Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Yes. Split time between Canada and USA most likely requires two separate policies. One for ACA in USA and one for Canada.

If bulk of time is in Canada, You could get a Canada health policy and then purchase "travelers insurance" for coverage in USA for short durations when not in Canada. That may be cheaper than 2 policies one being a genuine ACA policy.

you may be hit with an ACA penalty if not having ACA compliant healthcare policy unless can prove Canada presence/residence .

There are policies out there that cover world-wide but they are really very spendy. 15k per year premiums plus deductible

Check out web site brokerfish.com for multi and single country expat health insurance. Any of those with added USA cover get expensive fast.

In our case we plan to snowbird in other countries so for us it's an ACA policy while in USA and then a separate non- ACA global (ex-us) policy when abroad. Going through this real time and will share what I find ...
Thank you very much, papadad.

I won't be a resident of Canada for several more months, so I won't be able to get a Canada health policy until then, so it sounds like I will need to carry two policies like you said - one from NY and a traveler's insurance while in Canada. If the sum of the cost of the NY ACA and the traveler's insurance is more than the Cobra, I imagine I should consider going with Cobra? (As far as I know, the current provider which would be my Cobra provider covers any Emergency/Urgent care visits in any country)?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #22
gone traveling

Don't forget to not just consider the cost of premiums but also deductible and copays.

Suspect cobra may be more expensive premium wise vs ACA+travel policy but the oop maximums and the deductibles of cobra could be cheaper if you had high usage of insurance - as the cobra would add / pool all that you spend in all locations together to meet deductible and max oop limits.

I am learning real time here trying to get global-coverage insurance myself.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Don't forget to not just consider the cost of premiums but also deductible and copays.

Suspect cobra may be more expensive premium wise vs ACA+travel policy but the oop maximums and the deductibles of cobra could be cheaper if you had high usage of insurance - as the cobra would add / pool all that you spend in all locations together to meet deductible and max oop limits.

I am learning real time here trying to get global-coverage insurance myself.
You are so right about the deductibles and the copays!

My current insurance is set up differently from other ones and it gives me up front $1000 to spend (which I have spent $100 on so far this year) and after that is spent, I have to pay out of pocket up to $1600 and then it goes to 70/30 or 60/40 (depending upon if the doctor is within the network or not, and the rate is fixed for network providers.) Anyway, out of pocket maximum is $3150 (a little more for Out of Network). My understanding is I can continue on with the same coverage for Cobra and this covers my Dr's visits anywhere in the US plus emergency visits in foreign countries (while the NY insurance will only cover doctors in the area), so it is not such a bad deal, is it, because when I look at the NY plans, the deductible is higher and the out of pocket maximum is twice as much on Silver Plan although the premium is lower by almost $200/mo. I am leaning more and more toward Cobra at this point (since NY one I will have to add a traveler's health insurance on top of it.) although I may pay more up front with Cobra, the maximum out of pocket is lower.

Thank you very much for reminding me these points!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote