Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One thing that may help a bit. This is a listing of each plan offered in the federal exchanges. No plan details, and the pricing is just for a couple of clip levels, but for Florida it helped locate plan details and pricing info at the insurers websites. https://www.healthcare.gov/health-plan-information/

If course, if your objective is to get subsidized coverage on the exchange you will have fewer choices.
Helps but my situation is pretty complicated. As a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe I've read that we'll have income low enough that I should qualify for any Exchange plan (even a Bronze one) with *no* cost sharing (copays or deductible) on me. That should make it even more attractive to go that route but I don't want to assume that and be wrong before I can *confirm* it through the Exchange itself.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

THANK YOU, MichaelB. for this link https://www.healthcare.gov/health-plan-information/

This is some of the information I've been looking for and been unable to find because all I get from www.healthcare.gov is blank pages and messages to try to login later. I've filtered it for my state and county and downloaded the file.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #443
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Helps but my situation is pretty complicated. As a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe I've read that we'll have income low enough that I should qualify for any Exchange plan (even a Bronze one) with *no* cost sharing (copays or deductible) on me. That should make it even more attractive to go that route but I don't want to assume that and be wrong before I can *confirm* it through the Exchange itself.
Enrolled tribal members and their dependents are exempt from the ACA's Individual Mandate, as you may know.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Enrolled tribal members and their dependents are exempt from the ACA's Individual Mandate, as you may know.
Yes, that I know, but I'm not going to go uninsured so it's irrelevant to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #445

There were posts a couple of months ago about ehealthinsurance.com being authorized to serve as an alternative to healthcare.gov for plan shopping.

The web site was accessible early this morning (Oct. 3). Just a few fields were needed to get a subsidy estimate, with no special log-in steps.

Unfortunately, their site is not fully operational, either. Only off-exchange, non-subsidized plans are available to review.

Quote:
We can notify you when the new 2014 health plans (to which you can apply your subsidy) become available.

Or, you can shop from our vast selection of other 2014 health plans. These other plans can't be purchased with government subsidy, but they do provide guaranteed health coverage, help you avoid the tax penalty, and are available for enrollment right now.
You can sign up for an email notification.

Quote:

We'll let you know when you can apply for a subsidy through eHealth.

Provide the information below and we'll contact you when the Texas health plans toward which you can apply a subsidy become available on eHealth.

We'll also email you our free, helpful ebook, 5 Steps to Understanding Obamacare.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
There were posts a couple of months ago about ehealthinsurance.com being authorized to serve as an alternative to healthcare.gov for plan shopping.
+1 Bravo!

The ehealthinsurance site is fully functional for me. I wouldn't qualify for the subsidy in year 1 anyway but it supposedly can be applied for on the site. It has four "bronze" plans effective 1/1/2014 for us under $1000. The cheapest is $733 (catastrophic BCBS HMO) and has my doctor in it. I haven't bothered looking up DWs. More research will be needed to confirm which would be the best buy for us.

The options available are about 80% of the cost of the current Texas High Risk Plan. The deductible is somewhat lower. Since I had heard that this plan reguarly lost a little money for the insurers each year, it reaffirms the presumption that the young and healthy are supporting the old and sick.

As I expected, going "gold" raises the premium by about the amount of the reduced deductible. I'd have to look much closer to see if there are other benefits.

One negative is that only BCBS and Cigna are on the site. That's hardly enhanced competition.

P.S. - These "bronze" plans are less than what my Cobra would be although there is a higher deductible.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason, the only carrier listed on ehealthinsursnce.com in my county is Cigna even though five different companies are selling through the exchanges. For me (age 60), their least expensive option is just over $1100 per month. I will qualify for subsidies so I guess I need to use the exchange .... But even if not, this is still more than $800 per month less than I'm currently paying for "Golden Rule" coverage (which was the lowest cost policy that I could find earlier this year).
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post

The web site was accessible early this morning (Oct. 3). Just a few fields were needed to get a subsidy estimate, with no special log-in steps.
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that the Feds just didn't contract with someone like ehealth to run the web side of things, it was already up and running.

For me it finds no 2014 plans. The estimate in the calculator is way off from the others.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that the Feds just didn't contract with someone like ehealth to run the web side of things, it was already up and running.

For me it finds no 2014 plans. The estimate in the calculator is way off from the others.
Sorry about no plans for you. Check back later and wait for your exchange to start working.

The feds were actually aggressively wanting to cut the commercial insurance sites out of their plans because those evil entities made a profit from the fees they charge. They only relented when they finally realized a bizaro beauracracy can't create the functionality in a few months that has evolved over many years in the private sector.

I never understood why any state would spend the money to create their own exchange when the feds could so easily be made responsible. We now have about 16 states pouring money into a bottomless hole when ehealthinsurance.com can do it for them for what is probably a very small fee.

One BIL works for a state agency tied to the ACA. I won't be specific for reasons that should be apparent. The state had a grant from the feds but it was effectively pissed away by endless studies. The state reluctantly ponied up a bit more money. When the decision was finally made to start work, most of the time and almost all of the money was gone. As we all know, the time is now. They weren't ready and it will be a giant mess for several more months. Lots more state money has been thrown at the problem. It's probably not too late to call ehealthinsurance but I'm sure they won't. If they did, poor BIL would be out of work again.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #450
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
+1 Bravo!

The ehealthinsurance site is fully functional for me. I wouldn't qualify for the subsidy in year 1 anyway but it supposedly can be applied for on the site. It has four "bronze" plans effective 1/1/2014 for us under $1000. The cheapest is $733 (catastrophic BCBS HMO) and has my doctor in it. I haven't bothered looking up DWs. More research will be needed to confirm which would be the best buy for us.

The options available are about 80% of the cost of the current Texas High Risk Plan. The deductible is somewhat lower. Since I had heard that this plan reguarly lost a little money for the insurers each year, it reaffirms the presumption that the young and healthy are supporting the old and sick.

As I expected, going "gold" raises the premium by about the amount of the reduced deductible. I'd have to look much closer to see if there are other benefits.

One negative is that only BCBS and Cigna are on the site. That's hardly enhanced competition.

P.S. - These "bronze" plans are less than what my Cobra would be although there is a higher deductible.
Your presumption is correct based on a news segment I listened to yesterday. According to this person he said old people consume 7X the medical costs as young people but rates are capped at 3X. Since my "young people" days are way behind me, I personally will not find this pricing scheme offensive. Especially since my rates are already jumping over 3x what I am currently paying.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #451

Quote:
"Abend"... there's an old word from my mainframe programming days!

The *one* time I was able to get through it asked me security questions and asked me three that were relevant (and I knew the answers to) and bizarre fourth one, claiming that I had taken out a veterinary care insurance plan in the last two years, and asked for the name of the pet. Uh, no. I never bought one of those. So I entered "none of the above" and I failed my own identity test.

And the thing is, the church council is holding a special meeting on October 8 to discuss what health insurance, if any, it will offer to us. (The churchwide insurance plan requires them to decide by October 14.) We decided to wait until after the exchanges were open so we could see all the plans there, figure out cost and coverage there, and see if we'd be better off if they elected not to offer us insurance (and instead give us some grossed-up cash to pay the approximate subsidized premium and the loss of some subsidy and tax breaks from the extra cash).

But if we can't get in to look at the possibilities, we're pretty much stuck and we have to commit to an uninformed decision one way or another (which could cost us a lot more than is necessary in direct premium costs or reduced salary). So yes, I'm a little irritated when some people say "you have until December 15, there's no rush!" No, for us, there pretty much *is*.
I haven't been able to get to the point where I can see rates on Healthcare.gov but I saw some good info on the Tampa Bay Times website. You may be able to see rates for your area somewhere other than the Exchange. I'm thinking about calling my broker to ask him what he knows about the availability of pricing data. I might even try the Humana website.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #452
Recycles dryer sheets

I was finally able to get on our (independent) state exchange last night and actually shop for plans - and again today.

However, when I called to ask a question the message said that I cannot purchase a plan online yet due to 'technical difficulties.' They will mail me a paper application.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
One BIL works for a state agency tied to the ACA. I won't be specific for reasons that should be apparent. The state had a grant from the feds but it was effectively pissed away by endless studies. The state reluctantly ponied up a bit more money. When the decision was finally made to start work, most of the time and almost all of the money was gone. As we all know, the time is now. They weren't ready and it will be a giant mess for several more months. Lots more state money has been thrown at the problem.
I also won't be specific for reasons that have been made clear in messages I posted previously. There are a number of ways that lead to delays and low quality in what is delivered. One of the most common is the practice of low-balling budget estimates to get time and materials contracts, and crafting the terms and conditions to ensure the project can skate by without penalty when the project schedule isn't met by shifting the blame on the customer that refuses to increase funding.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #454
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

+1 no plans for me either
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #455
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
THANK YOU, MichaelB. for this link https://www.healthcare.gov/health-plan-information/

This is some of the information I've been looking for and been unable to find because all I get from www.healthcare.gov is blank pages and messages to try to login later. I've filtered it for my state and county and downloaded the file.
+ AND thank you Sue J for mentioning the filtering options . I was so excited to see the information I did not see the filtering option at first.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #456
Give me a forum ...

ehealthinsurance.com must be over loaded too. Site comes up but can't get past the first page. Think I will just wait and see what BCBS gives me on my annual renewal info. Should be coming soon anyway.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #457
Give me a forum ...

99% of Obamacare applications hit a wall

Quote:
It's a batting average that won't land the federal marketplace for Obamacare into the Healthcare Hall of Fame.
As few as 1 in 100 applications on the federal exchange contains enough information to enroll the applicant in a plan, several insurance industry sources told CNBC on Friday. Some of the problems involve how the exchange's software collects and verifies an applicant's data.

"It is extraordinary that these systems weren't ready," said Sumit Nijhawan, CEO of Infogix, which handles data integrity issues for major insurers including WellPoint and Cigna, as well as multiple Blue Cross Blue Shield affiliates.

I'd be shocked if my application was in the 1% of the 99% since no error checking was performed on the Hawaii website.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

I get a kick (well maybe not that funny for some ), that at the healthcare.gov site when the wait message is shown, a part says if you want a quicker turn around to call a number. Everything old is new again.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I get a kick (well maybe not that funny for some ), that at the healthcare.gov site when the wait message is shown, a part says if you want a quicker turn around to call a number. Everything old is new again.
And if they come back and say you'll get the fastest response by snail mail, you'll know we've completed the 180....

Old 10-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #460
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And if they come back and say you'll get the fastest response by snail mail, you'll know we've completed the 180....
Attached Images
File Type: gif 9y9uk.gif (8.9 KB, 144 views)