- exactly what I have wanted for years.

So, bottom line, spitting into a test tube can be way more useful than you might expect!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SECOND UPDATE: I've been having a lively email correspondence with my newly-found second cousin in Germany. She sounds delightful. I'm planning on visiting her in September.

Connecting with her energized my sister, BIL and me to work on updating the family tree (created in 1939 by my grandfather for his father's 80th birthday). It's been absolutely fascinating to discover what can be found online today.

There are still a few branches of the family for which we have no new information. Perhaps I should follow braumeister's lead and start sending emails to everyone identified by 23andme as a 4th cousin and closer.

omni

Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
the kicker was that this opened up a branch of the family that had always been a brick wall for me. It turns out that she is descended from a sibling of my "dead end" ancestor, and now I have way more information -- exactly what I have wanted for years.

So, bottom line, spitting into a test tube can be way more useful than you might expect!
I did 23 and me a while back, but have not taken the time to get any real value from it. That's probably because I don't know what cool stuff I could learn. Like you, the health stuff was just 'gee wiz' to me, but it didn't generate anything actionable.

I have linked up with some cousins I know, and one or two more distant cousins that contacted me. I hope I set 'the right' sharing settings!

How does a dead end ancestor manifest on the web site output? In other words, how would I recognize if I had one of those doors to open? Why did you want the info that you got by dicovering this new information? Is it just curiosity?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many years, ago, when my Mom was sick the Doctor advised us we could test against a similar illness. My Aunt and GodMother was in the room and she said absolutely not. Her reason was "all I would do is worry, I'd rather not know" Now, my Mother loved bread and butter, gravy on her potatoes, pies and cakes......and was fairly overweight.

Today, I've outlived my Mother, I'm heavy on salads, veggies, lean fish and chicken and never eat pies or cakes. I excercise, my mother didn't. What's my point? I do what it takes for a long life....I don't know if I'll have one but all testing would do is make me worry. I guess that if there was something very important that a new drug would help I'd test and take it. So far, my formula has worked....I feel great, know I'm aging but am healthy and credit my lifestyle for it.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
How does a dead end ancestor manifest on the web site output? In other words, how would I recognize if I had one of those doors to open? Why did you want the info that you got by dicovering this new information? Is it just curiosity?
I haven't spent any appreciable time on their website, so I'm the wrong person to ask about its capabilities. I've dabbled in my family's genealogy for many years, and I was always stuck on on particular branch (my mother's father ). All the other branches had some good information available through all the many sources I used, but not that one. I had family stories about him and his background, but could never find any documentation.

So when someone with both shared genetic information and also that same name in her family contacted me, it was easy to compare notes. She had a fair amount of documented information on that branch, so I learned a lot.

And yes, just curiosity.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #146

Just sent in my test kit. Wanting to know my percentage Neanderthal but not too interested in the health info but the raw data will be available to me.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Just sent in my test kit. Wanting to know my percentage Neanderthal but not too interested in the health info but the raw data will be available to me.
The science is in: Europeans and Asians have a significant percentage of Neanderthal DNA, Africans don't. Will white supremacists have to start claiming Neanderthals were supermen?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #148

Quote:
That's the kind of thing I wanted to know. There was some evidence floating around in the family that I was substantially Native American. Debunked.

Found out I am even more Mediterranean than I thought I was even with all the light hair and eyes in the family.

Slightly more Neanderthal than regular humans which surprised me because I am not a naturally all muscled up guy, don't have a big hairy chest, and I listen to opera.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Slightly more Neanderthal than regular humans which surprised me because I am not a naturally all muscled up guy, don't have a big hairy chest, and I listen to opera.
Be careful with those stereotypes:

Quote:
Neanderthals sang opera, British archaeologist Steven Mithen, originator of the theory that music was used as a form of pre-linguistic communication by these pre-historic people, told EFE.
“The musicality of the Neanderthals can be identified more with opera than with rap because in addition to music, these hominids also used dance and body language as forms of communication,” said Mithen, author of “The Singing Neanderthals”.
“Rap is associated with a particular type of music based on words and phrases, something the Neanderthals lacked,” Mithen said.
Neanderthal Opera | oboeinsight
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #150

Quote:

Be careful with those stereotypes:

Quote:
Neanderthals sang opera, British archaeologist Steven Mithen, originator of the theory that music was used as a form of pre-linguistic communication by these pre-historic people, told EFE.
“The musicality of the Neanderthals can be identified more with opera than with rap because in addition to music, these hominids also used dance and body language as forms of communication,” said Mithen, author of “The Singing Neanderthals”.
“Rap is associated with a particular type of music based on words and phrases, something the Neanderthals lacked,” Mithen said.

Interesting! So, maybe that why I listen to opera...?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #151

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting! So, maybe that why I listen to opera...?
Hmmm. I recall my dad suggesting Rock N Roll was Neanderthal. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #152

If music and the Neanderthal percentage are correlated, then maybe this song is appropriate for me:

Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #153
Dryer sheet aficionado

I heard of this site (23 and me) several years ago and a friend recommended it, but by the time I looked into it (I didn't really have the money at the time to pay a lot for it too) I thought they were no longer issuing health related information such as genetic predispositions or whatever it was that they had. They are still doing medical information then? I'm surprised.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #154

Eileen,

23andme.com still provides the you with the raw genetic disposition data. There are several companies who will gladly analyze that data for you. Promethease charges $5 and takes about 10 minutes.

How Promethease Is Keeping Direct-to-Consumer Genetics Alive | MIT Technology Review

omni
Old 08-12-2015, 11:50 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Eileen,

23andme.com still provides the you with the raw genetic disposition data. There are several companies who will gladly analyze that data for you. Promethease charges $5 and takes about 10 minutes.

How Promethease Is Keeping Direct-to-Consumer Genetics Alive | MIT Technology Review

omni
+1. Don't think it is as good as the original 23andme translation of results, but way way better than the raw 23andme results.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:01 AM   #156

If you are looking at/for specific markers because of genetic concerns I found SNPedia.com to be useful. If you figure out the specific marker (rsxxxxx) then you can look it up on SNPedia, and while logged onto 23andMe, click on the link on the right side of the SNPedia page for that marker.... It takes you to the 23 and me raw data results.

With 23andMe I was able to reassure myself about cancer markers (I'm clean, despite having 3 of my 4 immediate family members die of cancer.) I was able to see that my family has issues with the MTHFR gene - and added bio-available b vitamins to help with that. And was able to rule out a couple of other concerns.

My husband and I had our tests done before the FDA clamped down on the medical data - my kids had the tests after the fact - but I've been able (with some work) extract the exact same data.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for that info Rodi. I am waiting on my results because I strongly suspect I have the mthfr gene.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #158

I decided I didn't care about the health info so sent my kit into Ancestry.com about 3 weeks ago. They said it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get the results.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #159

I haven't thought about doing the genetic test, but my doctor did the health genetic test on me this year. She went to being a concierge doctor last year and it was one of the perks of the service. After having a mom who died from Alzheimer's, I was pleased to find out that I have the lowest combination of gene type for predisposition towards the disease. Not to say its a guarantee that I wouldn't get it, but my chances are lower than I thought, which is a relief.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #160

If you didn't get in early enough to get past the absurd restriction that the FDA put in place, you can upload your raw data to genetic genie. I did it. It was easy and free. I just re-googled it and found this: https://bekahsfeast.wordpress.com/20...e-dna-results/