ACA sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
jflynn4.

Please let us know how that works. Given the limited number of payers in this area, that could be the best choice.

Thanks,

MRG

Yes, someone can buy a subsidized policy directly from the insurer. ..

Not in Vermont. I talked with BCBS today and asked if I could buy directly from them (had previously explained that I was not applying for the subsidy) and they told me I must buy through the exchange (that doesn't work right now).

Just a FYI, using Chrome to submit docs for verification. I could only upload as a PDF file, not JPEG. JPG, upload would not work. It looks like I am able to enroll, even though I have no $ amount for subsidy yet.

For those wanting to browse the plans, I read something on another blog that might work. Seems one of the main bumps is the income verification for subsidy, so start another application without asking for subsidy. They said it went fairly quickly and were able to browse plans. I suppose you could buy as well this way and just take the subsidy as a tax credit at filing time. I may start another application and see what it does.

For those wanting to browse the plans, I read something on another blog that might work. Seems one of the main bumps is the income verification for subsidy, so start another application without asking for subsidy. They said it went fairly quickly and were able to browse plans. I suppose you could buy as well this way and just take the subsidy as a tax credit at filing time. I may start another application and see what it does.
I vaguely remember someone stating that you need to go to web site if your income was below 250% or something to that effect. Anybody know for sure if you can go to insurers directly and get subsidy later...I would not take the insurers word for it.

Just playing around with the TT ACA calculator I first entered a $92K income and was told that I would have about a $1372 monthly payment with no subsidy. "If you choose not to get HI, you would have no penalty"

I then entered the same info with a $59K income and was told I could get HC for $1372 a month and, after subsidy would pay $253. "If you choose not to get HI, your penalty would be $390".

So, if you make $92K there is no penalty for not getting it but if you make $59K and can't come up with the $253, they'll fine you $390? How is that fair?

So, if you make $92K there is no penalty for not getting it but if you make $59K and can't come up with the $253, they'll fine you $390? How is that fair?

Something doesn't seem right with the calculator. The opt out penalty is 1% of income ( or $95). Should be $920 and $590. Does MA have their own penalty calculations ?

This one shows the penalty Healthedeals.com Health Care Reform Calculator

So after an hour at the blue cross office, I come out with the information that unless you enroll thru the exchange, you will not qualify even for a reimbursement of the subsidy amount. HAVE yo use the exchange at some point.

Just playing around with the TT ACA calculator I first entered a $92K income and was told that I would have about a $1372 monthly payment with no subsidy. "If you choose not to get HI, you would have no penalty"

I then entered the same info with a $59K income and was told I could get HC for $1372 a month and, after subsidy would pay $253. "If you choose not to get HI, your penalty would be $390".

There is no penalty if the out of pocket cost of the insurance exceeds 8% of income. In the first case the premiums come to 17% of income, and the second case the premiums are about 5.1% of income. That explains the difference.

Ok ...so I have just successfully navigated all the way thru the exchange, was taken to the insurers website for the selected plan, shown the premium from the insurer that includes a breakdown of actual versus subsidized premium......

Only to have the insurer's site report back "we have experienced an issue with the Enrollment. Please contact a local agent for assistance or continue your enrollment process directly on the Marketplace."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME:confused:??

At least I have an actual application number from the insurer (I was at least smart enough to print that off) ...... Waiting for a call back from the insurers service center now.

Ok ...so I have just successfully navigated all the way thru the exchange, was taken to the insurers website for the selected plan, shown the premium from the insurer that includes a breakdown of actual versus subsidized premium......

Only to have the insurer's site report back "we have experienced an issue with the Enrollment. Please contact a local agent for assistance or continue your enrollment process directly on the Marketplace."

At least I have an actual application number from the insurer (I was at least smart enough to print that off) ...... Waiting for a call back from the insurers service center now.

How did you get by the duplicated data. They haven't called me back, but my duplicated data did show up. It had gone missing 2 business days ago. Is there a way you can delete data now? Did you have to resort to yet another account?

Thanks and good luck,

MRG

Here's a question. It looks like it will be easier given the screwed up system for me to buy a policy for me and then separately buy a policy for DW (separate user id and password for her).

The cost would be the same since the cost for a couple is twice the cost of a single.

Is there any reason not to do this? I had planned to just get a policy covering both of us like we have now but this stoopid system seems to have a problem doing that.

When I called Kaiser they said if I wanted the subsidy I would have to go through Colorado's market place. I am still waiting on PEAK (Medicaid) which we must apply for, to send me a rejection notice so I can finish my ACA enrollment. Applied on 10/3/13. :nonono:

After filling out the info for PEAK (Medicaid) Colorado on 10/3 online I then received a letter yesterday stating I needed to provide proof of citizenship for my two children 15 and 18. So I took their birth certificates to the local Colorado health and human services office, had them make copies (actually they directed me to the copier to make the copies) and stamp verified on them and then I faxed those copies to another office downtown. It took probably about two hours total which wasn't bad, I pity the people who wait too long to go through this process when the lines are out the door. I mentioned to the person helping me about them getting slammed because of ACA and he just held his two fingers to his head and pulled the trigger. :LOL:

Just a FYI, using Chrome to submit docs for verification. I could only upload as a PDF file, not JPEG. JPG, upload would not work. It looks like I am able to enroll, even though I have no $ amount for subsidy yet.

How long did it take to get an 'identity verified' response after you uploaded your docs? I uploaded my docs and it said I would receive an email when my identity was verified but gave no estimate on how long it would take.

How did you get by the duplicated data. They haven't called me back, but my duplicated data did show up. It had gone missing 2 business days ago. Is there a way you can delete data now? Did you have to resort to yet another account? Thanks and good luck, MRG

Actually I didn't. It was recommended that I simply start fresh with a different email address and try again. This time, though, I started each contact on the site with a cleared browser cache (included clearing old cookies, everything). It took a couple hours to get thru it all but between identity verification, eligibility qualifications, and plan choice, I was only dropped out of the system (froze up) a couple times.

We'll see if it holds overnight but at least I now have an application number from the insurer that shows the same exact plan and coverage that the exchange website shows.

(Even this time, the system shows "4" enrollments but with 3 of them auto cancelled).

I was supportive of the premise of Obamacare but now see it as a complete failure. If you can't afford health insurance you certainly can't afford these plans being offered with their insane deductibles. Bronze, Silver and Gold plans? pooh I have talked to many people who are in the late 50 age group and have private insurance. All have told me their premiums will double under the new plan. All have also told me they will not pay and just go without. There comes a time when everyone has to make a life decision. You got to have money to live on and not pay it all to an insurance company. Who ever thought this would work needs their head checked out. Watch and see. These insurance companies will soon go broke or lower their rates. People are just not going to pay what they are saying they will owe. Not going to happen. As for me I will gamble until my wife turns 65 in five months. I refuse to give in and pay these rates. I am also tired and stressed from being on the phone and website trying to get a rate I can afford. Life is just not worth this stress. If my wife gets sick then we will just go broke. I sure am not going to let this stress me and her out another second. I am finished calling and trying to log into a government website that has failed. Back to simple retirement life for me. To heck with all this. We may just move out in the wild until she turns 65. over and out. oldtrig

If you need significant healthcare before Medicare kicks-in, you can take an extended vacation to Panama or another country with reasonably priced world class health care services. You'd not only wind-up paying less (even with travel costs), you'd also get a vacation (if you were not too sick to enjoy it). Tim Ferris has a specific example in 'The Four Hour Body', but in his case he just wanted a bunch of imaging for his "n=1" experiments.

Jflynn4,

Thanks much. I wouldn't have thought of the browser cache, but I'm going to give that a try. Sure beats waiting for a call I know won't happen!

MRG

... why do I have this image in my mind of them (the ACA website developers) laying down track immediately in front of a speeding train ...

I was supportive of the premise of Obamacare but now see it as a complete failure. If you can't afford health insurance you certainly can't afford these plans being offered with their insane deductibles. Bronze, Silver and Gold plans? pooh I have talked to many people who are in the late 50 age group and have private insurance. All have told me their premiums will double under the new plan. All have also told me they will not pay and just go without. There comes a time when everyone has to make a life decision. You got to have money to live on and not pay it all to an insurance company. Who ever thought this would work needs their head checked out. Watch and see. These insurance companies will soon go broke or lower their rates. People are just not going to pay what they are saying they will owe. Not going to happen. As for me I will gamble until my wife turns 65 in five months. I refuse to give in and pay these rates. I am also tired and stressed from being on the phone and website trying to get a rate I can afford. Life is just not worth this stress. If my wife gets sick then we will just go broke. I sure am not going to let this stress me and her out another second. I am finished calling and trying to log into a government website that has failed. Back to simple retirement life for me. To heck with all this. We may just move out in the wild until she turns 65. over and out. oldtrig

+100
Can you imagine what a private company like Apple would face it they had a disaster like this?
Government usually use lowest bidders who cannot make the deadlines, and are not the best for large IT project as we see. Similar to the failed OPM rollout of a new system for processing Federal Retirees about 5 years ago I believe. Same issues but that was quickly taken down. Don't know what happened to it since.
Just not at all ready, quite apparent. What would Apple, Microsoft, Google etc. do?

+100
Can you imagine what a private company like Apple would face it they had a disaster like this?
Government usually use lowest bidders who cannot make the deadlines, and are not the best for large IT project as we see. Similar to the failed OPM rollout of a new system for processing Federal Retirees about 5 years ago I believe. Same issues but that was quickly taken down. Don't know what happened to it since.
Just not at all ready, quite apparent. What would Apple, Microsoft, Google etc. do?

Saw something on the news that the bid was in the $55 mill range with a top of $90ish... I think it showed (and I can be WAY off here as I was not paying attention) that it is almost $200 mill with close to $600mill as a top...

I would think that there could have been a good number of firms who would have done a better job...

As someone sitting on the sidelines with Tricare insurance I am really sorry to see you all going through so much hassle with this.

As someone sitting on the sidelines with Tricare insurance I am really sorry to see you all going through so much hassle with this.

I just hope the government stays out of Tricare.

Your pension is probably also better than SS. Can we open them up to everybody? :)

Last edited:

According to this article the issurers are getting wrong data.. "Emerging errors include duplicate enrollments, spouses reported as children, missing data fields and suspect eligibility determinations"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom