Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That does look interesting. We recently joined a new Costco near us and I'll check to see if they have it. The Amazon reviews make it seem like it is worth trying out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
That's ~16 an oz. That is a big difference. In fact, it throws up a "too good to be true" flag.
Hmm...well, you know, memory isn't my strong point. I think it was around $5, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it. At the same time, I am a cheap SOB, and can't imagine I would spend much on an unknown like that. I'll check it next time I go. That won't be for a few weeks, though.

Edit: Did a little googling and found out it was $8.99 for the two lb. box. Not too good to be true, but still only $.28 per oz. I also saw that some people are claiming that it's made from black soybeans, not black beans. They're basing that on the protein content. I don't know if they're right or not. It doesn't make any difference to me, but might to some.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #43

I called my local Costco but they didn't carry Explore Asia. I did find two varieties of their products at a local Sprouts. They had a sale going for $3.50 a pack for edamame/mung bean combo fettuccini, but the black bean spaghetti was sold out. I bought the fettuccini pack and the texture wasn't quite right and it had a typical soy odor but it was OK with pesto sauce which pretty much killed the weird soy smell (but the texture needs a little improvement.).

The good news is that my BG hardly went up at all. (I added roasted chicken cubes (salt and pepper only) with pesto sauce.(pesto sauce from Costco - I divide Costco's fresh pesto in small containers and freeze them and scoop out what I need out)). My BG started at 91 and after 45 minutes it was 92 and after 1.5 hours it was 98 and at 2 hours it was 92. It was as if I ate nothing at all...(I think I ate maybe about 2 cups cooked noodles which is a whole lot more pasta than I would ever dare to eat..)

I am going to go back to Sprouts tomorrow to get the black bean spaghetti. (Hopefully they will restock..)

Thank you for introducing me to this.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

A really old article but still the reason that I avoid non-fermented Soy.

Newest Research on the Dangers of Soy
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #45

Quote:

I have her book (Sally's) Nourishing Traditions. Tofu is supposed to be bad for you but I am originally from Japan and tofu is kind of a staple food for the Japanese so I eat it. According to her almost all beans and nuts have toxins and soaking them remover some of the toxins. Anyway she is probably right. She advocates raw milk and fermented foods and she knows what she is talking about.

Anyway, I see people drinking soy milk like you would drink water, or eat protein bars full of concentrated soy. I wouldn't do that, but eating some soy based foods? I guess I still do occasionally (probably a whole lot less than the Japanese) even after reading Sally's book...
Old 02-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

This undoubtedly explains why there are no old people in Japan.

I do not think the authors understand what actual scientific research is. Reading the paper, I see a sort of hypothesis, but there does not appear to be any attempt to test their hypothesis. Instead, there are a series of opinions given unsubstantiated by data. Indeed, the entire 'research' performed here is remarkably devoid of any form of rigorous testing or analysis.

The paper does include citations at least. Unfortunately, many of the cited 'research' works are similar to this paper, implying a rather circular, isolated research community.

I'm note entirely sure I'd trust unresearched 'research'. I particularly would not trust medical 'research' or 'news' from someone whose business depends on the information they present (editorial bias), or who is opposed to immunization, fluoridation, mammography, or Vitamin K for newborns.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I'm definitely opposed to mammography for newborns.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
This undoubtedly explains why there are no old people in Japan.

I do not think the authors understand what actual scientific research is. Reading the paper, I see a sort of hypothesis, but there does not appear to be any attempt to test their hypothesis. Instead, there are a series of opinions given unsubstantiated by data.
There is of course, push back on this issue. Re - cancer and more general critique of the animal studies used, this entry from Dr. McCullough at the American Cancer Society -

The Bottom Line on Soy and Breast Cancer Risk

and her reference to the NIH study

Metabolic phenotype of isoflavones differ among female rats, pigs, ... - PubMed - NCBI
Old 02-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
There is of course, push back on this issue. Re - cancer and more general critique of the animal studies used, this entry from Dr. McCullough at the American Cancer Society -

The Bottom Line on Soy and Breast Cancer Risk

and her reference to the NIH study

Metabolic phenotype of isoflavones differ among female rats, pigs, ... - PubMed - NCBI
Yup. A diet with selected concentrated chemical compounds from foodstuffs is different than a diet with the unmodified foodstuffs. Also, rat metabolism differs in some ways from human metabolism.

It's a looong stretch from real data to "OMG! Teh soys causes teh cancers! Quick! Buy my eggplant cancer cure cream!"
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

What is the probability that you are NOT diabetic if your fasting blood glucose is 110-126 mg/dl?

Quote:
If you have a FBG reading of 110-126 mg/dl (6.1-7 mmol/l) very likely your doctor will tell you that you are either diabetic or well on your way be becoming diabetic.
Spoiler Alert!
Quote:
That is, if your fasting blood glucose is in the 110-126 mg/dl range (6.1-7 mmol/l) then the probability that you DO NOT have diabetes is 72 percent. It would be much safer to bet that you do not have diabetes than that you do, even at that relatively high range.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote