ACA & Cobra

Buck2520

Recycles dryer sheets
New question about ACA coverage. Retiring in Jan so loosing health ins for wife. I have VA Coverage so no issue for me. Upon filling out the ACA application there is a question that ask if she would be eligible for COBRA coverage. I assume we could get COBRA coverage through my previous employer but I know it would cost more than 9.5% of our MAGI. We want a policy off the exchange with subsidy. How do we answer this question, do you say yes if you think you can, then have to prove the COBRA coverage is not affordable. Finding this whole process harder to understand than I thought

Noticed that question was introduced. I answered yes for 2013, no for 2014, since it will expire. I think run it by folks at healthcare.gov. Did Megacorp send you anything in that regard. I did get something from mine saying their plan was ACA compliant, but I wasn't eligible.

MRG

I completed application for my spouse and no such question was on the web site app.

I am in a similar situation. I just retired from MegaCorp and I am currently buying insurance on the open market. MegaCorp offers retiree insurance at a higher rate than on the open market. I can apply anytime and get retiree insurance until age 65. Do I qualify for ACA coverage ? I answered no to question if I had coverage from a job on ACA application since I do not have a job.

Thanks to bamsphd, used their link to find this info on healthcare.gov

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-...my-cobra-expires-even-outside-open-enrollment

----------------
Can I drop COBRA and get Marketplace coverage instead and qualify for lower costs based on my income?

Yes. You can drop your COBRA coverage and get a plan in the Health Insurance Marketplace during the open enrollment period. Coverage can begin as early as January 1, 2014. Open enrollment ends March 31, 2014.

When you apply for a Marketplace plan, you may qualify for lower costs on monthly premiums or out-of-pocket costs. This will depend on your household size and income. With the same application you’ll also find out whether you qualify for Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
It’s important not to let your COBRA coverage end before your Marketplace plan begins. Otherwise there will be a gap in your coverage
-----------------

Don't know why they even ask the question since you can drop COBRA for an exchange plan.

Back
Top Bottom