Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer1 View Post
I've come to think going to the doc is part of the Darwinian test for aging. Those who go, age. Those who don't ...fail the test.
My Doc convinced me to go for a Coronary Calcium Heart Scan. Not covered by insur. but the x-ray facility was running a special - no kidding. for a $100 I got the test and great peace of mind.
Consider this: for approx. 33% of people with a heart problem, the first and only sign is the Big One - a fatal heart attack. The heart scan can discover these problems. My 2 cents.

Chinaco said it well:
..."For all of us that are living.... it is not a matter of "if something happens", rather "it is when"!
When I turned 50 I began scheduling a yearly physical exam along with the blood tests.
I intend to continue that practice.
I cannot imagine a good reason for not doing it! I suppose some cannot afford it. If that changes... and it looks like it will, there will be no reason to not get a periodic check-up or exam.

Bad news will not get better by avoiding it... but good news provides some peace of mind (and a base line of health data). Besides delaying could make matters much worse. Healthy living and early detection seem to be a couple (of the few) factors that we can reasonably control that might lead to longer life and hopefully better quality of life!"

"Peace of mind" as you say is illusionary... my BIL went to his cardiologist all the time... he had a couple of ballon procedure and even a pacemaker... he had been healthy for years, with low cholesteral etc. etc. and kept telling us how he was going to live to 100... he went to the doc for his normal checkup and got a 'clean bill of health'.... one week later he died of a heart attack...

I am not saying not to go and get checkups as they do find a lot of problems that they can fix.... but it does not mean that you will not drop dead of something soon after leaving the docs office...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
my BIL went to his cardiologist all the time ... he had a couple of balloon procedures and even a pacemaker ... he had been healthy for years
Wow! Those two statements made a real disconnect in my mind.
It seems obvious to me that he didn't have a healthy heart.

My guess is that when he claimed to be healthy, he meant "as healthy as possible, given the condition he was in."

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

"Peace of mind" as you say is illusionary... my BIL went to his cardiologist all the time... he had a couple of ballon procedure and even a pacemaker... he had been healthy for years, with low cholesteral etc. etc. and kept telling us how he was going to live to 100... he went to the doc for his normal checkup and got a 'clean bill of health'.... one week later he died of a heart attack...

I am not saying not to go and get checkups as they do find a lot of problems that they can fix.... but it does not mean that you will not drop dead of something soon after leaving the docs office...
You go to a cardiologist, he says you need a heart operation. Hmmm ?

If someone's holding a hammer, then everything looks like a nail to get hit !

I just wonder though if they left him alone ( ie. no baloon procedure etc) would he haved lived longer.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wow! Those two statements made a real disconnect in my mind.
It seems obvious to me that he didn't have a healthy heart.

My guess is that when he claimed to be healthy, he meant "as healthy as possible, given the condition he was in."

He had one baloon procedure 15 years earlier... the othe was done by someone that wanted to make money.... there was nothing wrong with him on that... I never got the story on why they put in a pacemaker...

No, his cardiologist had said that all his test came back great... that he wished all his patients had his kind of results... that is why it was such a shocker to all of us...

PS... I told him many times he would not live to 100 with the heart he had... but he did live to 70 which is not bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
You go to a cardiologist, he says you need a heart operation. Hmmm ?

If someone's holding a hammer, then everything looks like a nail to get hit !

I just wonder though if they left him alone ( ie. no baloon procedure etc) would he haved lived longer.

See above... probably not... I think if he had not been to the docs and gotten his first baloon procedure he would have died many years earlier... he got 'religion' after that and kept track of his HDL/LDL etc. etc...

All I was pointing out was a clean bill of health from the docs does not mean something might not happen soon thereafter....