AARP

Whisper9999

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, I'm trying to be excited about this: I got my first AARP membership card in the mail. The yearly membership looks cheap, so I guess I'll probably do it, but here's my question: what discounts can I get with this card that aren't travel-related?

The reason I ask is that I've still got 3 kids and a German Shepherd puppy at hom and I can't really travel very easily right now. But I'm wondering if there are some savings I might get from this card.

Help me to be excited about heading into my next half century - please!

Go to the AARP website and click on the link for member benefits/discounts. I never found anything I thought of particular value when I belonged.

As far as the discounts go, AARP is basically a one-stop shop for discounts that are available in many varied places and in different ways.

Well, what I was more hoping is that certain businesses, restaurants, etc. honored it somehow? I guess not, eh?

Well, what I was more hoping is that certain businesses, restaurants, etc. honored it somehow? I guess not, eh?
Some do, but many give senior discounts with or without AARP (of course, "senior discounts" usually kick in somewhere between 55 and 65, and AARP kicks in at 50). As for travel discounts, if one is a AAA member you can often get the same rates as AARP members.

As for travel discounts, if one is a AAA member you can often get the same rates as AARP members.

While true, it is quite common for an establishment to only honor one or the other but not both. And... IIRC, AAA is much more expensive than AARP.

While I'm here I may as well say that while AARP does not have a very good reputation in this Forum, I, personally, have not had any complaints with or about them. I am happy with them if only because of my Medicare Advantage program through SecureHorizons.

(I am unsure how to keep this non-polical but their lobbying efforts do serve a useful purpose... if only for bringing another voice to the table.)

While true, it is quite common for an establishment to only honor one or the other but not both. And... IIRC, AAA is much more expensive than AARP.
Sure, if you are not a member of either and you're only looking to join something for discounts. My point was more along the lines of thinking that some people may already be members of something that provide similar discounts, or that there are alternative groups to join which may provide other benefits.

One mans trash in another's treasure... There lobbying efforts is one reason why I don't support them.

Yeah, if I censured everyone I didn't agree with, I wouldn't know anything and be dumb as a stump. Wait! Apparently, it doesn't matter.

(I didn't voice an opinion on whether I agreed with them or not -- only that it is great to have dissenting voices.)

I am happy with them if only because of my Medicare Advantage program through SecureHorizons.
That highlights an interesting issue, as AARP is supporting the present "reform" that will effectively kill Medicare Advantage programs. AARP members who like their own particular AARP-sponsored Medicare Advantage program might do well to advise the organization of their opinions.

I recently received an invitation to join, and was happy to use their Business Reply envelope to decline their offer and share a few thoughts with them about how their political activism might impact their membership numbers.

I recently received an invitation to join, and was happy to use their Business Reply envelope to decline their offer and share a few thoughts with them about how their political activism might impact their membership numbers.
This thread was more about their discounts than their political lobbying, but yeah, I think you're right. Plus I think some seniors reject AARP's agenda as one that advocates policy to keep taking more of the future prosperity from their kids and grandkids for their own personal gain today.

In the end, seniors will probably get their revenge when the (likely, IMO) continued economic correction off the post-WW2 prosperity bubble means more of them will be moving back in with their kids and grandkids anyway, as "retirement" for the middle class becomes an endangered species in the decades to come...

AARP = "Junk Mail Magnet." Stay away!

Okay,

You guys scared me with some of your comments. I think I need to do a little more research. I'm not sure that's a woman I want to get in bed with...

My mother in law bought me a membership in AARP when I turned 50. I kept it for a year. However, I received too much junk mail from them. Never renewed.
And I don't agree with their politics. They sound too much like they are in favor of eating your grandchildren.

My mother in law bought me a membership in AARP when I turned 50. I kept it for a year. However, I received too much junk mail from them. Never renewed.
And I don't agree with their politics. They sound too much like they are in favor of eating your grandchildren.

Lol!

I didn't join. I told my wife when they started sending me stuff at age 50 that I wouldn't join until I was actually eligible to retire which was on Nov 23, 2008. I think my wife joined for me on Nov 24, 2008, since I had a card in my possession by early december.

I have not found any information or usefulness in being a member.

Z

Unlike most of this group, I like AARP and enjoy the magazine they send me monthly. It has interesting information. They were also very helpful about health insurance for me after COBRA runs out. There is a lot of info on their website, and the membership is free. I think they are trying very hard to advocate for programs that will ultimately help seniors. Just my 2 cents folks - I don't want to start a war here.

One mans trash in another's treasure... There lobbying efforts is one reason why I don't support them.
I'll support any group that lobbies for things that at least conceivably might help me. All the other guys are supporting lobbyists who want to damage me.

Ha

I'll support any group that lobbies for things that at least conceivably might help me. All the other guys are supporting lobbyists who want to damage me.

Ha
And the membership is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom