A serious question - Immortality ?

A dog in a 3rd-world country may have a tough time (to even survive among people), but it will not get neutered as dogs in the US. Hmmm... Tough choice.

I forgot about neutering so maybe not a dog :).

Recently I met several people here that commented that dogs in the US have it so good. One fellow's wife complained that his dog eats more meat in a single meal than a whole family would have in cuba for a week (dog was on a raw food diet with real pork chops etc).

I guess I'm partly to blame as well as I spent way more on medical care for my dog than I have on myself. I even got a wagon to pull her around when she had difficulty walking.

There's usually a price to pay if you want a sheltered and pampered life. ;) One needs to know in advance to see if he wants to proceed.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 3.19.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 3.19.49 PM.png
    565.6 KB · Views: 13
And yet, a study shows that between parents and offsprings the correlation of their height is great, but that of their lifespan is very poor. Even between identical twins, lifespans vary greatly.

Some people may say that it does not mean that genetic factor is not important, but rather it is because environmental or lifestyle factors trump genetics. Then, it means that there are too many random factors for genetics to dominate.

I started a thread on that issue here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/is-longevity-inherited-76437.html.

Last edited:
Actually, it's not. The longest-lived areas of the world are genetically diverse. History of the Blue Zones

Could it be because of something common in their environments? They all have less stress, less chemicals, eating less of something we do, and more of something we don't?

It does not have to come from genetics.

Last edited:
But is it because of the environment? They have less stress, less chemical, eating less of something we do, and more of something we don't?

It does not have to come from genetics.

The answer is in the link I provided. Many factors...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went there, but did not click on the right spot.

Finally found it here: https://www.bluezones.com/live-longer/.

Basically, 1) Active lifestyle (but not pumping iron or running marathon), 2) Sense of Purpose, 3) Less stress, 4) Eat less, 5) Eat more bean, less meat, 6) Drink moderately (and don't be a teetotaler), 7) Be religious, 8) Close family ties, and 9) Being in a healthy society or social circle.

I suspect not too many people hang around older people, particularly those in hospitals, recovery centers, or nursing homes to see for themselves. And some don't even want to go visit their parents or relatives. So, they stay in denial mode.

+1

Yep, been down this road. Not pretty...

It's one of the main reasons we FIRED. I value the quality of life now. Who knows how the end will come. I've seen that sometimes no amount of money makes a meaningful difference if the health issue is severe enough.

FB

I would be skeptical of that. I believe it's mainly in the genes.

Jeanne Calment, the oldest person ever (122) is a great example:

I have also personally known two people who remained mentally sharp past the age of 100, but I don't believe it's possible to predict who might become a centenarian.

I don't know but this has been published in several sources, not just LA times.

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-blue-zone-loma-linda-20150711-story.html

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom