Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

ACA Cost Sharing Reductions (CSRs) will no longer be funded
Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trump has decided to stop payments for the Silver plan CSRs.

Plan accordingly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep. I've been planning to have 100k earmarked for insurance premiums to get me to Medicare for a while now. Pretty much saw this coming.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 AM   #3

I think CSRs are for those under the 200% poverty rate, so does not effect everyone on the exchange.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I think CSRs are for those under the 200% poverty rate, so does not effect everyone on the exchange.
It affects the availability of plans on the exchanges. Insurers are leery of getting into markets where they can't get business.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It affects me GREATLY......
Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

From my reading it affects mostly above 400% FPL, they have to cover the premium increase. People on subsidy still get it.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Administrator

This is difficult to discuss, because it appears to be an announcement but no details are available. There was an executive order on healthcare, so there are other changes to the ACA as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #8

I just read an explanation of what the affect of this change would be. I had assumed that with the Gov't Subsidies gone those who qualify for the subsidies would experience varying degrees of premium increases, but the law as it currently exists actually protects the premiums of those with subsidies. The premium increases would be born only by those in the plan who don't qualify for the subsidies, as the law which has not been repealed codifies how the premiums are calculated for those below 400% of the FPL. In essence the insurance companies will no longer receive the subsidies so they will increase premiums to offset that loss. Those below 400% will experience no increased premiums and those who don't qualify will absorb the increase. Bottom line: those over 400% will go elsewhere and the insurers will pull out and the exchanges will collapse.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is difficult to discuss, because it appears to be an announcement but no details are available. There was an executive order on healthcare, so there are other changes to the ACA as well.
Here is the EO but I think it only covers the cross state association plans. I think the decision not to extend cost sharing supplements is just that - a decision, no EO required. NBC and others are saying that the WH announced the end of the cost sharing subsidies:

"Based on guidance from the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services has concluded that there is no appropriation for cost-sharing reduction payments to insurance companies under Obamacare," the White House said in a statement.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you look closely at Form 8962 (the ACA subsidy form), you will see that there are several factors which determine one's subsidy, and some may take precedence over others. For me, and YMMV, the premium I pay has no influence on the subsidy. What does determine it are two things: (1) the 9.6% of MAGI and (2) the SLCSP, or Second Lowest Cost Silver Plan.

I wish I could get the SLCSP before I get Form 1095-A in the mail from my state's Marketplace, so I could do some tax planning before next January. I thought this figure would be well known in advance. I called my state Marketplace and asked them but they didn't know yet, maybe in late December or early January before they compile the 1095 form.

As for the CSRs, I am curious as to how the insurance companies spread out the rate increase to cover this shortfall. Is it across all Silver plans, across all plans, across all plans which qualify for a subsidy? hmmmm.....

EDIT: Golden Sunset seems to have answered my question.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Here is the EO but I think it only covers the cross state association plans. I think the decision not to extend cost sharing supplements is just that - a decision, no EO required. NBC and others are saying that the WH announced the end of the cost sharing subsidies:

"Based on guidance from the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services has concluded that there is no appropriation for cost-sharing reduction payments to insurance companies under Obamacare," the White House said in a statement.
Thanks for the links.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Administrator

An executive order was signed announcing some changes to the ACA. These cover three areas; association plans, short term plans, and employer health reimbursement arrangements. There have been subsequent media reports regarding Cost Sharing Subsidies. More announcements are likely.

In order to understand how these measures will impact us we need to know how and when they will be implemented. None of those details have been released or communicated. We look forward to detailed thread discussions on changes to the CSR, association plans, short term plans, and health reimbursement arrangements once operational details are published.

Edit to add
When this topic was first introduced no details were available, we assumed there would be additional announcements or instructions. This is not the case. So, we can proceed with forum discussion in this new thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1949834
Closed Thread