Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #381
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
True, but in our state the cost difference between a couple and family bronze plan exceeds the cost of of a catastrophic plan for a single , so if your kid is healthy I think one might be better off buying a separate catastrophic plan for the kid.
That's a good point.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #382
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What are they asking you to upload?

If you are required to have a scanner and know how to upload scanned images, how the heck are the people that don't have the equipment or the skills going t do this stuff?
When you fill out the application on healthcare.gov they will ask you some questions and try to verify your identity from that. If for some reason that doesn't work then you have to either upload a copy of your ID or call an 800 # (Experian) to get verified over the phone. If you call Experian you need to make sure you write down the reference number that healthcare.gov gives you or Experian won't be able to help you.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #383

I just filled out the application for subsidy. went all the way through no problem. came to the last page that said click to view results. clicked got a blank page. closed the page and signed back on to the site. now it says in progress. did any one else get this? how long did it take for the in progress to determine what you get or to let you know what is going on? I have the application id no. thanks

frank
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #384
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would a credit freeze cause a problem for verification?

-ERD50
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #385
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Would a credit freeze cause a problem for verification?

-ERD50
I suspect not, only because I got through the verification section easily and froze my credit some time ago.

Edit to add: these verification issues are not unlike those I have encountered dealing with Experian while trying to get my free annual report. It has never been resolved (except when using their fee service). Something similar happened to me when trying to set up my SS online account (also Experian), which also never was resolved. In those situations, I suspect the cause is a combination of some bad information on my credit report, no effort on their part to resolve, and also inadequate effort on their part to enable easier identify verification.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #386
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
When you fill out the application on healthcare.gov they will ask you some questions and try to verify your identity from that. If for some reason that doesn't work then you have to either upload a copy of your ID or call an 800 # (Experian) to get verified over the phone. If you call Experian you need to make sure you write down the reference number that healthcare.gov gives you or Experian won't be able to help you.
Thanks for the information.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #387
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if the insurers are required to maintain premium, deductibles and copays or can they raise these throughout the year?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #388
Recycles dryer sheets

What effect will Obamacare have on me if I already have an insurance plan? Will my current Humana plan go or down?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
I wonder if the insurers are required to maintain premium, deductibles and copays or can they raise these throughout the year?
Your contract will be for a year so the premiums. deductibles and copays would be fixed by contract as I understand it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #390
Give me a forum ...

RE: effect of a credit freeze -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I suspect not, only because I got through the verification section easily and froze my credit some time ago.
Thanks, I still have not done a credit freeze, I am such a procrastinator. So I won't let this stop me.

-ERD50
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What effect will Obamacare have on me if I already have an insurance plan? Will my current Humana plan go or down?
It depends. Is your current plan through your employer?

Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just filled out the application for subsidy. went all the way through no problem. came to the last page that said click to view results. clicked got a blank page. closed the page and signed back on to the site. now it says in progress. did any one else get this? how long did it take for the in progress to determine what you get or to let you know what is going on? I have the application id no. thanks

frank
Yes, I've been in progress for at least a week, still waiting (Florida)
Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #393
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It depends. Is your current plan through your employer?
Nope - I am retired.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #394
Give me a forum ...

I think experience has varied but premiums are generally higher, and in some cases a lot higher. I'd suggest that you call your carrier on Monday.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #395
Recycles dryer sheets

I was thinking about what sort of people are actually going to the exchanges.

Then I saw this:

Uninsured Americans Still Unfamiliar With Health Exchanges

71% of uninsured unfamiliar with heath exchanges. 34% of uninsured will pay the fine versus 25% in Sept. If these 34% are the young and healthy then the death spiral will be upon Obamacare.

Looking at the interest on this site it seems that a lot of traffic on the health exchanges are people with insurance but are looking to switch into the Health Exchange system rather than those which lack insurance.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
I was thinking about what sort of people are actually going to the exchanges.

Then I saw this:

Uninsured Americans Still Unfamiliar With Health Exchanges

71% of uninsured unfamiliar with heath exchanges. 34% of uninsured will pay the fine versus 25% in Sept. If these 34% are the young and healthy then the death spiral will be upon Obamacare.

Looking at the interest on this site it seems that a lot of traffic on the health exchanges are people with insurance but are looking to switch into the Health Exchange system rather than those which lack insurance.
This is the problem that greatly concerns me. I am not worried as much about this years tremendous premium hike facing me. I am worried about the following years jump. If your above stats bear out, my concern is very valid. There will ultimately be a breaking point somewhere, when I will not pay either and think like OldTrig is. The bottom 50% of Americans consume 2% of healthcare costs. I am one of those and would gamble I stay there. And that 2% penalty...come and get it if you can. Though my opinion may sound on the extreme with posters here, I am very confident it would be the norm with the general population.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
This is the problem that greatly concerns me. I am not worried as much about this years tremendous premium hike facing me. I am worried about the following years jump. If your above stats bear out, my concern is very valid. There will ultimately be a breaking point somewhere, when I will not pay either and think like OldTrig is. The bottom 50% of Americans consume 2% of healthcare costs. I am one of those and would gamble I stay there. And that 2% penalty...come and get it if you can. Though my opinion may sound on the extreme with posters here, I am very confident it would be the norm with the general population.
It should be noted that according to reports they only expect about 7 million to sign up this year. One must assume that the insurance rates were based upon this. I have seen reports of about 500k folks completing applications, but yahoo seems to have hidden the story. The 7 million number would imply about 1 million a month.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #398

Quote:
I think experience has varied but premiums are generally higher, and in some cases a lot higher. I'd suggest that you call your carrier on Monday.
I suspect the question depends on the existance of pre-existing condition. For the Tx high risk pool, the ACA rates are lower (all be it the high risk rates are 2x the normal rates). It also depends on which plans you compare, where I live it varies from Bronze at about 400/month to gold at about 850.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #399
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just filled out the application for subsidy. went all the way through no problem. came to the last page that said click to view results. clicked got a blank page. closed the page and signed back on to the site. now it says in progress. did any one else get this? how long did it take for the in progress to determine what you get or to let you know what is going on? I have the application id no. thanks frank
Try completely clearing your browser cache and cookies and then logging back in. That worked for me. I'm now "enrolled" based on the screen (after having made my selection) but the insurer doesn't yet seem to know who I am.

Apparently they are still have back end problems communicating between the exchange and the actual insurers.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post

Try completely clearing your browser cache and cookies and then logging back in. That worked for me. I'm now "enrolled" based on the screen (after having made my selection) but the insurer doesn't yet seem to know who I am.

Apparently they are still have back end problems communicating between the exchange and the actual insurers.
Thats what I did, 3rd account. Using IE with the cache cleared I made it all the way through the process. Haven't hit enroll yet, been comparing a few plans.

I want to talk to the payer, understand these offerings better.

Thanks to all that have helped,

MRG
Closed Thread