Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Hmmm, I see some confusion here, at least regarding health care economics. Recall that obese people, smokers, and especially obese smokers use less lifetime health care than healthy people.

Kramer

In the Balance
Then factor into the equation that they won't put a strain on SS payout.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Practically, it is not often a problem since HgbA1C is not interpreted like a blood sugar, but rather as a long term barometer of control.
Not sure exactly what you mean by this. Lower A1c seems to be correlated with fewer diabetes-related complications. But isn't this just another way of saying that, for diabetics, the lower the average blood glucose the better? As I understand it, the only way to estimate the average blood glucose (EAG) practically and economically is to measure A1c. There is even a formula that relates EAG to A1c. The ADA is recommending using this formula to do the conversion and reporting the EAG to patients instead of the A1c

Estimating Average Blood Glucose

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by this.
Marked glucose volatility may be overlooked if you rely solely on the HgbA1C. That is one reason why you look at home blood glucose readings, symptoms, and other factors as well. And occasionally patients may not be forthcoming about poor control at home, then behave themselves a few days before their doctor visits. The glycohemoglobin may be a useful tipoff and lead to beneficial discussions.

I imagine that average blood sugar, taken at strictly controlled times and firmly structured insulin or medication use would be useful, but much more cumbersome. Plus the outcome studies are much more robust with hgbA1C. But yes, EAG and HgbA1c could reasonably be considered as proxies for one another under the right circumstances.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Marked glucose volatility may be overlooked if you rely solely on the HgbA1C. That is one reason why you look at home blood glucose readings, symptoms, and other factors as well. And occasionally patients may not be forthcoming about poor control at home, then behave themselves a few days before their doctor visits. The glycohemoglobin may be a useful tipoff and lead to beneficial discussions.

I imagine that average blood sugar, taken at strictly controlled times and firmly structured insulin or medication use would be useful, but much more cumbersome. Plus the outcome studies are much more robust with hgbA1C. But yes, EAG and HgbA1c could reasonably be considered as proxies for one another under the right circumstances.
I think you are missing my point (or more likely, I am making it poorly).

The ADA is recommending that patients still have their A1c checked bi-annually, but that the results be converted to EAG with the formula cited in my link, with the hope that the EAG will indicate to the patients that perhaps the average number they are getting from their home meters is artificially biased low due to infrequent testing (e.g. once a day) and also testing at times which are more convenient (e.g. before meals as opposed to after).

As I understand it, in the study to come up with a formula relating A1c to EAG, the subjects wore 24-hour meters that took readings at regular intervals (e.g. every X minutes). They then regressed the average of these data aginst the A1c measurements to come up with the formula cited in my link.

Thus, the only real difference is that the same results will be reported to the patient as a different number. I would guess many doctors have (or should have) tables like the one cited in my link so, that they can tell their patients what the A1c number means in terms of average blood sugar level.

Finally, IMO, the upside of this is that maybe doctors, patients, and even the ADA itself will recognize that an A1c of 7% (EAG = 154) is really pretty lousy blood glucose control. Think about what range of blood glucose values would likely lead to an average of 154. Someone whose blood sugar averaged 154 is probably experiencing dangerous levels of blood sugar much of the time.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Interesting.
I was obese for several years (40s & 50s) and did not develop diabetes.
Mother did develop diabetes (insulin dependent) in her 50s.
I wonder if it was because I got fat on fat and meat and not on sugar.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Finally, IMO, the upside of this is that maybe doctors, patients, and even the ADA itself will recognize that an A1c of 7% (EAG = 154) is really pretty lousy blood glucose control. Think about what range of blood glucose values would likely lead to an average of 154. Someone whose blood sugar averaged 154 is probably experiencing dangerous levels of blood sugar much of the time.
Plus, there are other issues that can influence A1c numbers. I'm not positive what the cause is, but I've never scored higher than 5.9 on an A1c, but I've also never registered under 100 on a regular meter check. Usually closer to 150, and often fasting is over 200. This is all without medication. And I'm actually pretty consistant BGL wise. Not good, but consistant. So something is causing me to register normal on the A1c, even though I'm definitely diabetic. My personal guess is that my slight anemia is the cause, but my doc and endo don't have an explanation. So it is very important (assuming yoy are diabetic or even pre) to do the at home testing. A1cs can be misleading.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The dirty little secret the medical community is keeping from you is that more than nine out of ten North Americans currently suffer from senescence.

Don't just sit there; call your Congresscritter right now and demand that something be done about this scourge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Hmmm, I see some confusion here, at least regarding health care economics. Recall that obese people, smokers, and especially obese smokers use less lifetime health care than healthy people.
Didn't we have recently a long thread on SS funding running out?

Heck, I say we call Congresscritters to ask them to incentivize people by providing earlier and/or higher SS to people who smoke and have high BMIs. Remember that Medicare is a bigger drain to the country coffer than SS. Better give 'em more SS earlier than lots of Medicare later. It would be a good exchange, I believe.

We cannot afford too many Jack Lalannes. Oops! I forgot that Jack Lalanne types can be put to w*rk until their 90s.