Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ACA additional verification of income letter
Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

ACA additional verification of income letter

Just got a letter requesting additional verification of income. I provided 2012 tax return but new list of options does not include this. Has anyone else dealt with this and if so what is best way to handle?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd call the 800 number ask what they expect. You may have to ask for a supervisor, as they may not know on the front lines yet.

I haven't had deal with this issue yet, I thought another poster may have
dealt with issue. Don't recall the topic. They may have a better answer on what they provided.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I ahve been receiving these letters from my state's (New York) exchange for several months since I enrolled. I made the last of many posts on my ongoing minor fiasco here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-69845-16.html

Post #302 is it. My problem seems more state-specific.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hard to help without specifics of what they are asking for. Try calling them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I received an additional request for 2014 income info just a couple of days ago.
I called but concluded the person on phone could not help me with specifics. I also had trouble logging into the ACA web site. They changed all of the passwords last month and I locked things up trying a new one.
Once in the web site, I noticed that the site was having heartburn about DW not having any income. Much of our income is investment. I will not know how it all plays out for sure until the end of the year. I put some 2014 brokerage statements in there (we own joint). We will see if this makes everyone happy.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I received a request to prove identity and citizenship for all members of my family. I guess the identity check they did at the start wasn't good enough. Or perhaps it is because my income changed so dramatically from 2012 to 2014, that someone had trouble believing it's me. Or maybe it's a random sweep.

Late last year I was asked to upload documents to explain my estimated income. I created a pdf file with the explanation including previous year statements from brokerages as supporting evidence. I uploaded it to the healthcare site even though a hybrid combo document was not a valid option.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

I was able to get them to reset my account after the April 19th forced password change and then login. I previously sent them my 2012 1040 first two pages. that was not good enough apparently. This time I sent them my carefully blacked out income statements from investments showing only name and income with the added application id. it is easy to upload these documents so hopefully this will cover it.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi I got the letter, and after finally getting into the site, I no longer could find where one can upload documents...so I mailed in these docs: a letter from my Employer saying I had retired (early), and I sent in my small amount i took out of my 401k to supplement my cash, that I will live on in 2014. This shows my small taxable income. I couldnt send in past 1040s as they showed my (large) preretirement income. I am hoping this will be accepted...and will all come out in the wash, when i do my 2014 taxes. That will be when it is proved as to whether I should or shouldnt have gotten a supplement.
2retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

My GF got an email asking for income verification. We had previously provided 2013 w-2 as proof. Rep said everyone got one regardless of whether or not they had previously provided income verification and that GF was good. End of discussion for now....but something tells me she'll get another email before the July cutoff date for providing 2014 verification.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #10

Just my 2 cents. ACA, in Calif. call Covered CA.

Wife, 2 kids, got subsidy. Wife, starts Medical July 1. Wife call Covered CA
early June. Say's take me off, effective July 1. Covered CA rep, says, better to wait, and call June 30th. Because if you put the request in now,
your cover age may end NOW, not June 30th. (glitch in system).

Wife calls, today, June 30, AM. At least she got a "live" person. CSR says,
sorry, system will be down for a week!. But, CSR, says, give him the information, and he will enter in the information next week, retroactive to
June 30th, effective July 1st.

Have many more stories, Moral, this all system is a mess. Not well thought out.

Use 2102, form 1040 to verify income. But subsidy is based on 2014 income which is still "pending". And if you are $1 over set limits, you lose
subsidy and have to pay it back.

Base on my experience with Normal IRS audits, It usually take 3 years, for
IRS to audit tax return after it's filed.

Wonder if this ACA, system, will take that long to inform "clients" if they
went over limits to qualify for ACA. ie. If you own a lot of Mutual Funds,
you really don't know, until you receive your 1099's how much, capital
gains, dividends etc, you made for the previous year.....

Sorry just venting a little.....
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Do they only use prior year W2 to determine subsidy eligibility? We plan to retire in late 2015, probably with $260k or thereabouts MAGI for 2015 tax year but we will have a MAGI of about $23,000 in 2016.

Edit: Guess I should read the thread closer. I had assumed that we would just get the subsidy refunded to us when we did our 2016 taxes in 2017 but it looks like from previous posters you can submit documentation showing reduced income that overrides previous year W2 income as proof.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I sent a statement that showed some income as well as a ledger of various income items (odd jobs and such). Also included a letter explaining how I expect my income to develop through the rest of 2014. It's somewhat scary sending a statement given everything else they know about me but I did redact the acct # for what that's worth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum
ernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernow View Post
I sent a statement that showed some income as well as a ledger of various income items (odd jobs and such). Also included a letter explaining how I expect my income to develop through the rest of 2014. It's somewhat scary sending a statement given everything else they know about me but I did redact the acct # for what that's worth.

Eh, they probably know everything anyway.

How does that phrase go? "To reach the NSA, dial any number"
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Eh, they probably know everything anyway.

How does that phrase go? "To reach the NSA, dial any number"

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm more worried about a rogue employee trying to get into the account. I remember a story about a nurse who stole 30k from a patient's IRA by intercepting a statement from her mail and using other info she had for the patient. I do check the account everyday so they would not get far anyway.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Just my 2 cents. ACA, in Calif. call Covered CA.

Have many more stories, Moral, this all system is a mess. Not well thought out.
Still a mess. We just moved to another county in CA, that's all. No change in income or anything else, but I still can't get our exact same plan moved to my new county.

The online chat person, Xang, assures me that he/she will put in a ticket so that IT can fix the problem and that will allow me to do what he/she says I am eligible to do online.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Asked us twice to provide docs. Did so twice. Just got letter saying everything approved and no more docs needed. Success!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Buck2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retireearly View Post
Hi I got the letter, and after finally getting into the site, I no longer could find where one can upload documents...so I mailed in these docs: a letter from my Employer saying I had retired (early), and I sent in my small amount i took out of my 401k to supplement my cash, that I will live on in 2014. This shows my small taxable income. I couldnt send in past 1040s as they showed my (large) preretirement income. I am hoping this will be accepted...and will all come out in the wash, when i do my 2014 taxes. That will be when it is proved as to whether I should or shouldnt have gotten a supplement.
And I keep getting the emails asking for me to send documentation to Verify Income after I got a mailed letter from them on June 14th. I mailed the documentation to them on June 14th, as at that time, I was unable to upload a doc on their site. Then a few weeks ago, I got the email again...and I was able to (I think) successfully upload my docs on the site. Of course, once you have uploaded them, they go off to vaporland, and you can't look to see if you actually uploaded anything. So, I got the email again today...I uploaded them yet again (my 'box' doesn't say VERIFY, it says Submitted)...so I also called to ask, if I really needed to do anything. Were they indeed 'there' and submitted. Could the woman on the phone (after 45 min hold) check She couldn't. The site isn't set up for them to be able to see (huh? )...and she couldn't see if they ever received my mailed in docs or not (no notes..huh??). So I uploaded them AGAIN (per her suggestion), got the SUCCESS green check...then off they went to vaporland, and I will be mailing with a Receipt/certified mailing. I retired december 2013, and am (on purpose) living off a small taxable income, along with cash...so I am doing all of this to get the promised subsidy....
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernow View Post

Hi, are you still getting the emails that ask you to still send the documentation, like I am? thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2retireearly View Post
Hi, are you still getting the emails that ask you to still send the documentation, like I am? thanks

I got the letter mid June and sent docs certified mail. Haven't heard back yet.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I uploaded mine on June 15th, the day after they requested info. Today I got a last chance to submit email from them. So I'm on hold, waiting for a cust service rep at the moment.