AARP vs EhealthInsurance Quotes?

reubenray

Recycles dryer sheets
Without having to find an actual agent from Aetna to get a quote how much difference will the AARP/Aetna plans be from the Ehealth quotes? For my situation the best quotes from Ehealth range from $260 to $500+.

I believe Ehealth includes AARP/Aetna quotes. If so, then you should be able to compare them side-by-side.

Without having to find an actual agent from Aetna to get a quote how much difference will the AARP/Aetna plans be from the Ehealth quotes? For my situation the best quotes from Ehealth range from $260 to $500+.
Individual plans are underwritten. That means they probably aren't giving you a quote, just an estimate. You have to fill out a detailed questionnaire with your medical history, they look at it and then give you a rate - or decline to offer you a plan. You can use an independent agent to get better estimates or quotes from multiple insurance providers.

Individual plans are underwritten. That means they probably aren't giving you a quote, just an estimate. You have to fill out a detailed questionnaire with your medical history, they look at it and then give you a rate - or decline to offer you a plan. You can use an independent agent to get better estimates or quotes from multiple insurance providers.

+1. Good point about only estimates and not quotes.

I got my current Aetna policy through ehealth. You can get a quick quote directly from Aetna's web site (except for the AARP plans) but in my experience it was the same as ehealth. And as the others stated it is just an estimate but should be what you will pay if you have no health issues or pre-existing conditions. To get an actual rate you will have to fill out a detailed health questionnaire listing your medical history and then go through a phone interview with an Aetna agent.

Make sure you read the coverage on the AARP plans. I initially went with one of their HD HSA plan which didn't cover office visits among other things. I understood that from the beginning but thought I would get the insurance company negotiated rate for any office visit. I found out after the fact that since office visits aren't covered the negotiated rates don't apply.

Last edited:
Back when I got my HI prior to FIRE'ing, I went ahead and used ehealth to compare the various estimates.

Then I used an agent from NAHU - National Association of Health Underwriters, telling the agent that I had a policy in mind already. The agent was quite helpful in the process.

Back when I got my HI prior to FIRE'ing, I went ahead and used ehealth to compare the various estimates.

Then I used an agent from NAHU - National Association of Health Underwriters, telling the agent that I had a policy in mind already. The agent was quite helpful in the process.
When we were moving from NY to FL I called BCBS and asked for a quote. They said no quotes until my address was Fl, but they would give me an estimate. They asked about 10 health questions, the answers included disclosure of a pre-existing condition, for which they gave me an estimate and suggested they would attach a rider. We moved, applied, and they denied coverage due to the same preexisting condition. Turns out, it was an automatic disqualifier and there was never any intention of providing coverage. They were kind enough to wait 50 days to let me know, so I had a week to figure out what to do before falling out of the continuing coverage window. Now when I fill out an application for health insurance I get to reply "yes" to "have you ever been rejected for health insurance".

An agent would have helped avoid that. Until the PPACA is fully implemented, an agent is a "must have" IMHO.

When we were moving from NY to FL I called BCBS and asked for a quote. They said no quotes until my address was Fl, but they would give me an estimate. They asked about 10 health questions, the answers included disclosure of a pre-existing condition, for which they gave me an estimate and suggested they would attach a rider. We moved, applied, and they denied coverage due to the same preexisting condition. Turns out, it was an automatic disqualifier and there was never any intention of providing coverage. They were kind enough to wait 50 days to let me know, so I had a week to figure out what to do before falling out of the continuing coverage window. Now when I fill out an application for health insurance I get to reply "yes" to "have you ever been rejected for health insurance".

An agent would have helped avoid that. Until the PPACA is fully implemented, an agent is a "must have" IMHO.

That was one of the main reasons why I had the help of an agent and actually had her help me apply while both of us were on the phone.

As each time rejected, than can go on your Medical Information Bureau (MIB) file. The MIB acts like your credit record but is about how insurable you are.

If interested, You can get more about that at The Medical Information Bureau - How to Access the Medical Information Bureau

The key is to don't go applying to a lot of places all at once as each time you get rejected makes you look like a bigger risk. Instead, work with an agent who can see ahead of time if you are likely to get accepted before applying.

Of course, all this may be a moot point once PPACA is in place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom