Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes: The federal government is demonstrably more trustworthy with regard to these things than many of the state governments. I believe you'd acknowledge that if you could look past your desire to frivolously disparage the federal government.
Don't feed the trolls.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't feed the trolls.
My apologies. You're correct.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having been subsidized by my DWs employer for the past 27 years, I am surprised at the cost of health insurance. We pay 182 dollars per month for the whole family! Of course, our choices are somewhat limited and wages aren't the best but it's been a good trade off. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it stays the same, otherwise it won't make sense for my wife to continue working and then she'll find out how little I do in any given day!
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #184

Gatordoc50 - she already knows if she's anything like my wife! The $1000 - 1500 per month for Health insurance is what keeps me working - my wife retired 5 years ago.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

This was one of the better calculators that I have seen in that it shows both the gross premium and the net cost after subsidy for various levels of plans at a glance. I believe that the gross premiums are based on the average of the 2014 premiums for the two carriers (BCBS-VT and MVP).

Subsidy Calculator | Vermont Health Connect

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski
This was one of the better calculators that I have seen in that it shows both the gross premium and the net cost after subsidy for various levels of plans at a glance. I believe that the gross premiums are based on the average of the 2014 premiums for the two carriers (BCBS-VT and MVP).

Subsidy Calculator | Vermont Health Connect
All ages pay the same?
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I believe so.

Quote:
BCBSVT developed the table of rates without regard to age, tobacco use or geographic area, as required under the Vermont community rating law, and so the requirements listed in 45 CFR 154.301(a)(4)(v) and (xiv) do not apply.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #188

I found an article in the Fort Wayne News Sentinel with at least a glimpse of Indiana Exchange Pricing, a 21 year old on the silver plan is 214 a month and a 55 year old couple with 3 kids under 20 would pay 1362 a month, both are for non smokers.
Here is a link to the article:
New PHP premiums show price of Obamacare | FortWayne.com - Fort Wayne IN
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Another Delay
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Delay

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/us...Y&ei=5065&_r=0

Quote:
WASHINGTON — In another setback for President Obama’s health care initiative, the administration has delayed until 2015 a significant consumer protection in the law that limits how much people may have to spend on their own health care.
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #190
Give me a forum ...

From the link posted by alask55:
Quote:
The limit on out-of-pocket costs, including deductibles and co-payments, was not supposed to exceed $6,350 for an individual and $12,700 for a family. But under a little-noticed ruling, federal officials have granted a one-year grace period to some insurers, allowing them to set higher limits, or no limit at all on some costs, in 2014.
It appears to be an exception for group plans, it might not affect the "exchanges."

Hopefully, employers (or the health insurers they contract with) will at least be required to notify employees that they won't have the caps that were supposedly going to be in place.

I'm surprised that there's so much "flexibility" concerning the when and how of implementation of legislation that contains some pretty hard dates. Maybe there's a branch of government empowered to either make the legislation match the reality or make reality match the legislation.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

I wish they would leave it alone and concentrate on making it better. I vote for single payer.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #192
Administrator

Daily reminder to keep the thread focused on the PPACA please. It's really not that difficult.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Some perspective on cost comparisons
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #193

Some perspective on cost comparisons

This article succinctly lists several points made here by various posters.

ObamaCare's effects difficult to measure: Column

• there is a tendency to conflate premiums for insurance purchased on ObamaCare's new exchanges with those in the private market.
  • the impact of the Affordable Care Act varies widely for different subsets of the population.
  • the estimated cost of purchasing insurance on the exchanges depends greatly on whether you take into account the federal subsidies that many people will receive.
  • whether premiums appear attractive depends on what you compare them with.
  • the effect of the exchanges depends on how you compare premiums. [average vs. average, lowest vs. lowest, etc.]
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #194
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post

This link is an announcement that group plans with different managers for major medical and pharmacy benefits are allowed an extension of one more year to combine total out of pockets for each into one single amount. In the meantime they can continue with each counted separately and subject to current (2013) limits, which may be greater than the upper limit established by the PPACA.

No effect on policies sourced from the state health exchanges. This will impact employees with group coverage that were expecting to see a cap and possibly a reduction on their total out of pocket, and the immediate effect would be on people with very high drug bills.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #195

Employees at our company were told today that our benefits would renew effective 12/1/2013 as opposed to 1/1/2014. That gives the company 11 more months to avoid ACA.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

and 11 more months to figure out how they want to deal with ACA. Sounds like a smart business move to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #197

I am not clear on how the enrollment periods will work. Initially, open enrollment is October 1, 2013 until March 31, 2014. How does one enroll after that? Will there be annual open enrollment times, or does there need to be an 'event" (i.e. - current healthcare insurance lost, divorce, etc.) to enroll?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I am not clear on how the enrollment periods will work. Initially, open enrollment is October 1, 2013 until March 31, 2014. How does one enroll after that? Will there be annual open enrollment times, or does there need to be an 'event" (i.e. - current healthcare insurance lost, divorce, etc.) to enroll?
The ehealthinsurance.com folks have put together a couple of good pages on this.

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/aff...tdown-step-5-2

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/aff...ent-the-basics

There will be annual open enrollment periods, in the last quarter of each year, and 'events' like losing group coverage from a job will also allow enrollment.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #199

So if I already have a policy (and either it's grandfathered in or it will compliant starting next year), then I still qualify for the subsidy and can skip the exchange process, yes?
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
So if I already have a policy (and either it's grandfathered in or it will compliant starting next year), then I still qualify for the subsidy and can skip the exchange process, yes?
TJ
Yes, sort of. You would receive the subsidy as a tax credit on filing your 2014 individual income tax return if eligible (Modified adjusted gross income low enough, and a subsidy-qualified plan.) In order to get the advance subsidy paid to your insurer, you would need to go through the exchange program.

(This MIGHT wind up varying from state to state depending on state insurance rules. California requires going through the exchange.)

My HMO provider has arranged to automatically flip me to a compliant plan. Their literature lays out how I can also go to the state exchange, and apply for the same or a different plan and get the subsidy. They'll know I'm already an HMO member and will just treat it as a continuation of coverage on the selected policy.

The online signup process is very simple. On the first screen you set up a user account. This is similar to setting up an E-R.org account. The second screen presents a bunch of privacy related information, because the online app will be sending parts of your information to the tax folk's server to do income verification. Click "Agree" just liek in iTunes... Next you have to tell the app who is to be covered. Finally, you tell the app your adjusted gross income (the prototype presents the number from the tax folks and lets you disagree if needed), and whether you have employer coverage. Then you 'electronically sign' the document (check the little box), and you're done.

(I'm sure they'll find something to change. Heck, they've got two whole months to diddle around with it...)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote