Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Not sure how well that works. I just finished reading "From Eternity to Here," about quantum gravity, the arrow of time/entropy, multiverses, etc., but I have already forgotten 90% of what I read.
I've always had problems recalling what I've read. I can read an article, but can't paraphrase the article worth a darn. Yet, certain bits of it I'd have a really good memory of. Been that way all my life.

Back while w*rking, I had one boss who was great at paraphrasing. Coming out of a meeting, he'd be able to summarize the whole meeting. Come a week later, he'd forget some of the details whereas I'd remember some of the details but if asked to summarize what the meeting was about I'd be at a lost.

Over time, I've concluded it's just the way I process information.

It's like driving. There are those who get confused if refering to a map while driving. On the otherhand, I can't drive with only written directions, need a pictorial view.

Maybe it's a right-brain, left-brain thing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
association triggers. Like tonight, I want to remember to put the cover on the grill, I told myself that when I shut off the lights downstairs that I would remember to go out and cover the grill.
I take this a step further, using the techniques from one of Harry Lorayne's books (e.g. this one). You picture burning yourself on the light switch as you shut it off, because it's hot from the grill. Or you picture hot coals falling out of the wall when you flip the switch. Those kinds of things are very effective.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This is a conversation DH and I had the other day....

Me...pointing to a neighbor's yard, then looking at DH. "Didn't you tell me that is Wisteria?"

DH..."No, that's what you told me it is."

Me..."Oh."
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've always had problems recalling what I've read. I can read an article, but can't paraphrase the article worth a darn. Yet, certain bits of it I'd have a really good memory of. Been that way all my life.

Back while w*rking, I had one boss who was great at paraphrasing. Coming out of a meeting, he'd be able to summarize the whole meeting. Come a week later, he'd forget some of the details whereas I'd remember some of the details but if asked to summarize what the meeting was about I'd be at a lost.

Over time, I've concluded it's just the way I process information.

It's like driving. There are those who get confused if refering to a map while driving. On the otherhand, I can't drive with only written directions, need a pictorial view.

Maybe it's a right-brain, left-brain thing.
Its about the same with me. Not good or bad -- just the way it is.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...I worry sometimes that since I FIRE'd I don't stimulate my brain enough like when I did on the job.. but it sure feels good taking it easy
I've had just the opposite happen...now that I'm FIREd, I have more mental stimulation than when I was chained to sitting in front of the computer in Cubeworld with daily sensory deprivation no windows.
I have a weekly calendar reminder set up to remind me to do things that stimulate my memory. How that for a solution ?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I write things on my calendar in the office as reminders. I try to keep to a routine and make notes to myself. I drop things on the kitchen table as I come in the house, and put them there to mail the next day when I go out. Keys, purse, sunglasses, etc. are all kept on the kitchen table. I try to pay bills as they come in...in one day, out the next. Very little interest to be earned on the checking account so what the heck. That handling a letter, bill only once(take care of it right away) seems to work for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If your to-do list is an external (outside-the-home) thing, put the list in your shoe the night before so you don't forget to take it.

Clean up and re-arrange stuff at your own risk. If you do, helps to have a searchable up-to-date Excel spreadsheet of where stuff is
Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
If your to-do list is an external (outside-the-home) thing, put the list in your shoe the night before so you don't forget to take it.

Clean up and re-arrange stuff at your own risk. If you do, helps to have a searchable up-to-date Excel spreadsheet of where stuff is
It is also helpful to put lists/notes under car keys or taped to steering wheel.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

And then there is the infamous yellow sticky Post-It note on the inside of the front door, right at eye level...
Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been a list maker for years. That's the best way for me keep things straight. I think the worst thing for people to do is multi-task. To be good at whatever you do, I feel you must concentrate on one thing at a time.

A.A.A.D.D. -- KNOW THE SYMPTOMS...!

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing. As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first. I take my check book off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to
my desk where I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm, and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold. As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye...they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day, the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter, the flowers don't have enough water, there is still only 1 check in my check book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all darn day,
and I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail...and the ER forums...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...write down everything as soon as you think of it.
Khan, I tried this here on FIRE and it didn't work out too well...