A Problem for Low-Carb Theories?

If you look at Haub's sample day, he takes in 1589 calories of which 9 x 59 = 531 calories come from fat. This means 1058 calories come from other than fat. If these all came from carbohydrates, he would be getting 67% of his calories from carbohydrates. However, he doesn't tell us the actual amount of carbohydrates that he is eating. There is significant protein in his diet (e.g the Muscle Milk Protein Shake), but he doesn't tell us the total daily amount of protein either. According to the data on food labels, a typical 2000 cal/day diet would include 1200 calories from carbohydrates, or 60%. Since he never tells us how many grams of carbs he is eating per day, we don't know. If it's less than 60%, he could still be "low-carbing" relative to the average diet.

If you look at Haub's sample day, he takes in 1589 calories of which 9 x 59 = 531 calories come from fat. This means 1058 calories come from other than fat. If these all came from carbohydrates, he would be getting 67% of his calories from carbohydrates. However, he doesn't tell us the actual amount of carbohydrates that he is eating. There is significant protein in his diet (e.g the Muscle Milk Protein Shake), but he doesn't tell us the total daily amount of protein either. According to the data on food labels, a typical 2000 cal/day diet would include 1200 calories from carbohydrates, or 60%. Since he never tells us how many grams of carbs he is eating per day, we don't know. If it's less than 60%, he could still be "low-carbing" relative to the average diet.

Though many/most people on the SAD (standard American diet) get way more than that in carbs, including lots of refined grains and sugar.

Maybe our professor of human nutrition was ravenous the whole time and would have gained lots if he had permitted his appetite free rein.

Yes, I think that's true. I would have predicted that after several weeks, he would have been so hungry that he would have said "To hell with this study" and stopped limiting calories.

Taubes cites some research that says that simply limiting calories works fine for about 5% of the population. It's true that there are many different metabolic types out there.

Folks claim that protein-rich diets are satiating and help dieters lose weight by feeling full, and we're all assuming that a carb-rich diet will encourage more eating. I think the professor may have found a way around the overeating problem. Anyone who has worked long hours and been forced to rely on the office vending machine for sustenance know that after a day or so the bloom is pretty much off the rose.
"Dieting Journal, Day 5: Ate one Little Debbie Super Sugar Danish for breakfast. I'm not sure that thing is going to stay down. The thought of Ho-Hos again for lunch darkened my morning."

I think the kind of carbs is important. Flavorful Italian pastas in rich sauces and many varieties? You'll eat plenty, look forward to eating, and get fat. A limited choice of vending machine fare composed of high fructose corn syrup and emulsifiers? Not so much desire for a second helping.

I think the professor may have found a way around the overeating problem. Anyone who has worked long hours and been forced to rely on the office vending machine for sustenance know that after a day or so the bloom is pretty much off the rose.
"Dieting Journal, Day 5: Ate one Little Debbie Super Sugar Danish for breakfast. I'm not sure that thing is going to stay down. The thought of Ho-Hos again for lunch darkened my morning."
Upon further reflection, it does sound like the ultimate aversion therapy...

Back
Top Bottom