AARP

Unlike most of this group, I like AARP and enjoy the magazine they send me monthly. It has interesting information. They were also very helpful about health insurance for me after COBRA runs out. There is a lot of info on their website, and the membership is free. I think they are trying very hard to advocate for programs that will ultimately help seniors. Just my 2 cents folks - I don't want to start a war here.

Pretty much agree.......

I get stuff from AARP regularly, it goes directly in the waste paper basket and never makes it out of the post office.

I get stuff from AARP regularly, it goes directly in the waste paper basket and never makes it out of the post office.
You are missing out on all the fun! Before you leave the post office, rip out every "Business Reply Mail" card in the AARP publications, write a nasty note to them (or whoever is advertising in the AARP publications) and drop them right in the mailbox. The recipient pays for postage on all these things when they get them, and they'll get to see what people think of their organization and their politics. As a bonus, think of it as your own personal stimulus plan for USPS workers.

For us, belonging to the AARP has been similar to the yrs DW belonged to a strong union with an active and powerful local. Like AARP, the union local sometimes negotiated for benefits that to me, observing as a citizen of the community, seemed far reaching, unreasonable, excessively expensive, unsustainable in the long run or just plain selfish (they grabbed because they could). Literature that arrived at the house in the mail was often so full of ridiculous propaganda, we couldn't get it to the trash fast enough. But.......... hey, the benefits obtained were landing right on our plate. And they were emmmm, emmmm good! So, despite it not being a closed shop, DW maintained membership (although was not active in any leadership role) and just accepted any "too good to be true" or "good for us but probably not good for the community" benefits with a shrug.

We do the same thing with AARP. My eyes roll back when I see some of what they're advocating. Yet, in aggregate, they seem to do more good than harm and at 62 yo I prefer to have someone looking out for my interests even if I disagree with some of the details.

Membership is so cheap that even thinking about cost as a consideration of belonging is silly. It's really a matter of whether you want them there or want them gone.

You are missing out on all the fun! Before you leave the post office, rip out every "Business Reply Mail" card in the AARP publications, write a nasty note to them (or whoever is advertising in the AARP publications) and drop them right in the mailbox. The recipient pays for postage on all these things when they get them, and they'll get to see what people think of their organization and their politics. As a bonus, think of it as your own personal stimulus plan for USPS workers.

I like to take postage paid envelopes and put all the contents of what I received in that envelope and send it back to them.

Back
Top Bottom