Join Early Retirement Today

6 Worthless Exercises
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

6 Worthless Exercises

I thought this was interesting, as I do (or have done) most of the "overrated" exercises. Not gospel, something to consider.

Overrated ExerciseUpgrade
Leg PressClockwork Lunges
CrunchesThe Plank
Chest FlyCable Crossover
Bench PressPush Ups
Tricep DipsTriangle Push Ups
Pull UpsInverted Row

6 Worthless Exercises

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice article. Most resistance exercises are carryovers from bodybuilding and do not promote overall strength and health. The overall trend now seems to be doing exercises that involve as many muscle groups as possible. I now have 3 main moves in my workout. Clean and press, inverted rows and push ups. I still do some of the old standbys but they are no longer the core of my workout. At 45 the change of routine seems to leave me with less strength to move heavy weights but a better ability to be active and strong for sports and work. It feels like I got a new pair of PF flyers.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Good article. I have incorporated planks and pushups in my routine but I hadn't considered tilted cross over pulls or whatever they are called or inverted rows. I will check them out.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I thought this was interesting, as I do (or have done) most of the "overrated" exercises. Not gospel, something to consider.

CrunchesThe Plank
Chest FlyCable Crossover
Bench PressPush Ups
Pull UpsInverted Row

6 Worthless Exercises
I suspect even the most worthless exercise trumps laying on a couch staring at the boob tube while balancing a can of beer on the beer gut.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I disagree with the leg press and bench press being included in this list, though certainly incorrect form, and a lack of attention to body position and range of motion, could prove harmful on most any exercise.

Isolated, small muscle movements, like bicep curls, or crunches, are IMHO wasted effort. Big movements involving several muscle groups mimic natural movements more closely, and provide more benefit for the time and effort expended.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I've been meaning to update the 'back problems' thread since I've been to Physical Therapy. Short story is that after a few months, I believe the stretches I've been doing have made a huge amount of difference, and I'm not even that good at doing all of them as much as I should (though I do several of them several times a day, every day).

Planks are part of my routine. I asked the PT about crunches, as I heard they were questionable. She showed me how I could lay on my back, bring my knees up to a right angle from thigh/shin, then 'crunch up' a bit, then slowly extend my legs out and slowly bring them back to a right angle, then relax the 'crunch', repeat. Do multiple sets of 10.

At first, that felt like it was straining my back slightly, I had to be very careful. After a few weeks, the feeling of strain went away, but it was difficult for me. Now, it isn't difficult at all, and I feel my back is just so much stronger and flexible. Time will tell, but this is promising.

I'll look into these others, thanks for posting.

-ERD50
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I disagree with the leg press and bench press being included in this list, though certainly incorrect form, and a lack of attention to body position and range of motion, could prove harmful on most any exercise.

Isolated, small muscle movements, like bicep curls, or crunches, are IMHO wasted effort. Big movements involving several muscle groups mimic natural movements more closely, and provide more benefit for the time and effort expended.
I have certainly had to alter my routines for joint relief as I am more worried about injury than looks. But my 20 year old person for the 1980s would have disagreed about the bicep curls. The shallow ladies back then always noticed the shallow mans biceps!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:

CrunchesThe Plank
Chest FlyCable Crossover
Bench PressPush Ups
Pull UpsInverted Row
I have benefited greatly from the major lifts (squat, dead lifts, bench press, overhead press, rows) and they have helped me significantly both strength and healthwise. As to the table, while I think pushups are great, I would not put them ahead of the bench press if your BP form is good and would not say that inverted rows are necessarily superior to pull ups. I do think that dips are an exercise that you have to very careful with as it can lead to shoulder problems even if your form is good and I'm not especially a proponent of doing leg presses or leg extensions, although I do them. I feel box jumps and pushing a sled are better all around exercises for the legs given the additional aerobic effect you receive.

Of course all of us may have certain physical limitations, so you need to select exercises that work for you and do not put you at too much risk for an injury.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I'd have to agree with most of those. I'm doing P90X right now and pull ups are a big part of the back workout. I do them with a foot up on the back of a chair so my position is very similar to the inverted row. Or I just use our TRX system. P90X has both dips and triangle pushups in different workouts. I don't mind the dips too much. Long ago I hurt my shoulder doing cable crossovers so those are off my list, not that I could do them at home anyway.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
As to the table, while I think pushups are great, I would not put them ahead of the bench press if your BP form is good.
Just to pick one of your statements, where do you disagree with the websites assessment? I've never had a routine that didn't include BPs, though I quit emphasizing weight over reps years ago (as I have with all exercises).
Quote:
Though research has shown this staple gym exercise to be excellent for building chest and triceps strength, some bench press-related shoulder injuries are common enough to have earned the nickname “bench-presser’s shoulder.” Also, the bench itself limits natural movement in the shoulder blades, putting tremendous stress on rotator cuffs. As such, some fitness experts have deemed bench press unsafe.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Just to pick one of your statements, where do you disagree with the websites assessment? I've never had a routine that didn't include BPs, though I quit emphasizing weight over reps years ago (as I have with all exercises).
I didn't read the article, but was just disagreeing with the table showing pushups as an upgrade to bench press. Sure BP may cause injuries for some depending on your shoulder health, range of motion and form. BPs with dumbbells may eleviate some of that concern. Of course like everything else YMMV.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

what are the plank and the inverted row?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
what are the plank and the inverted row?
The link in the first post in this thread shows pics of each exercise...

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I sent myself an email with he link to this article and forgot to include the link. When I wanted to look up the exercises I forgot that I had gotten the reference here so I Googled the topic (I eventually went into browser history and found the darn link). In any event, Googling "useless exercises" brought up more sites than you can shake a stick at. Almost everything you can do is debunked by one expert or another. Still, I like the triangle pushups and I already do planks. Inverted pull ups? Where the heck do you find that setup?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I suspect even the most worthless exercise trumps laying on a couch staring at the boob tube while balancing a can of beer on the beer gut.
+1. Be active while avoiding injury.

As Woody Allen once said- 90% of life is just showing up.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I disagree with the pullups one. I find chinups/pullups to be one of the most effective exercises I do (YMMV).

But the main reason I disagree with it is because I believe in working out to achieve "functional strength" ie: strength you can use in everyday tasks. That is why I like bodyweight exercises over machine exercises or even lifting weights.
That being said, I can imagine scenarios in daily life where I'd have to lift my full bodyweight off the ground and up to and over something. An exercise that prepares me for that is useful to me. An exercise where I lie on my back on the ground and use my arms to pull me up two feet and lower myself back down ? Not useful, in comparison.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #17

I do SO envy your exercise routines. At this age, afraid of breaking or dislocating something, so exercise is limited to walking, biking and canoeing.

That said, years of good living have helped. Not so bad for a 77 year old.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I do SO envy your exercise routines. At this age, afraid of breaking or dislocating something, so exercise is limited to walking, biking and canoeing.

That said, years of good living have helped. Not so bad for a 77 year old.

I assume you are not trying to pass off this photo as yourself, as it looks like Dr Life to me.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
gone traveling

I don't think these are worthless exercises. Seems like that is excess condemnation. there are good alternatives to them to try.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

There was an article in our local paper where a noted orthopedic doctor/surgeon recommended that older gents like me stay away from pushups. He claimed from his studies that participants risk joint damage.