Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I haven't thought about doing the genetic test, but my doctor did the health genetic test on me this year. She went to being a concierge doctor last year and it was one of the perks of the service. After having a mom who died from Alzheimer's, I was pleased to find out that I have the lowest combination of gene type for predisposition towards the disease. Not to say its a guarantee that I wouldn't get it, but my chances are lower than I thought, which is a relief.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I'm glad your testing showed good results. I wonder if your mom's would have shown a combination of gene type that predisposed her to Alzheimers--can the tests conclude that your parents had "good" genes, i.e., do our results mean our parents had similar combinations?? I don't know anything about genetic testing other than what DD and her DH went through before having children, but her DH's revealed some genetic combination that had to come through his mother, so wondered if that meant we could extrapolate what our parents' genetic issues were based on our results.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My kit is on the coffee table, waiting for me to spit... :-P

I just want to see if I'm part caveman.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my results from Ancestry.com today. Wil have to spend some time studying them.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I'm wondering if the genetics test would help reveal things about our ancestry via our father's mother, who is a genealogical "blank spot" to us. Would anyone care to speculate? The following is all we know about her.

She died young, from a disease that is easily cureable today. We have no pictures of her; Dad was only 5 when she died, and couldn't even remember what she looked like. I know her maiden name, but can't find her family (not knowing any of her family's names; plus her maiden name is an uncommon last name for the Northeast, although commoner out West). There is one mention of her in the 1910 census. She claimed to be 25, which would give her a birthdate of 1885.

Anyway, family legend is that she was of German and French descent, but the census says her parents were born in New York. Supposedly she had an "Alsatian" surname, but it sounds Scandinavian to me.

Just wondering what, if anything, genetics testing could reveal about her.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I got my results from Ancestry.com today. Wil have to spend some time studying them.
I did the Ancestry DNA test a while back and found it fairly interesting.

The matching with others in ancestry.com looks useful. They showed my closest match is a second cousin who I know. So it was a useful confirmation that they seem to know what they are doing. I'll probably track down some of the further out "cousins" at some point.

Their ethnicity matching is kinda weak, IMHO. It's so general. Apparently they use "Irish" as a stand in for "celtic". "Western European" is apparently "germanic". And what's "Great Britain" suppose to mean since "english" is a pretty broad mixture of celtic and germanic in varying percentages (and maybe throw in a little roman for fun!).

They are something most people can identify with I guess. But I'd rather be able to dive in deeper. I know it's complicated, but that's what's interesting to me.

And it would have been fun to uncover some unknown component - WOW! I've got some Tibetan ancestry I never knew about. But no, I'm a run of the mill celtic/germanic WASP.

Finally, you can download the genetic data they produced and feed it into other places (like https://www.promethease.com/) to look at other things like disease markers.

Well worth $99 if you have it burning whole in your pocket.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

This may be of interest here.
MIT researchers have just discovered a new mechanism re/ obesity - a genetic "metabolic master switch" controlling thermogenesis. Check for T - C variant @ rs 1421085.
From the MIT press release -

Quote:
The strongest association with obesity resides in a gene region known as “FTO,” which has been the focus of intense scrutiny since its discovery in 2007. However, previous studies have failed to find a mechanism to explain how genetic differences in the region lead to obesity.
Quote:
Follow-up experiments showed that IRX3 and IRX5 act as master controllers of a process known as thermogenesis, whereby adipocytes dissipate energy as heat, instead of storing it as fat. Thermogenesis can be triggered by exercise, diet, or exposure to cold, and occurs both in mitochondria-rich brown adipocytes that are developmentally related to muscle, and in beige adipocytes that are instead related to energy-storing white adipocyte
https://news.mit.edu/2015/pathway-co...g-obesity-0819

From the New England Journal of Medicine -

Quote:
These results indicate that the rs1421085 T-to-C single-nucleotide alteration underlies the association between FTO and obesity by disrupting ARID5B-mediated repression of IRX3 and IRX5. This disruption leads to a developmental shift from browning to whitening programs and loss of mitochondrial thermogenesis (Figure 5D).
Quote:
In summary, our work elucidates a mechanistic basis for the strongest genetic association with obesity. Our results indicate that the SNV rs1421085 underlies the genetic association between the FTO locus and obesity
Full paper -

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...articleResults
Old 10-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #167

Quote:
Today marks a great milestone in the history of personal genetics. I am thrilled to let you know that 23andMe is now the first and only genetic service available directly to you that includes reports that meet FDA standards.

After nearly two years of work with the FDA, extensive user comprehension testing and a complete redesign, 23andMe is launching an entirely new experience that includes carrier status, wellness, trait and ancestry reports. We have also developed new and improved tools to share and compare your genetics with friends and family - and for those of you participating in research, we will provide new insights to explore.

When will you get to see your new experience? Soon - we promise! You will receive an email when your new experience is ready. We want to ensure each customer has a seamless transition which is why we have set our goal to provide you with the new experience by the end of the year.

We are committed to bringing you a world class service that provides you with ongoing updates. The genetics revolution is here and we are excited to enable customers like you to keep learning about your DNA. Today is only the beginning.

If you have questions or want to start learning about the new experience, we put together a new FAQ page. Additionally, we have updated our Privacy Statement and Terms of Service to support the new features, which I encourage you to read.

Together, we have achieved another great milestone in the personal genetics revolution. It is the first step in many more to come!

Anne Wojcicki
CEO, 23andMe
I got this letter the other day. Maybe this means us late comers will get our genetic health info after all.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #168

Was this a letter or an email? I did the full monty genetic thing a few years ago before they had their license pulled but I haven't received anything updating their new status or any new or information.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

The CEO was interviewed about a week ago at CBS This Morning. Looks like this second time around (after getting warned by the FDA), the company is working closer with the FDA for approvals.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #170

Interesting update. My husband and I beat the FDA imposed embargo on genetic health information being given in an easy form... my kids only got ancestral data - and the raw data.

(Fortunately, you could get specific genetic data from the raw data if you knew the specific SNPs to look at. Which is why we had genetic testing done on them.)
Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Was this a letter or an email? I did the full monty genetic thing a few years ago before they had their license pulled but I haven't received anything updating their new status or any new or information.
razztazz,

I did the 23andme test just before they got shut down by the FDA on the health risks portion.l I received the same email (that the OP posted) a few days ago.

omni
Old 10-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
razztazz,

I did the 23andme test just before they got shut down by the FDA on the health risks portion.l I received the same email (that the OP posted) a few days ago.

omni
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
It was an email.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Got the same email, but signed on just AFTER they were slammed by the FDA and started giving out way less detailed reports. Hoping they provide the more informative reports to those of us who wanted them to continue and paid the same money for a much reduced report.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #175
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
Thanks for that info Rodi. I am waiting on my results because I strongly suspect I have the mthfr gene.
I have met a lot of "REAL MTHFR's" in my life, but this is the first time I've heard they had a gene for this!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I have met a lot of "REAL MTHFR's" in my life, but this is the first time I've heard they had a gene for this!
Makes sense though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
It's natural to read MTHFR as a curse word... I know I do. Especially when you read about the symptoms and issues... it really is a MTHFR.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

We also got FreeToCanoe's email from 23andMe

Here is what my genealogy group is recommending sending to potential matches:
Last Chance: 23andMe is changing their website.

This is the last chance to see your anonymous DNA matches or invite them to share genomes. On Nov 11 all outstanding invitations to anonymous matches will be cancelled and they will no longer be able to participate in DNA Relatives. If you currently use a nickname for your account it will be changed to anonymous so use your real name.

I recommend that you opt into DNA Relatives and Open Sharing so you can see which DNA segments you share with matches. People will not be required to opt into Open Sharing in order to see each other’s matching HIRs. You can send sharing requests to people who opt into DNA Relatives, but who don’t opt into Open Sharing. If they accept sharing then you can see the matching segments.

I hope you will choose to share genomes with me as we are a match.

For more information see the following blog: Time to send your last 23andme invitations | Kitty Cooper's Blog
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #179

According the their blog, 23andme has been authorized by the FDA to resume some of the genetic tests they stopped performing in 2015. https://blog.23andme.com/news/good-n...ealth-reports/
Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted 23andMe authorization to offer ten genetic health risk reports including late-onset Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, celiac disease, and a condition associated with harmful blood clots.
According to the blog, they will begin making the new test results available later in April.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

I was one of the early 23andme members (over 4 years ago) so I had access to the reports from the start.

Interestingly, I've made contact with several long-lost and unknown relatives through 23andme. One first cousin, a couple of second cousins, and several third cousins.

Pretty interesting to see how genealogical lines spread out through time.