Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I didn't know it was a known factor. I lost 35 pounds a little over a year ago. Then I stuck with about 100 grams a day until about three months ago when I began adding carbs back. So far nothing I do (like eating all sorts of guilty pleasures on multi-week trips) has had any impact. It is like high school when I could not gain weight. At this point my primary restriction is sugar. I also don't eat much pasta. Potatoes and rice seem fine.

I think I won the metabolic lottery. Most people who gain weight over the years don't seem to lose it as easily as I did.
Thanks for the response.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I lost 35 pounds a little over a year ago. Then I stuck with about 100 grams a day until about three months ago when I began adding carbs back. So far nothing I do (like eating all sorts of guilty pleasures on multi-week trips) has had any impact. It is like high school when I could not gain weight. At this point my primary restriction is sugar. I also don't eat much pasta. Potatoes and rice seem fine.
My experience after changing to a relatively low-carb, real-food diet almost 3 years ago was pretty similar to yours. I lost 20-25 pounds within the first 3-4 months, which was all the weight I needed to lose. After that, I started to add back a few more carbs (from things like rice and potatoes) and found that I could eat those things in moderation while still staying at my new weight. I still generally avoid things like pasta, pizza, bread (for the most part), but if I'm out somewhere and someone is serving something like that, I eat it, and still don't gain any weight. I think the initial change in diet somehow "reset" my metabolism, and that as long as I eat according to the plan most of the time, I can eat a variety of things at other times without any adverse consequences.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
My experience after changing to a relatively low-carb, real-food diet almost 3 years ago was pretty similar to yours. I lost 20-25 pounds within the first 3-4 months, which was all the weight I needed to lose. After that, I started to add back a few more carbs (from things like rice and potatoes) and found that I could eat those things in moderation while still staying at my new weight. I still generally avoid things like pasta, pizza, bread (for the most part), but if I'm out somewhere and someone is serving something like that, I eat it, and still don't gain any weight. I think the initial change in diet somehow "reset" my metabolism, and that as long as I eat according to the plan most of the time, I can eat a variety of things at other times without any adverse consequences.
+1

I am having a similar experience. Another 5 pounds to lose max, and I will be done with weight loss and should be able to eat a few high carb things a week without having to worry. That's in addition to ample servings of non-starchy veggies every day.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #24

Meat and the human brain.

Meat, Cooked Foods Needed for Early Human Brain | LiveScience

"Eating meat and cooking food made us human, the studies suggest, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years."
Old 08-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Meat and the human brain.

Meat, Cooked Foods Needed for Early Human Brain | LiveScience

"Eating meat and cooking food made us human, the studies suggest, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years."
A similar theory was that fish and other aquatic food sources played a big role in the evolution of larger brains.

Human Brain Evolution And Eating Fish From Shoreline Environments

Quote:
Unlike the prehistoric savannahs or forests, argues Dr. Cunnane, ancient shoreline environments provided a year-round, accessible and rich food supply. Such an environment was found in the wetlands and river and lake shorelines that dominated east Africa's prehistoric Rift Valley in which early humans evolved.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I looked at the study. I was so hoping that they were going to recommend a pound of bacon a day. Oh, woe is me.
LazyErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

So full fat dairy helps keep our weight down?? I am shocked! Shocked!

The Full-Fat Paradox: Whole Milk May Keep Us Lean : The Salt : NPR

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #28

I've just learned to tune out all those "this/that/the-the-other-thing is bad for you" because of all the turnarounds. I rather doubt anyone knows with absolute certainty. Sure a diet of only beef will make you sick but so will one of only celery.

All things in moderation.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #29

When I was a kid, a regular McDonald's burger was 1/10 of a pound. My mom brought home a new item one day. We laughed and laughed at the idea that any family could possible consume an entire two liters of soda. The brand new house that my affluent parents bought in 1968 had a one car garage. Snack foods have proliferated. There have just been a lot of cultural changes in diet over the last 50 years.

Although fat consumption as a percentage has dropped since the 60s, the total amount of fat consumed has stayed pretty stable. People have mostly added carbohydrates. I don't think that macronutrient breakdown is nearly as important as portion control for weight loss although some people may find they feel less hungry on higher fiber or higher fat content.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post

Although fat consumption as a percentage has dropped since the 60s, the total amount of fat consumed has stayed pretty stable. People have mostly added carbohydrates. I don't think that macronutrient breakdown is nearly as important as portion control for weight loss although some people may find they feel less hungry on higher fiber or higher fat content.
This is about right I think.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I dropped twenty pounds pretty quickly & kept it off by dramatically reducing my carbs & sugar by about 75% of what I used to - and instead eating lots of eggs, meats, cheese, fish, salads, & cooked veggies. I also try to avoid processed foods. (I'll make carb exceptions without guilt when we eat out which isn't often.) Diet change combined with exercise three days a week & I am now at a very healthy weight & as fit as I've ever been in my life. And I certainly don't go hungry.

So now I'm wondering if & when they are going to tell us they were wrong about cholesterol? I tried one of those medications a few years ago & decided the side effects weren't worth it to me. I'm fairly skeptical at the widespread popularity of cholesterol lowering drugs. Think about it ---- big pharma came up with a new pill for millions of people to start buying in their 30's thatthey will take every day & buy for the rest of their lives that will supposedly prevent heart disease. There's gotta be a lot of economic motivation for them to hype a product like that.
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post

The last part makes a huge difference for many. When I ate lots of carbs I was always hungry and reaching for more snacks. Higher levels of fat and protein (with fairly low carbs) leaves me far less hungry. The key outcome is that I never have to consciously portion control. I eat as much as I feel like eating and stay at a very low, very stable weight. Consciously focusing on portion control would be an endless and hopeless task for me and, I gather from the pathetic results, for most people.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

I am having a similar experience. Another 5 pounds to lose max, and I will be done with weight loss and should be able to eat a few high carb things a week without having to worry. That's in addition to ample servings of non-starchy veggies every day.
+2
I started a low carb diet by eliminating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, pizza, cereal and all fried foods from my diet back in October when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I also reduced my beer intake and occasionally substituted it with a glass of wine at dinner.

This diet along with an increase in exercise regimen of daily 45 minutes to an hour walk/treadmill and two hours of tennis twice a week helped me lose 22 lbs and I'm now 5 lbs away from my ideal weight. My blood glucose level dropped to non diabetic level and I feel great and never hungry.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
gone traveling

I don't worry about fat ... I pay very close attention to carbs. I've been at a steady 162 pounds for 5 years after hitting a high of 218. Nowhere close to Atkins low carb approach but I try to limit my intake of carbs at any one time to 30 to 35. Main thing I eliminated were the "stupid carbs" .... McDonalds, huge bowls of ice cream and the like. No way I could have gotten these results without becoming, and staying, physically active.

In my opinion any talk about the unhealthiness of a McDonalds hamburger starts with the white bread bun.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I don't worry about fat ... I pay very close attention to carbs. I've been at a steady 162 pounds for 5 years after hitting a high of 218. Nowhere close to Atkins low carb approach but I try to limit my intake of carbs at any one time to 30 to 35. Main thing I eliminated were the "stupid carbs" .... McDonalds, huge bowls of ice cream and the like. No way I could have gotten these results without becoming, and staying, physically active.

In my opinion any talk about the unhealthiness of a McDonalds hamburger starts with the white bread bun.
+1 I am about the same. When on the road I do occasionally stop for a convenient McD's burger. I get a double meat cheeseburger and tear off about half the bun. That gets rid of teh worst of it although I am sure there are some bad oils in there.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #36

And yet.....I work just fine on Carbo's and have no trouble losing weight eating as much bread etc as I want as long as I stay away from the extra junk food + beer (way too much of both). I don't eat because I am hungry....I eat because I like to eat.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
And yet.....I work just fine on Carbo's and have no trouble losing weight eating as much bread etc as I want as long as I stay away from the extra junk food + beer (way too much of both). I don't eat because I am hungry....I eat because I like to eat.
A large part of my transformation has been my attitude towards eating. I used to like to eat and now regard it as a pain in the ass that must be done. Cutting out a lot of the stuff I truly liked has everything to do with the change in attitude I'm sure.

There is no one right answer to losing weight though physical activity is a key to any approach. The problem we have as a group is in sticking to a plan, whatever it may be.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #38

Quote:
+1 I am about the same. When on the road I do occasionally stop for a convenient McD's burger. I get a double meat cheeseburger and tear off about half the bun. That gets rid of teh worst of it although I am sure there are some bad oils in there.
Many places have bun-less options these days.

I'm partial to Three Guys and Wendy's bunless burgers. They come in a nice tray and are easy to eat with a knife and fork.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Many places have bun-less options these days.

I'm partial to Three Guys and Wendy's bunless burgers. They come in a nice tray and are easy to eat with a knife and fork.
The Carl's Jr low carb $6 burger kicks ass ... wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. But add their smallest serving of fries and it's 50 carbs!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
+2
I started a low carb diet by eliminating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, pizza, cereal and all fried foods from my diet back in October when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I also reduced my beer intake and occasionally substituted it with a glass of wine at dinner.

This diet along with an increase in exercise regimen of daily 45 minutes to an hour walk/treadmill and two hours of tennis twice a week helped me lose 22 lbs and I'm now 5 lbs away from my ideal weight. My blood glucose level dropped to non diabetic level and I feel great and never hungry.
I did that 10 years ago. Had high fasting blood glucose and
really bad chol. and my triglycerides were over 500. Bought
a glucose meter and eliminated anything that made my blood
sugar go up. Lost 30 lbs and have been normal since.
The dr. back then wanted to start me on the drug program
but I decided to see what I could do first.
My new dr says "What ever you are doing, keep doing it"
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote