Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I can't keep track of the food do's and don'ts, which are always changing.
For many people this is a big issue. The seemingly changing nature of food advice has an actual paralyzing effect. I know I've sometimes felt like that. Almost as if every food was demonized by someone while venerated by someone else!

I think, though, that in reality the vast majority of experts do agree on a lot of things. For example, even the anti-fat advocates and the anti-carb advocates both seem to agree that it is a good thing to avoid processed empty sugar calories. There is a lot of agreement that if you are eating an oil, olive oil is usually good.

Here is a good article that talks about looking at the big picture regarding food:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-..._b_2825049.htm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's an article on energy balance and weight loss.

Whole Health Source: Mysteries of Energy Balance and Weight Loss

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's interesting to me that this topic got fired (no pun intended) up again as I have done a tremendous amount of research in the past few days. Just had blood work done and came back with the following lipid profile:

LDL - 151
HDL - 42
TriGlycerides - 244
Total Cholesterol - 242
Glucose - 99

Needless to say I'm concerned with the high TriG reading and from what I've been reading the Tri/HDL ratio reading should be < 2. Mine is 5.8 I'm at the same age my dad had his heart attack and he's been on Lipitor now for 20 years. Would like to avoid both of those if I can.

Before I let them put me on a statin regimen I'm gonna make some diet changes and see how that affects my profile. Primarily, I'm gonna cut out carbs; down to about 30/day and add 1000 mg of MegaRed Krill fish oil. I'll have my blood checked again in 12 weeks and see how it looks. Hopefully I get positive results as I am very anti statin at this point. BTW, I'm 5'8", 168 lbs with a BMI of 23.5 according to my Tanita scale. I certainly don't look any where near overweight, but could stand to lose about 10 pounds.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

High trigs are usually caused by high carbs. And high trigs are certainly correlated with heart disease. If those readings are from fasting blood work, I think you're absolutely right to try a very low carb diet. In most cases, that should lower your trigs dramatically in a short time, as well as raise your HDL. Best of luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
It's interesting to me that this topic got fired (no pun intended) up again as I have done a tremendous amount of research in the past few days. Just had blood work done and came back with the following lipid profile:

LDL - 151
HDL - 42
TriGlycerides - 244
Total Cholesterol - 242
Glucose - 99

Needless to say I'm concerned with the high TriG reading and from what I've been reading the Tri/HDL ratio reading should be < 2. Mine is 5.8 I'm at the same age my dad had his heart attack and he's been on Lipitor now for 20 years. Would like to avoid both of those if I can.

Before I let them put me on a statin regimen I'm gonna make some diet changes and see how that affects my profile. Primarily, I'm gonna cut out carbs; down to about 30/day and add 1000 mg of MegaRed Krill fish oil. I'll have my blood checked again in 12 weeks and see how it looks. Hopefully I get positive results as I am very anti statin at this point. BTW, I'm 5'8", 168 lbs with a BMI of 23.5 according to my Tanita scale. I certainly don't look any where near overweight, but could stand to lose about 10 pounds.
A low carb diet will definitely help lower you cholesterol, triG and LDL numbers as it did mine but you also need to increase your level of exercise. Also 30g of daily carbs intake would be challenging to achieve and maintain as I try to stay at a more reasonable and sustainable 50g daily.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

LDL - 151
HDL - 42
TriGlycerides - 244
Total Cholesterol - 242
Glucose - 99

Nano, a couple of things to help you along your low carb way:

1. You will experience "Induction Flu" at going down to 30 carbs from your regular overnight, as your brain transitions from using carbs to ketones for energy. You can tough it out, and it will only last a few days, or keep some almonds on hand and eat a small amount to give your body a bit of a boost to get over the hump. Or you can go down more gradually, but you will still probably experience some initial bad feeling. You will soon feel this flu like state followed by more energy and less desire to snack.

Eat LOTS of high fiber low carb, low glycemic veggies to go with your fat and protein, or you will get bound like never before. Personally, in addition to huge salads I am a big fan of chia seeds for my fiber, as they come with a significant boost of Omega-3s and antioxidants, but it is again best to start slow and you must drink lots of water during the day if you use chia. I make a chia pudding with coconut milk, vanilla extract and liquid stevia, (which I get at Trader Joes.) Those packets of sweetener each come with a carb of filler, but the liquid has none.

Join a LC group online. You will find all sorts of recipes and answers to your questions. Best of luck, and congratulations on being proactive with your health!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

In a low carb diet, why would you eat Chia seeds since they contain 12 grams of carbs per ounce?

"Calories, Carbohydrates and Fat

Chia seeds contain a provide a modest number of calories, with about 140 calories in 2 tablespoons, or 1 ounce. You get 12 grams of carbohydrate in this amount, with 11 grams of fiber, most of it soluble fiber that helps keep your blood sugar on an even keel. A 1 ounce serving of chia seeds also contains 9 grams of fat, with only 1 grams in a less healthy, saturated form."
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #68

It's net carbs that matter.

You list 12 carbs with 11 grams of fiber. That's 12-11, or 1 gram of carbs that isn't fiber.

Personally, I take a serving of sugar free Metamuscil each morning to keep my gut happy.

Here's what they say about carbs: (Metamucil Fiber Frequently Asked Questions)

Quote:
If psyllium husk is a carbohydrate, why do Metamucil Multihealth Fiber Capsules contain zero net carbs?

In strict scientific terms, natural psyllium fiber is a polysaccharide that is a subclass of carbohydrates. Although dietary supplement regulations require that we list psyllium fiber as part of the carbohydrate total, it is, in fact, very different from carbohydrates such as sugar, glucose, fruit sugar, corn syrups, and starches. This is because our gastrointestinal enzymes cannot digest psyllium; therefore, our bodies do not absorb it and do not convert it into glucose.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

You list 12 carbs with 11 grams of fiber. That's 12-11, or 1 gram of carbs that isn't fiber.

Personally, I take a serving of sugar free Metamuscil each morning to keep my gut happy.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

Yeah, the Metamucil should help with that too, but I prefer real foods to what I call "syn" (synthetic for me = sin,) foods, whenever possible. I love getting the extra nutrients and bang for the buck when I consume chia. Plus a spoonful or two of my pudding several times a day is a wonderful sweet treat, particularly if I throw some heavy cream into the batch. I add ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in significant amounts as well, all of which have positive roles in good health. It's as easy as putting the ingredients together and shake until it starts to gel from the chia absorbing so much of the liquid. I make a few batches and store in fridge for the week.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Here's another +1 for lowering Trigs by reducing carbs. I found my Trigs went way down and my HDL up. My ratio went from slightly high 2.5 to about 1.0. Also, my fasting blood sugar went from 99 to 75.

I also eased into low-carb eating. I started by greatly reducing the food I ate that had lots of added sugar (cookies, cake, ice cream, etc) for about a month. I also got rid of fruit juice since it very sugary. After about a month, I cut back on food made with highly refined, pulverized flours such as pancakes and waffles and bread. (This was tough for me to do.) I added lots of non starchy veggies in place of the fruit I was eating.

Grocery shopping is actually easier because about 90% of what is sold is no longer part of my way of eating. I do plan out my exceptions. I figure if I eat well 5 out of 6 meals, then I still have about 3 meals a week where I can eat apple pie for dessert, pizza for lunch, or pancakes for breakfast.

This is what worked for me. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #72

Quote:
Primarily, I'm gonna cut out carbs; down to about 30/day ...
If your library has The New Atkins... book, there's lots of hints for how to do this in the most "healthy" way. One take-away I had from that book was to use plenty of salt or eat standard level salt broths...those should keep the "Atkins flu" at bay.

Standard disclaimers...check with your doctor, blah, blah.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm just glad I can lose weight the good ol' way. Less beer. Less junk food. Slightly smaller portions. I do plenty of walking so bingo...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4mandolin View Post
less beer.
Stop saying that !!!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Stop saying that !!!
I know, that hurts just reading it. I cut other carbs just to allow for the beer, hehe.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #76

Quote:
Stop saying that !!!
Bud Select has only 3.1g of carbs and Mich Ultra 6g. They're not my Sam Adams but better than no beer at all.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Bud Select has only 3.1g of carbs and Mich Ultra 6g. They're not my Sam Adams but better than no beer at all.
Oh, never mind then. I thought he was talking about actual beer.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Oh, never mind then. I thought he was talking about actual beer.
The actual beer you're talking about has between 12 and 16 grams of carbs. Sorry but for diabetic folks like me this is one third of the daily carb allowance. No thank you.....
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
A low carb diet will definitely help lower you cholesterol, triG and LDL numbers as it did mine but you also need to increase your level of exercise.
I don't think this is right. Low carb diets are generally known for lowering triglycerides and often raising HDL. That is good. Some people see a rise in LDL with low carb, although in many instances this may be found to be the larger particle LDL which many believe is not dangerous. Total cholesterol may indeed go up on low carb although the overall cholesterol ratio may be improved on low carb.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I don't think this is right. Low carb diets are generally known for lowering triglycerides and often raising HDL. That is good. Some people see a rise in LDL with low carb, although in many instances this may be found to be the larger particle LDL which many believe is not dangerous. Total cholesterol may indeed go up on low carb although the overall cholesterol ratio may be improved on low carb.
I should have stated that my statement was based on my own results (your mileage may vary) and not on any studies. My last lab results in January which was 3 months after starting a strict low carb diet and a moderate exercise program was as follows:

Total Chol down from 195 to 151
TriG down from 110 to 82
LDL down from 136 to 90
Glucose down from 194 to 102
A1c down from 7.4 to 5.0