Join Early Retirement Today

ACA Enrollment Questions
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA Enrollment Questions

I have posted the following questions on other ACA threads, but I have not received any definite answers so decided to try here.

1) What does "multi-state" mean? We travel a lot out of state in our motorhome, but only have one home address.

2) When I first enrolled for my wife and myself it was showing me quotes for the two of us. Now it only shows one quote for myself, even though it shows us both on the applications. What happens if I proceed only with my quote to the end of the enrollment? Will it then show me her quotes?

I don't want to make the mistake of only signing up for myself only. Some responses has been to just make a new application. Before I could not do that without setting up a completely new account. This morning (I check early each morning) it now gives an option to delete the approved application and start another one.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

1) What does "multi-state" mean? We travel a lot out of state in our motorhome, but only have one home address.
Lots of discussions about the need for national healthcare coverage and multi-state plans. Here are a couple of links that may help, many other helpful posts throughout the active healthcare threads.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-69001.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...per-68609.html

Multi-state plans home page Multi-State Plan Program and the Health Insurance Marketplace
FAQ OPM Multi-State Plan Program Fact Sheet
Excellent summary white paper http://www.healthreformgps.org/wp-co...9C65680B79.pdf
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This morning (I check early each morning) it now gives an option to delete the approved application and start another one.
This is the first time I have seen mention of this option. We are going to re-try a new account for our single daughter that is approved but we think has a mistake in it (other thread). At what point in your process were you given this option, may I ask?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
This is the first time I have seen mention of this option. We are going to re-try a new account for our single daughter that is approved but we think has a mistake in it (other thread). At what point in your process were you given this option, may I ask?
It came up right after I logged in where it shows the application number and was right below the application number.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It came up right after I logged in where it shows the application number and was right below the application number.
Thanks!

I see a "Remove" button below and to the right of the application number. Is this what you hit to delete the existing application? (asking this to be clear because there is no going back)
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, you're now given an option to remove applications. Did it, went through enrollment again, now I see plans with cost sharing.

There still appears to be an issue with my newest application(big orange box), but the site says my next step is to enroll. I might call the 800 number, but I need patience to deal with those fine folks.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Thanks!

I see a "Remove" button below and to the right of the application number. Is this what you hit to delete the existing application? (asking this to be clear because there is no going back)
Yes that's what I just did.

Best wishes,
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I used the new "Remove" button today as well. The good news is that I kept my login, password, email address, contact information, and my previous verification of identity carried over.

Unfortunately, I still seem to be stuck at "Create new group" under the "Recommended health plan groups" step so that my wife and I can be on separate plans instead of a family plan. For the past week that step has been generating an error message quickly.

This morning with the old application I was instead blocked by a "Please wait" busy popup. When a "Your session is about to expire" popup appeared, I let the session time out. Then logged in and removed my application.

After eating breakfast I started a "new" application. Today's "new" application did require entering yet again who was going to be covered including names, birthdates, SS numbers, address, and ethnicity information. I once again made it past tobacco usage, then got stuck at the "Please wait" busy popup when I tried to "Create new group." I've now told the "Your session is about to expire" popup to extend my session for 30 minutes three times. I'm just about ready to give up for today.
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Great on the new "remove" button. I will try it early tomorrow morning when there is less traffic. I am always up around 5 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The plans that I have been looking all are BCBS and are "multi-state" plans, so I will stick with one of them.

I still need to know the procedure for agreeing and proceeding with a policy that has the quote for only myself. Will the DW's option come up after that? Again I don't want to agree to something then find out it was for only me.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
I once again made it past tobacco usage, then got stuck at the "Please wait" busy popup when I tried to "Create new group." I've now told the "Your session is about to expire" popup to extend my session for 30 minutes three times. I'm just about ready to give up for today.
Tried again today, then spent some time with the nice lady on the 800 number. The answer given was that it is a technical issue. I will have to wait until it is fixed. So try again periodically during off-peak times.

So if/when any other married couple manages to get two individual policies under one application via the exchange, I would like to know about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yet more security concerns...

No security ever built into Obamacare site: Hacker
Malcolm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I went through the process of removing my original application and started a new one. This time it kept the DW and myself in a group. I went all the way through and enrolled into the health plan we choose plus picked up a dental plan. The dental plan was a surprise for us. My new premium including the dental will be $166 cheaper each month and we have better insurance coverage.

Of course I could not pay for anything being there is no way to pay yet. There was a notice that the "plan" will contact us in a few days.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I noticed this footnote in an Anthem Blue Cross California brochure describing the plans certified by Covered CA.

Quote:
Multi-State Plans are overseen by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and are similar to the other Qualified Health Plan products offered on the exchanges. Generally, all of the same requirements that apply to other products also apply to these Multi-State Plan products. The name “Multi-State Plan” does NOT mean that consumers have health plan
coverage for non-urgent care in multiple states.
Emphasis is mine.
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The saga continues as I keep attempting to "Create new group" under the "Recommended health plan groups" step so that my wife and I can be on separate plans instead of a family plan.

For the week of Thanksgiving, that step was quickly generating the error message:

Quote:
There's no eligible plan. Please try again. If you continue getting this message, call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325.

Error ID:500.301524
Starting December 1st, 2013 instead I was blocked by a "Please wait" busy popup. No matter how many times I extended the session when "Your session is about to expire" popups appeared the application did not go anywhere. I've been checking daily, and seeing the same behavior.

Today instead I'm quickly getting the error message:

Quote:
Sorry, an error has occurred. Please try again. If that doesn't work, log out and wait 30 minutes then try again.

Error ID:500.301524
I tried removing my application, waiting more than 30 minutes, then starting over, but I am still getting the same error message.

So as I continue tilting at healthcare.gov windmills, I'll also repeat my request.

Quote:
if/when any other married couple manages to get two individual policies under one application via the exchange, I would like to know about it.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Being I have not been contacted yet I will call them on Monday (fingers crossed).
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The saga continues as I keep attempting to "Create new group" under the "Recommended health plan groups" step so that my wife and I can be on separate plans instead of a family plan.
This morning I still could not separate us into two groups, so I gave up and decided to just get a family plan. In the process of downloading the updated versions of documents such as the summary plan description, I found that the documentation now indicates both individual and family deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums. Previously the plan I wanted showed only a FAMILY deductible and a FAMILY out-of-pocket maximum, which is why I wanted two individual plans so that we would have lower individual deductibles.

I don't know if I entirely trust the updated summary plan description, but once I accepted the default grouping enrollment was trivial.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the back-end works, and my new insurance company bills me!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

On billing - once you have your group and member ID from your insurer you may be able to register online and pay online.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I called BCBSLA and was told where to send my initial payment. They would then send me the cards, etc. They apparently had the info being she knew what the cost was after I gave her the application ID number.

I picked Humana for the dental and they sent me an email telling me how to register and setup my payment plan.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:

For the week of Thanksgiving, that step was quickly generating the error message:

Starting December 1st, 2013 instead I was blocked by a "Please wait" busy popup. No matter how many times I extended the session when "Your session is about to expire" popups appeared the application did not go anywhere. I've been checking daily, and seeing the same behavior.

Today instead I'm quickly getting the error message:

I tried removing my application, waiting more than 30 minutes, then starting over, but I am still getting the same error message.

So as I continue tilting at healthcare.gov windmills, I'll also repeat my request.
Exact same error code and section of the site for me. Also deleted the profile, recreated, used different browsers and incognito sessions, and so on, to no avail. Only difference is that I was trying to combine groups rather than create a new one. So it seems that the ability to change groups is all together broken. Worse, asking a rep to help fix it was useless, as they get the same error. I had a supervisor create a ticket for their support team, and she claimed they ar knocking out errors rapidly, but I'm not holding my breath.

As the only way to get the credit/subsidy is to apply through the govt (can't do it through your insurance company), I'm stuck because the credits aren't applied properly unless I can combine my family into one group.

Please post if you make any progress on this issue, and I'll do the same.
Fargus is offline   Reply With Quote