Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is another good article on Vitamin D:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/health/27brod.html

Quote:
The current recommended intake of vitamin D, established by the Institute of Medicine, is 200 I.U. a day from birth to age 50 (including pregnant women); 400 for adults aged 50 to 70; and 600 for those older than 70. While a revision upward of these amounts is in the works, most experts expect it will err on the low side. Dr. Holick, among others, recommends a daily supplement of 1,000 to 2,000 units for all sun-deprived individuals, pregnant and lactating women, and adults older than 50. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that breast-fed infants receive a daily supplement of 400 units until they are weaned and consuming a quart or more each day of fortified milk or formula.

Given appropriate sun exposure in summer, it is possible to meet the body’s yearlong need for vitamin D. But so many factors influence the rate of vitamin D formation in skin that it is difficult to establish a universal public health recommendation. Asked for a general recommendation, Dr. Holick suggests going outside in summer unprotected by sunscreen (except for the face, which should always be protected) wearing minimal clothing from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. two or three times a week for 5 to 10 minutes.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just had my Vitamin D level tested; the Endocrinologist ordered a Vitamin D - 25 Hydroxy test. My level is 12, where the normal is 30 - 100.

I am having surgery to remove a parathyroid adenoma this week; my parathyroid and calcium levels are sky high so it's not surprising that the Vitamin D would be low. I see the Endocrinologist a few weeks post-op so I assume she will order a Vitamin D Rx.

It's nice to hear that increasing the level makes people feel better. They think I've had this tumor for years and It's dragged down my energy level.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
It's nice to hear that increasing the level makes people feel better. They think I've had this tumor for years and It's dragged down my energy level.
It's fairly common and an odd disease in the sense that many patients are diagnosed with an incidental elevated calcium blood test on a routine blood panel. The tell you they feel fine and have no complaints.

For those who ultimately require surgery, when it's over with they often come back and say they didn't realize how much better they could feel - low energy, abdominal pain, etc. all previously unnoticed now get identified by virtue of their resolution.

Good luck with your surgery. Hope you're one of those who feel like a million bucks in a couple of months.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to ask my Dr. about my vitamin D levels at my next check up. I've been taking 5,000IU of D-3 and sunbathing. Mentally, I'm feeling a bit better but I think I have a ways to go before I'm back to the natural highs I know I'm capable of.

Let's also not forget the Vitamin C rage of years ago.

Vitamin D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mental health

Low levels of vitamin D has been associated with cognitive and behavioral effects; low levels of vitamin D may affect general brain development and functioning and has been associated with seasonal affective disorder, Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia. This link appears to be subtle and indirect. No causal association has been demonstrated, with much of the biological evidence coming from non-human experiments and only a small number of direct investigations involving humans.[145]
Old 08-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #25

Dex, it's a good idea to have your Vitamin D level. Love levels seem to be more widespread than I realized.

Thanks, Rich. I hope I'm one of those too.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a believer's website -

GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action - GrassrootsHealth | Vitamin D Action

But has links to many papers, etc. I first got interested when a friend (36) had breast cancer and her doctor told her she needed to take V-D-3 the rest of her life, in doses large enough to stay over the 50ng/ml. I read enough to convince me, a dedicated sunscreen user, to supplement. Then another friend's father died of cancer and his doctor told the family the same thing - start supplementing and check your levels.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #27

I just got the Vitamin D Rx for 50K units weekly for 14 weeks. They we'll retest the Vitamin D level and see how much it improved.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #28

Initially tested at 44. Took 3 100,000 IU Vit D shots over 3 weeks and 5,000 IU's per day (liquid). Retested at 52 after 8 weeks. Doc said to go up to 20,000 IU per day and took another 3 shots. Retested after 8 weeks and I was up to 68. Much better.

My mom (who lives in Seattle) was tested and her level was 12. Yikes! I happened to be in Seattle 2 weeks ago when she went to a follow-up appointment with her doc and received this test result. I had brought a bottle of my liquid Vitamin D with me because I wanted to get the doc's blessing to have her start taking a Vitamin D supplement. Even before the doc gave the test result, I knew my mom would be quite low.

I showed the doc the bottle and she recommended my mom take 1,000 IU per day. WHAT? I suggested that something closer to what I had been taking might be more appropriate given her extremely low level. She agreed that 2,000 IU per day might be okay. I asked why such a low dose. She said she didn't want my mom to take too much and overshoot a healthy level. HUH? I had just taken 20,000 IU per day for 8 weeks and moved 16 points. I asked the doc what she felt was too high a level. She said 70-80. Hmmm. The doc planned to retest in 30 days but she thought taking more than 2,000 IU's per day was not advised. Whatever.

The doc (a woman in her early 50's) then began explaining to my mother how she should go to Whole Foods to find a good Vitamin D supplement. HUH? I was sitting there with a Vitamin D supplement in my hand which I had personally used. Bizarre.

During the visit, mom had her blood drawn to recheck a VERY high creatinine level the doc felt was tied to a blood pressure medication she took my mom off about 10 days prior. Apparently mom's previous doc should have tested her soon after prescribing the blood pressure medicine but he never did and that was a couple of years ago. The doc called my mother the following day with the blood test results (better) and also told her to discontinue taking the liquid Vitamin D until she could determine what was the best one for her. HUH? Mom decided to continue taking about 3,000 IU per day because she felt better right away.

Mom had another blood test and her creatinine level was lower again so getting off that particular blood pressure medicine has been a good thing. Supplementing with Vitamin D should help things along also. A girlfriend had to go see a nephrologist and one of the tests he ordered up was her Vitamin D level. Mom will see a nephrologist in about 2 weeks.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to facts don't matter, we have our ways of doing things. If there were no way to check levels I could understand extreme conservatism, but with this test we have a very easy and to the point way to test blood levels of the hormone that counts.

Ha
Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I tried to discuss the "paleo" diet with my GP, wherein he proceeded to explain that I need two starches, and low-fat milk, at every meal...

Of course, when the prevailing wisdom is that nearly everyone should be taking statins...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Initially tested at 44. Took 3 100,000 IU Vit D shots over 3 weeks and 5,000 IU's per day (liquid). Retested at 52 after 8 weeks. Doc said to go up to 20,000 IU per day and took another 3 shots. Retested after 8 weeks and I was up to 68. Much better.

Mom decided to continue taking about 3,000 IU per day because she felt better right away.
Buckeye,

What kind of symptoms got better once you started taking Vit D? And what about your mom? Felt better in what way?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #32

She said she is sleeping much better (she is 76) and her energy has increased. It's not scientific but she just sounds better when I talk to her on the phone. Much more perky. I'm pretty sure some of her aches and pains would decrease if she got her level into at least into the mid-range.

For me, small aches and pains disappeared and my energy level improved. Also, it felt as if a fog had been lifted off my brain. I could think again and my mood was much improved. Basically, I felt 10 years younger.

One of the ladies (50 y/o) in my department is undergoing chemo for colon cancer. She has been through 9 of 12 rounds. We have had several casual conversations about Vitamin D (can't help myself) and about 2 months ago I gave her a copy of recently published "The Vitamin D Solution" by Mickael Holick. She has never had her Vit D level checked. She finally had a few hours to read it while preparing for a scan of her liver (drinking nasty stuff over several hours). Her liver enzymes are elevated so they are checking whether it is a side effect of the chemo or there is a tumor.

She came back to work the next day and said "OMG, I need to get my Vit D level checked." Along with the colon cancer, she was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago. I gave her the website of where I purchase my liquid Vitamin D at a very reasonable price (iherb, Now Foods) and she immediately placed an order. She assumes her level is low so she is going up her current supplementation which is less than 1000 IU per day.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For me, small aches and pains disappeared and my energy level improved. Also, it felt as if a fog had been lifted off my brain. I could think again and my mood was much improved. Basically, I felt 10 years younger.
That is good to hear. How was the deficiency found? Did you give symptoms to the Dr. and he do a test? If so what test was performed. I want to be able to give my Dr. some guidance.

Your situation sounds like mine. My energy level is not what it was. But my mood has improved.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #34

DEX - I had been living in NW OH and working long hours indoors for 5 years so there was a huge chance my Vitamin D level was low. I had been supplementing for about 2 months with 5,000 IU's per day prior to my first test. Don't know my level coming out of OH and prior to supplementation and a little FL sunshine. From everything I've read, a vast majority of us have levels of Vitamin D that are too low. I bought my sister a test from Vitamin D Council.org for $70 because she has been unemployed for almost 2 years and has no medical insurance. She is 50 and has lived in Seattle all her life. Her level was 35 which is much too low.

Also, soon after we moved to FL, I went to a talk sponsored by our apartment community where a local MD spoke about staying healthy. He has turned away from focusing on drug-based medicine and helps patients improve their health by getting to the root cause of issues instead of treating symptoms. A robust level of Vitamin D is one of the things he believes is very important to have a strong foundation. The Vitamin D level window is 30-100 and he thinks we are better off in the 90-100 range.

When DH and I had our first appointment (no issues, just to get a baseline), the doc did all the basic blood tests (blood stuff and metabolic stuff) and a Vitamin D test. Even though we live in FL, I think he assumes everyone is far below where he would like them to be based on how much time everyone spends indoors and how much sunscreen everyone uses when we go outdoors. To assist people in getting the Vitamin D levels up sooner rather than later, he offers Vitamin D shots for $10 with no charge for an office call. I thought that was pretty good.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DEX - I had been living in NW OH and working long hours indoors for 5 years so there was a huge chance my Vitamin D level was low. I had been supplementing for about 2 months with 5,000 IU's per day prior to my first test. Don't know my level coming out of OH and prior to supplementation and a little FL sunshine. From everything I've read, a vast majority of us have levels of Vitamin D that are too low. I bought my sister a test from Vitamin D Council.org for $70 because she has been unemployed for almost 2 years and has no medical insurance. She is 50 and has lived in Seattle all her life. Her level was 35 which is much too low.

Also, soon after we moved to FL, I went to a talk sponsored by our apartment community where a local MD spoke about staying healthy. He has turned away from focusing on drug-based medicine and helps patients improve their health by getting to the root cause of issues instead of treating symptoms. A robust level of Vitamin D is one of the things he believes is very important to have a strong foundation. The Vitamin D level window is 30-100 and he thinks we are better off in the 90-100 range.

When DH and I had our first appointment (no issues, just to get a baseline), the doc did all the basic blood tests (blood stuff and metabolic stuff) and a Vitamin D test. Even though we live in FL, I think he assumes everyone is far below where he would like them to be based on how much time everyone spends indoors and how much sunscreen everyone uses when we go outdoors. To assist people in getting the Vitamin D levels up sooner rather than later, he offers Vitamin D shots for $10 with no charge for an office call. I thought that was pretty good.
Thanks - If I am low on vitamin D it is because of just indifference to getting some sun. Also, I was in Colorado for several months hiking in winter conditions - no skin exposure to the sun. That might have depleted my stores.
I'm going to the Dr. this week and discuss it with him. Even if my levels are within acceptable norms I'm going to ask for a supplement.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #36

dex - Curious what you mean by "going to ask him for a supplement." Are you looking for high dose you can only get by prescription?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
dex - Curious what you mean by "going to ask him for a supplement." Are you looking for high dose you can only get by prescription?
That is what I was thinking. From my reading of other posts a prescription might be necessary.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Some reliable information on Vitamin D.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Report Questions Need for 2 Diet Supplements

Quote:
The very high levels of vitamin D that are often recommended by doctors and testing laboratories — and can be achieved only by taking supplements — are unnecessary and could be harmful, an expert committee says. It also concludes that calcium supplements are not needed.
Quote:
Dr. J. Christopher Gallagher, director of the bone metabolism unit at the Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Neb., agreed, adding, “The onus is on the people who propose extra calcium and vitamin D to show it is safe before they push it on people.”
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
These people seem to talk a lot about bone health, but AFAIK the main arguments for higher doses are based on the association of high vitamin D levels with greatly reduced cancer risk.

(I'm not at home and don't have a more specific link handy, sorry)