Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Or would a family practice doc or an internist be a better choice?
I recall reading about a study giving evidence that colonoscopies done in hospitals, rather than a doctor's office, and those done by gastroenterologists are more effective at detecting cancers. My gastroenterologist also teaches at a university medical school, which I think is good. I've had a couple of not so good personal experiences with family practice doctors -- I thought there was some question of their competence.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
You are joking, right ? If he did say that you should have reported him.

...All I can say is that I would never joke about how many fingers my patients want me to use for their rectovag exam. Other clinicians have gotten in trouble for less than that.
I still don't understand what was wrong with what he said.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
My doc once asked if I'd like him to use two fingers. When I turned in shock to ask why on earth would I want that, he smiled and said "Thought you might want a second opinion."
Mine likes to use the line "just relax; as long as you don't feel both my hands on your shoulders, you're fine."

I appreciate a little corny humor like that. The situation is stressful enough anyway; anything that lightens it up a bit is welcome.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Mine likes to use the line "just relax; as long as you don't feel both my hands on your shoulders, you're fine."
LOL, if my Dr said that I'd probably clamp down hard on him.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
OMG - this made my day - thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hello Rich - All I can say is that I would never joke about how many fingers my patients want me to use for their rectovag exam. Other clinicians have gotten in trouble for less than that.
I think it's all too rare to see a medical professional capable of not taking themselves so seriously.

Humor is at least as therapeutic as the authoritarian bedside manner or the attitude of "I'm the doctor, I'm here to help, and you will be healed"...

Quote:
So what's my first step in reforming my ways?
My DIY habits will be hard to break, but it's pretty clear if I do go see a doc I will need to go big. Since I haven't been to the doctor in decades, I'm overdue for every test recommended for "every X years for men over 50".
How to pick a doc - throw a dart at my PPO's list of general practice doctors? Or would a family practice doc or an internist be a better choice? Should I go to the enormous multi-discipline clinic associated with a hospital or find an independent?
I suppose I need to educate myself on the differences between check-ups, physicals and complete 50-year overhauls, so I make an appointment for the right services. Or maybe I should just show up at the hospital desk and order "the works"?
Says the man who's just a phone call away from his town's world-class medical center.

I think the plethora of choices exists solely to meet everyone's personal preferences. You could probably throw a dart at your employer's provider manual and get 90% of what you're looking for. Whether you have your dog put their paw on one or spend six weeks researching through paralysis by analysis, the results are likely to be equally bearable.

I like clinics filled with family practitioners & residents. The FPs are all too familiar with being challenged, confused, and ignorant by a wide range of symptoms. The new docs are too new to "know" how to behave or to have stripped their patient interactions down to the allotted 7.6 minutes, so they'll actually have a conversation with you and perhaps occasionally even admit ignorance. If you're lucky they'll fetch in their supervisor to have a longer discussion.

I'd tell your (randomly?) chosen medical professional that you've been terrorized by a bunch of strangers on the Internet, and that you're looking for a physical exam (along with a blood sample) to reassure yourself. They'll either do it on the spot or schedule you for another two-hour appointment. They'll be interested in how your ancestor's medical histories may have transferred themselves to your genome. From those humble beginnings, the consulting possibilities are endless! And if you don't like the way you're being treated then you can just get a new dart and pick another one.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #27

The two finger second opinion joke made me laugh.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......How to pick a doc - throw a dart at my PPO's list of general practice doctors? Or would a family practice doc or an internist be a better choice? Should I go to the enormous multi-discipline clinic associated with a hospital or find an independent? ...........
I went with a satellite office of a medical school (University of Michigan in my case), thinking that if I ever need serious care, I'm halfway home to a great hospital. Plus they are part of my PPO. Their website has bios of all the staff and I just found someone that I felt comfortable with (not too old, too young, doesn't take self too seriously)

For minor issues like a sinus infection, I go to a walk in local clinic.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #29

Hello Rich - I do not think my recommendation was categorical. "Should have reported" is not the same as "you must report him" or "you had to report him". It appreciate your point of view and I apologize if mine came across as too harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
But the issue is a categorical recommendation to summarily report
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hello Rich - I do not think my recommendation was categorical. "Should have reported" is not the same as "you must report him" or "you had to report him". It appreciate your point of view and I apologize if mine came across as too harsh.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I still don't understand what was wrong with what he said.
I don't get it, either. I guess it would be in bad taste to be explicit about it, so it will remain ineffable.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 AM   #32

Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I guess it would be in bad taste to be explicit about it, so it will remain ineffable.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Hello Rich - All I can say is that I would never joke about how many fingers my patients want me to use for their rectovag exam. Other clinicians have gotten in trouble for less than that.
Like the physician who was reported for sexual harassment for telling an old lady that she had acute angina.

Disclaimer: that was actually a joke.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Like the physician who was reported for sexual harassment for telling an old lady that she had acute angina.

Disclaimer: that was actually a joke.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Just came back from my physical this morning. Got two for the price of one. No...no "second opinion", but since he was already there, I had him check for hemorrhoids (.... only a mild case, by the way. Yes, I said it, I have hemorrhoids )

I really like my doctor. Of all the doctors I had in my lifetime, he has the best bedside manner.

To celebrate being such a good patient, tonight I'm gonna make me a nice beef back ribs dinner.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Mr B is very good about annual checkups and followups. He really likes his doc at the VA outpatient clinic. He is lucky to have doctors who practiced privately for years and then decided to hire on with the federal government. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The military kept me in the regular-physical habit by directive rather than by choice, but here's a cautionary tale.
That military "directive" thing isn't always the best thing. I wonder if you ever had the experience my Army friend has had, of being given three flu shots (in the same year, the same shot) ? Apparently saying "I already had mine" is not an acceptable response
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
All I can say is that I would never joke about how many fingers my patients want me to use for their rectovag exam. Other clinicians have gotten in trouble for less than that.
God, whatever happened to common sense ? Surely things are a little different when patient and doctor are of different gender .
Old 04-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
That military "directive" thing isn't always the best thing. I wonder if you ever had the experience my Army friend has had, of being given three flu shots (in the same year, the same shot) ? Apparently saying "I already had mine" is not an acceptable response
I'm one of the last Boomers to have not one but two smallpox shots.

When spouse and I were both on active duty, the medical clinics used to routinely file our paperwork in each other's records. Then they'd declare something lost and shoot off a message to our old commands requesting a copy for their files. One of my old XOs was highly amused to receive a request for a copy of my last pregnancy checkup. He claimed that it explained a lot.

As for your friend, nobody's paperwork can prove that those needles were really filled with flu vaccine. At least that's what we've learned in the Navy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

I've come to think going to the doc is part of the Darwinian test for aging. Those who go, age. Those who don't ...fail the test.
My Doc convinced me to go for a Coronary Calcium Heart Scan. Not covered by insur. but the x-ray facility was running a special - no kidding. for a $100 I got the test and great peace of mind.
Consider this: for approx. 33% of people with a heart problem, the first and only sign is the Big One - a fatal heart attack. The heart scan can discover these problems. My 2 cents.

Chinaco said it well:
..."For all of us that are living.... it is not a matter of "if something happens", rather "it is when"!
When I turned 50 I began scheduling a yearly physical exam along with the blood tests.
I intend to continue that practice.
I cannot imagine a good reason for not doing it! I suppose some cannot afford it. If that changes... and it looks like it will, there will be no reason to not get a periodic check-up or exam.

Bad news will not get better by avoiding it... but good news provides some peace of mind (and a base line of health data). Besides delaying could make matters much worse. Healthy living and early detection seem to be a couple (of the few) factors that we can reasonably control that might lead to longer life and hopefully better quality of life!"