ACA Federal Marketplace updates

The option for insurance for "Only You" gets you a drop down box for 49 and under or 50 and older. Not much help but it's more info than they offered before.

I don't blame you for being moody over this. I have been dealing with all these unknowns and a 10-31-13 time limit for our only other option of health care insurance (DH's very expensive retiree plan) by myself since DH has no interest or desire to know about these things.

So yesterday I asked him if I could have 20 minutes of his time to explain what I've learned and where we stand and what the issues are. Things like insurance options, spreadsheets, costs and impact to our monthly expenses make him uncomfortable and itchy so I need to keep it all direct and compact. He sat through the whole explanation and understood where we're at and why I'm antsy about it. We still can't DO anything until HealthCare.gov gets it's act together but he agreed with my approach and the contingency plan.

I felt better just sharing it with him rather than having the entire burden on my mind.

Not only that, but it gives you "catastrophic plan" quotes for 50 year olds..what the heck is that about? They are not even allowed to be bought except for the under 30 crowd. Come on government, you can surely do better than that!

The catastrophic plans are available for people over 30 under some conditions, https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-buy-a-catastrophic-plan/

Thanks Rbmrtn, I did not know that...and I wish I didn't to be honest with you and that is just another kick in my groin. Why can't I have one of those, that is what I want. Oh wait, I know why because the government thinks I need prenatal care and drug rehab instead of a policy that suites my personal needs... :)

Thanks Rbmrtn, I did not know that...and I wish I didn't to be honest with you and that is just another kick in my groin. Why can't I have one of those, that is what I want. Oh wait, I know why because the government thinks I need prenatal care and drug rehab instead of a policy that suites my personal needs... :)

I think the catastrophic plans must provide "minimum essential coverage" ie, prenatal care and drug rehab. In my case, they still cost "double" what I pay now for coverage that more suits me.

I think the catastrophic plans must provide "minimum essential coverage" ie, prenatal care and drug rehab. In my case, they still cost "double" what I pay now for coverage that more suits me.

I feel your pain. I'm going to pay triple once I lose my plan next year.

Finally looks like someone was able to get through the healthcare.gov application process to shop for a Plan :clap:

BTW- blogger does not claim to have found a better rate after ACA in his region, just that his Exchange rate (he looks young in his pic) would be lower than national ave of employer-sponsored plans. But we all know how hard it is to directly compare HI's, & some important details were not given. Pre-ACA, often similar savings (sometimes more) could be had by switching from PPO to HMO.

Finally looks like someone was able to get through the healthcare.gov application process to shop for a Plan :clap: BTW- blogger does not claim to have found a better rate after ACA in his region, just that his Exchange rate (he looks young in his pic) would be lower than national ave of employer-sponsored plans. But we all know how hard it is to directly compare HI's, & some important details were not given. Pre-ACA, often similar savings (sometimes more) could be had by switching from PPO to HMO.

Because or DW having had stage 1 breast cancer in 2003, I am getting quoted (before subsidy) health coverage that is better than I currently have at a rate more than $700 lower than my current premium. After subsidy, I will be more than $1600 per month lower.

Yes, I know, "someone" out there is going to have to pay more because of this.

not sure where to put this .

I was able to submit an application a week ago but am working on Identity verification . (Divers licence scan ) I heard nothing all week. So today I went through the whole application and downloaded the scan again.

Surprise ! I actually got an email telling me to go to the marketplace for a message . Message said I needed to send in ID stuff by snail mail or download. AGGH I did twice already.

So I decided to brave the online chat. Long story short , was told I needed to have my ID # with the download . I checked it said nothing about that at the link that tells you what size and type of file to download - I assumed (Wrongly ) that as I was signed in to a "secure account submitting an application the downloaded info would be attached to the application !

Altered the scan to include ID # on the scan - labeled as such , and put ID # in the name of the downloaded file . Hope that works .

My advice if you download ID paperwork - Include your ID # . Also Explorer and Safari works better for signing on than Chrome.

So one of the things they're talking about is that the ACA administrators may have to certify that they've verified incomes of those receiving subsidies.

That would be one of a costs of ending the govt. shutdown and raising the debt ceiling.

I guess HHS would be subject to investigation by Congress if they certified that they verified income and they found cases where they did not.

But the proposal comes from opponents of the ACA so the ultimate result may be that it's more difficult to get subsidies.

So one of the things they're talking about is that the ACA administrators may have to certify that they've verified incomes of those receiving subsidies. That would be one of a costs of ending the govt. shutdown and raising the debt ceiling. I guess HHS would be subject to investigation by Congress if they certified that they verified income and they found cases where they did not. But the proposal comes from opponents of the ACA so the ultimate result may be that it's more difficult to get subsidies.

I'm not sure how income could be really "verified" up front.,..especially for an early retiree. What if someone is retiring on December 31st? Their income for the next year is going to be much lower. Besides, the IRS will be "verifying" everything when returns are filed for the year....but of course, that's post subsidy.

Seems that the verification argument is nothing more than another effort to slow down the process and make it impossible to have people enrolled by January 1st. Lord knows, the system is already overwhelmed.....can't imagine the process that'd take to verify incomes which, likely, would require manual input for every single application.

So one of the things they're talking about is that the ACA administrators may have to certify that they've verified incomes of those receiving subsidies.

That would be one of a costs of ending the govt. shutdown and raising the debt ceiling.

I guess HHS would be subject to investigation by Congress if they certified that they verified income and they found cases where they did not.

But the proposal comes from opponents of the ACA so the ultimate result may be that it's more difficult to get subsidies.

I hope they do install a mechanism that better prevents people who do not qualify for subsidies from getting them. If they don't it will in the long run make it more expensive for everyone.

Although it will make things more difficult for us . (Our 2014 MAGI will be a fraction of our 2012 MAGI- so we will have to wait for reimbursement or jump through hoops to verify.) I understand and support them at least trying to get an estimate of future income before handing out subsidies.

As the subsidies are used to make things "affordable " they kinda need to be available up front for most folks. Without some attempt at verification it would be a nightmare trying to claw back overpaid subsidies . It will be bad enough as it is . They are already saying there is a limit to the amount you would have to pay back - depending on how much you were over subsidized and your true income for the year of the subsidy.

Anyone know if they also intend to try to get money back if you sign up assuming a FPL below 250% and get support for the reduced deductible that you in hindsight did not qualify for ? Or what if you assume a FPL of 350 % , so do not qualify for the reduced deductible . Then a big illness happens, you hit the $12,700 max and your income drops to the area where you qualify for the reduced deductible ? Can you get the difference when you later file taxes?

Interesting thing I see - perhaps by design ? In Our age/location ( regardless of income ) bracket our benchmark silver second lowest priced plan is the same price as the lowest priced plan, so our subsidy is tied to that. Now the third lowest takes a big jump up . If they had treated the tie as one choice and used the next price up the ladder our subsidy would be much larger.

What I am seeing -

unsubsidized premiums ....28 choices total - mostly higher in a narrow range

lowest - $459
2nd lowest -$459
3rd lowest -$626
-
-
Highest -$778

Anyone else seeing this ?

BCBS letter

Just got a letter from BCBS telling me my policy will no longer be available, non compliance with ACA. I'm 58 healthy no meds 5' 7" 145lbs semi-retired work out 5 0r 6 days a week. My current premium is $135 with a $5000 oop. Now it will be more than $400 with a 6350 oop. They also tell me I now have maternity and newborn care,mental health, substance abuse coverage and to top it off pediatric dental and vision care. ITS ALL BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got a letter from BCBS telling me my policy will no longer be available, non compliance with ACA. I'm 58 healthy no meds 5' 7" 145lbs semi-retired work out 5 0r 6 days a week. My current premium is $135 with a $5000 oop. Now it will be more than $400 with a 6350 oop. They also tell me I now have maternity and newborn care,mental health, substance abuse coverage and to top it off pediatric dental and vision care. ITS ALL BULL****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will it also pay for the sex change to access these wonderful benefits? :). You are in same boat as I am...At least BCBS sent you a letter they are putting screws to you. I had to interpret "new and exciting plan offerings" as being bent over the barrel. You appear to be a prime candidate to do what I did. Hurry up and get into another underwritten plan that will carry your coverage through December 31, 2014. It gets you one year closer to Medicare, anyways.

Alaska, we may all need substance abuse care, by the time we get coverage:)

MRG

Unless I am misunderstanding what I read, it appears that reasonable procedures are in place as well as a government could reasonably expect to do... I wonder what more could be beneficial then.
When I did the Q&A, they had a question about allowing them to verify your income, I answer yes not because I trust the them, but figure they had my info already and maybe it would expedite the process, my application was pending last I was able to check, today I logged in and had no content, banner was there, just no content.

Unless I am misunderstanding what I read, it appears that reasonable procedures are in place as well as a government could reasonably expect to do... I wonder what more could be beneficial then.

Nope, you are correct. The verification is already there. Another myth that doesn't go away

Blunt Wrong on Income Verification

Also remember you don't get the subsidy, your insurance carrier does; But you are responsible for paying it back.

Hurry up and get into another underwritten plan that will carry your coverage through December 31, 2014. It gets you one year closer to Medicare, anyways.
Anthem says they are sending out an endorsement option to allow me to keep my existing policy through the end of 2014 as well. Wasn't sure if this was standard or not. I'm going to take them up on it because the cheapest exchange option jumps me from $216 to $291, with the deductible doubled. If I control my income next year I could get $30/month off. I'll keep the better, cheaper policy and not worry about the subsidy so that I can convert more of my IRA to a Roth next year. Actually, the $216 will probably go up since I usually get the rate increase in Feb.

As I get closer to 65 and rates go up, I'll start trying to use the subsidy. So the plan would be to take more income now, namely Roth conversions and possibly some cap gains, while I'm not getting a subsidy. Of course, the subsidy or even ACA may not last that long, so it's not clear what the best strategy is.

It is interesting that I was able to get quotes from esurance.com in less than 5 minutes but cannot get anything from the gvmt website...

I will probably go onto cobra for the time being and hope that the site gets fixed soon....

It is interesting that I was able to get quotes from esurance.com in less than 5 minutes but cannot get anything from the gvmt website...

I will probably go onto cobra for the time being and hope that the site gets fixed soon....

VERY wise move to go COBRA, at least for now. Once you leave COBRA you cannot go back even during your usu eligibility window.

:) ER, that had me laughing but this IS an awake colonoscopy, that will be worse when the subsidies expire for everyone (unless the fed keeps it forever but that won't happen) and the states raise their taxes to pay for the offsets. People get stuck with the full bill as I am now and everyone will be insurance poor. That will be interesting and perhaps when people realize that while change was needed this wasn't well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom