Join Early Retirement Today

401k withdrawals
Old 05-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

401k withdrawals

just finished watching a retirement advice guy on pbs talking about stretch ira's, etc. i am interested in joining in any discussions relative to accessing 401K funds at 62 with minimum irs damage. this is my first post. hello to all.
vincemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Darn I missed it! Bet it was Ed Slott? His website (http://www.irahelp.com/phpBB) is full of Q&A on these issues.

Welcome aboard Vince! Tell us a bit more about yourself when you can and jump in when you want!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Welcome here Vincemal.

I saw that last night on PBS here (I believe it was a repeat as much of it seemed familiar to me). I believe it was a pretty good presentation of the material. Ed Slott was there to make a comment, in addition to many more.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but all 401(k) withdrawals (W/D) are taxable as ordinary income (unless they are Roth) after age 59 1/2. This has been an often discussed topic here so you will get many opinions if you can be more specific as to what you wish to discuss about 401(k) withdrawals.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #4

thanks to all for the welcome. I am a teacher planning to retire from full time teaching next year. I don't contemplate taking social security right away. Probably work a few days per week and taper off. right now my school has a 401k plan with a profit sharing plan. I have been frustrated by the limited choices within the plan, never a big fan of mutual funds to begin with, and the limits to moving funds around. it is my understnding that since the pension reform act it is possible to remove contents from 401K and still remain a full time employee. Is that correct?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemal View Post
thanks to all for the welcome. I am a teacher planning to retire from full time teaching next year. I don't contemplate taking social security right away. Probably work a few days per week and taper off. right now my school has a 401k plan with a profit sharing plan. I have been frustrated by the limited choices within the plan, never a big fan of mutual funds to begin with, and the limits to moving funds around. it is my understnding that since the pension reform act it is possible to remove contents from 401K and still remain a full time employee. Is that correct?
Ask for and read the Summary Plan Descriptiom (SPD). The ability to roll away from the 401K to an IRA where you have limitless choices will be spelled out in that document. Many plans allow that once you have reached a certain age!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
401k withdrawals
Old 06-01-2008, 05:03 AM   #6

401k withdrawals

Thanks for the feedback, connie. I tried to acess that link for ed slott you provided and it indicated tht it was no longer available, at least at that address.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Try this:

IRAHelp.com - Your One Stop to All Your IRA Questions
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
right now my school has a 401k plan with a profit sharing plan.
This is a bit confusing. Schools usually have a 403(b) plan. PS plans are not generally found in schools, though DB plans often are. Are you sure about the PS plan?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote