Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets
shotgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I really want the ACA website and ACA to be successful. But the website is a total mess in my opinion. I used to be a computer programmer and helped create several online systems. Have they not heard of testing? The ACA website appears to not even be tested. It's improving a little each day but still doesn't work. I've had to re-enter some of the same personal information several times...that is if I can even get to those entry screens in the first place. Right now I'm stuck with the identity verification having failed and it seems to stop me from doing anything else. I called Experian last week to verify my identity and now that verification seems to be lost. Today I uploaded my drivers license for the identity verification and I'm still waiting for any response from that. Does anyone know if they actually look at the uploaded data for identity verification?
We are in the same exact position. I uploaded a copy of drivers license last Sunday. My status is sometimes "pending verification" and other times it is "Verification required". However when I click on Verify now it goes to a dark blue screen where I can do nothing.

Since I am buying a Bronze plan I am meeting with my insurance agent next week to buy it through him and I will adjust my withholding to advance myself the tax credit/subsidy for 2014.
__________________

__________________
A surprise outcome for the pessimist is almost always good news.
shotgunner is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #242
Full time employment: Posting here.
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I really want the ACA website and ACA to be successful. But the website is a total mess in my opinion. I used to be a computer programmer and helped create several online systems. Have they not heard of testing? The ACA website appears to not even be tested. It's improving a little each day but still doesn't work. I've had to re-enter some of the same personal information several times...that is if I can even get to those entry screens in the first place. Right now I'm stuck with the identity verification having failed and it seems to stop me from doing anything else. I called Experian last week to verify my identity and now that verification seems to be lost. Today I uploaded my drivers license for the identity verification and I'm still waiting for any response from that. Does anyone know if they actually look at the uploaded data for identity verification?
Agreed. These kinds of errors, like getting data from another user showing up on your screen, your own info disappearing, and getting the wrong screen popping up are exactly the kind of errors you get at the very beginning of unit testing, integration testing, etc.

I plan to use the system to eventually enroll in the ACA. Still waiting a while to see if it starts working properly. Also need to figure out what income to include in 2014 "other" income, to get up to the threshold for eligibility in Pa (no medicaid expansion yet, but talking about it). For 2013 it's $11,490, but what will it be in 2014? I'm afraid to call a navigator since they apparently don't know much, and may misinform me. I may call a health insurance broker who has helped me out before.
Good luck to everyone. These posts are very useful.
__________________

__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #243
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
As I previously mentioned, I seem to have made it to the first stage of enrollment. This happens after the application is accepted. Then a plan is selected and reviewed. At that point, the plan selection step becomes grayed out and says locked. A notice says Congratulations. But it has almost no other information and the enrollment still shows in process. I believe that is because an enrollment is not complete until the first payment has been made.

After a few follow-up calls, now a week later, the insurance company stated they will not be accepting payments for Marketplace plans until November 1. Also my information does not show up at the insurance company as of yet. I should be receiving something in the mail in the next few weeks. This could differ based on insurance companies and states. But it appears if you make it through the application and enrollment process gauntlet, there may be yet another delay due to the insurance companies not being ready. This is probably a consequence of the exchanges themselves not being ready on time.

This also leads me to believe that there are currently zero completed Marketplace enrollments with the largest insurer in my state. Nor will there be until next month at the earliest according to the information given. The reason being that the training materials state that the first payment must be received to complete an enrollment. Applications come before the enrollment process. Once you have a completed application on the Marketplace then you can select a plan. That is starting the Enrollment process. And not all applications or enrollments are completed. So you may hear about thousands of applications, but if used literally that's the phase before enrollment. Enrollment is where you pick the plan, then wait for the insurance company and make the first payment.
__________________
homebody is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
As I previously mentioned, I seem to have made it to the first stage of enrollment. This happens after the application is accepted. Then a plan is selected and reviewed. At that point, the plan selection step becomes grayed out and says locked. A notice says Congratulations. But it has almost no other information and the enrollment still shows in process. I believe that is because an enrollment is not complete until the first payment has been made.

After a few follow-up calls, now a week later, the insurance company stated they will not be accepting payments for Marketplace plans until November 1. Also my information does not show up at the insurance company as of yet. I should be receiving something in the mail in the next few weeks. This could differ based on insurance companies and states. But it appears if you make it through the application and enrollment process gauntlet, there may be yet another delay due to the insurance companies not being ready. This is probably a consequence of the exchanges themselves not being ready on time.

This also leads me to believe that there are currently zero completed Marketplace enrollments with the largest insurer in my state. Nor will there be until next month at the earliest according to the information given. The reason being that the training materials state that the first payment must be received to complete an enrollment. Applications come before the enrollment process. Once you have a completed application on the Marketplace then you can select a plan. That is starting the Enrollment process. And not all applications or enrollments are completed. So you may hear about thousands of applications, but if used literally that's the phase before enrollment. Enrollment is where you pick the plan, then wait for the insurance company and make the first payment.
Thank you for the information! I would love to have a checklist that says clearly what is next. Nothing comes close.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
ehealth may work depending where you are. For me they have none of the exchange plans listed, they don't even display the only carrier offering plans. I used the kaiser calculator for cost guess, use the spreadsheet that was posted earlier to identify the carrier(s) offering plans on my exchange and then go their website to get plan info. Even then it's not certain as the plan info looks more generic but it least has a brochure and benefit summary.

Since I only have one carrier ( which I never heard of ) I guess comparing won't be that hard.
Note that at least in the Case of BCBS Texas their web site makes direct quotes, as well as providing a list of providers. If you know who offers policies in your area, you might be able to go their website directly. (Again they don't handle subsidy cases but)
__________________
meierlde is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #246
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post

Agreed. These kinds of errors, like getting data from another user showing up on your screen, your own info disappearing, and getting the wrong screen popping up are exactly the kind of errors you get at the very beginning of unit testing, integration testing, etc.
John if you or others find my application, please complete it, I'll do the same.

MRG
__________________
MRG is online now  
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #247
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,140
I open 2 accounts now (Florida version) and can't logged on to either one. I tried the link above to see the plans, and all I get is price, no descriptions of what they cover, there is 84 plans but only 2 providers listed. They had 3 years and millions and they came up with a web site I could throw together in about a week. When I go to ehealthinsurance.com to see if they will list plans, I get 0. This is a nightmare, how the heck can I even pick a plan without any info? What a mess. Anybody in Florida have better luck?
__________________
teejayevans is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #248
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake City
Posts: 131
And the frustration increases....

Friday ... I manage to get thru the system and actually enroll. System even shows "identity verified"

Saturday ... Realizing I have nothing to prove anything, I call the 800 # and get verification that I have complete enrollment and that information is being transmitted to the insurer. I'm told to wait until Wednesday and call the insurer to verify coverage.

Wednesday ... Call the insurer - they know "nothing." Recommend I contact the 800 # again to see what's going on.

Thursday ... Try to use the online exchange - profile still shows "identity verified" but other information is now missing and cannot get to the actual application, shows "unexpected error" when trying

Thursday ... Contact the 800 # but this time am told that they can only tell me that the application is in process and cannot give any other information because of "glitches in the system." They do tell me that IF I am enrolled, I will hear from someone either by phone, email, or call within a few weeks.

Friday ... Out do curiosity, try the website again. This time I come face to face with "Invalid password" (and I've been on far enough to know what the password has been all along.) Click on "forgot password" ,.. Got a notification that it will be emailed to me ... And actually pre-fills in the right address .... But, this farm nothing received.

This is nothing short of incredible and I'm starting to think that there are people behind the scenes purposely screwing with us. No one could possibly have actually designed a system like this!
__________________
jflynn4 is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #249
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post

No one could possibly have actually designed a system like this!
On one of my numerous calls when the rep. apologized again for all the system issues, I assured her that I wasn't upset. I did add, 'if I could speak with the folks that engineered this site, the conversation might be different'.

This is 'agile development' just change it if the end users don't like it. Works ok for some applications, not necessarily for sites that millions of folks want to hit now!
__________________
MRG is online now  
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #250
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10,753
Here in AZ without a state exchange, I will need to go to the Fed exchange, but from reading other people's experience here, I have not bothered. It would just clog the system even more.

However, I went to ehealthinsurance.com, and found out good info on plans available to me. After putting in my ZIP code and our birthdate, this Web site popped up 50 plans from 5 insurers for me to chose from. Wow! Are these all plans that I will later find on healthcare.gov? Or will there be even more? Well, there's enough there for me to keep busy looking. There's good detail info on each plan including pricing info, deductibles and copays, etc..., and the only thing missing is the list of participating doctors for each plan or insurer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
When I go to ehealthinsurance.com to see if they will list plans, I get 0. This is a nightmare, how the heck can I even pick a plan without any info? What a mess. Anybody in Florida have better luck?
Out of curiosity, I punched in a ZIP code somewhere in Miami, and the site threw up 11 plans. So, what gives?
__________________
NW-Bound is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #251
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,715
I checked at ehealthinsurance.com and for my zip code they only show 2 insurers with 20 plans. Looking elsewhere I know there are at least 6 insurers with 70 plans for my area so I think it's not the complete picture.
__________________
Married, both 59. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is online now  
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #252
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I checked at ehealthinsurance.com and for my zip code they only show 2 insurers with 20 plans. Looking elsewhere I know there are at least 6 insurers with 70 plans for my area so I think it's not the complete picture.
Same here....I know for a fact we have 2 providers in the exchange in my area but ehealthinsurance is presently only showing one provider's plans.
__________________
Mulligan is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #253
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,410
I thought I remembered reading this a while back. ehealth signed a deal to enroll people in ACA. I wonder whatever became of this, I haven't seen anything since.

Insurance exchange deal signed with Web insurer sites
__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #254
Full time employment: Posting here.
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
John if you or others find my application, please complete it, I'll do the same.

MRG
No problem !
__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #255
Full time employment: Posting here.
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 527
I noticed something interesting in the legalconsumer.com website. It says in order to receive the "cost sharing" subsidy (different from the tax credit subsidy) you need to buy a silver plan (not bronze, not gold, not platinum).
__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #256
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
This is nice...but it doesn't ask ages so bears little relationship to what cost might be for some, particularly for people over 50.
+1

Using CMS HI premium age "curve", nonsmoking 50yo premium will be ~1.8x the example 27yo. And for ER shock, a 64yo's premium will be TWICE that for 50 yo
__________________
ERhoosier is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #257
Recycles dryer sheets
ohyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 449
We plan to get help from our auto/home insurance rep next week. I cannot get far enough on healthcare.gov to get a quote. Because we are leaving town on Oct. 30 (and must have a decision by the end of Oct. for retirement insurance), I am beyond frustrated.

Wish me luck. If our rep cannot give us answers, perhaps he will direct us to somebody who can.

Pessimistically optimistic.
__________________
ohyes is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #258
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I noticed something interesting in the legalconsumer.com website. It says in order to receive the "cost sharing" subsidy (different from the tax credit subsidy) you need to buy a silver plan (not bronze, not gold, not platinum).
Correct. It has to be a silver plan and income less than 250% FPL
__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #259
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I noticed something interesting in the legalconsumer.com website. It says in order to receive the "cost sharing" subsidy (different from the tax credit subsidy) you need to buy a silver plan (not bronze, not gold, not platinum).
I'm still trying to confirm with certainty that this doesn't apply to American Indians below 300% of FPL, who (as far as I can tell) can get any plan offered on the Exchange with no cost sharing at all. If that's the case I can get a Bronze plan for less than $100 a month and no copays or deductibles.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #260
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm still trying to confirm with certainty that this doesn't apply to American Indians below 300% of FPL, who (as far as I can tell) can get any plan offered on the Exchange with no cost sharing at all. If that's the case I can get a Bronze plan for less than $100 a month and no copays or deductibles.
I saw the no cost plan, I was trying to figure out what it was I ran across this

6 Things You Should Know About the Affordable Care Act
__________________

__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Early Retirement News right to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with all the latest news to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]