Join Early Retirement Today

ACA Income Criteria
Old 12-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

ACA Income Criteria

Can somebody explain reasons why there is a aca income cliff. For example for a family size of 2's income is over $63,xxx, the subsidy is zero but if slightly under, it's apprx. $300.

Just want to know the logic of this and why it's not a gradual decrease based on income over $63,xxx? Maybe there is no logic.

Also, if one is withdrawing pretax from a 401 k, is there any way of reducing the magi besides hsa contributions and ira contributions?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Can somebody explain reasons why there is a aca income cliff. For example for a family size of 2's income is over $63,xxx, the subsidy is zero but if slightly under, it's apprx. $300.

Just want to know the logic of this and why it's not a gradual decrease based on income over $63,xxx? Maybe there is no logic.
The reason should be obvious: it's a govt. program created by Congress.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

REWahoo, thanks for the response. Anyone else want to chime in?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think there's anybody that likes the cliffs in ACA. It seems like a stupid design that can harshly penalize marginal income.

I suppose the benefits are (1) that it's simpler than a sliding scale and (2) reduces costs by making people over the cliff pay more.

Quote:
Also, if one is withdrawing pretax from a 401 k, is there any way of reducing the magi besides hsa contributions and ira contributions?
Business and capital losses.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For one thing, the ACA as passed was an unfinished product due to peculiarities in our political process that triggered when the majority party lost its filibuster-proof majority before the House and Senate versions could be reconciled. The result is that a lot of the kinks that usually get worked out in conference committee, never made it to conference committee, forcing the Senate to take a simple majority vote on accepting the flawed House version of the bill as is.

The cliffs are one of the things that really need to be fixed about the law. At least our graduated income tax is set up that an additional dollar of income won't cost you more than a dollar in increased tax burden, but go just over one of the ACA cliffs, and that dollar of income could cost you hundreds, even thousands, in increased taxes and/or reduced subsidies.

It has probably given a new growth area for CPAs and tax preparers, though, in terms of helping clients engineer an appropriate income to keep them just below a "cliff".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
REWahoo, thanks for the response. Anyone else want to chime in?
There is no other answer - it's a flawed law with unintended side-effects that are slowly becoming apparent to everyone that either has to pay a penalty or sign up with increasingly reduced coverage every year.

Unfortunately with the current climate meaningful fixes will not be happening.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

WELCOME to government programs.

Actually the answer is EVERY govt subsidy program that I know if is done like this and it is a MAJOR systemic flaw in the way all these programs work, so I wouldn't expect ACA to be an exception. Honestly it is the major reason the poor never get "out". You can't unless you somehow get lucky and are able to "jump the hurdle". If people really want to help, this would be a major change to make in all social programs, a phasing out rather than sharp cutoff. I call it my hand up rather than hand out social change... its a passion project for me.

I mean even something as simple as reduced school lunches, you could get a 10 cent an hour pay increase = $200/year increase and push you over so you are now full price. Full price lunch tickets are almost often $1.50 more pre ticket x say 2 kids or $3/day but your only making 80 cents a day more... so now how do you make up that $2.20 deficit? Even Free to Reduced is usually 40 cents * 2 = 80 cents .. but your 80 cents is taxed so still negative. WELCOME to government programs.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

The ACA cliff is dependent on age, family size, SLCSP, and if premiums are community rated within the state. In general, the subsidy cliff impacts those age 50-64 because their premiums are high. The younger folks with lower premiums have a sliding scale to zero subsidy before the 400% FPL cutoff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA Cliff.jpg (44.0 KB, 13 views)
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote