Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #441
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh the hits just keep coming though no surprise. Report: Obama administration knew millions wouldn't be able to keep insurance

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's official, we have ACA insurance. Got a notice from the insurer that we need to make the first payment to confirm our coverage. Then they will send us the Summary Benefit of Coverage. I read what I could on the HealthCare.gov site when I was still able to see plans and also from the insurers own page about their ACA plan. It better be the same.

I was very surprised when this came in the mail. I had been checking my account and nothing changed, no online notices, no updates showing progress, no email notifications. I honestly thought it was all still stuck in limbo.

For once, falling through a crack is a good thing. I think......

Our 26 year old son is still getting nowhere. He has made 2 accounts, filled out all the info in one and was told to click to see his eligibility but nothing happens, no letter shows up. On the other account the same thing happens but now whenever he checks, his info is gone and has to be re-entered. Still can't see the Eligibilty Letter.

Last Wednesday he called the 800 number, got escalated and has been waiting for his "2 business day" callback.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #443
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
True, but in our state the cost difference between a couple and family bronze plan exceeds the cost of of a catastrophic plan for a single , so if your kid is healthy I think one might be better off buying a separate catastrophic plan for the kid.

On the flip side, if you are eligible for subsidy and if you are in your 50's (most of us ER's are), it is quite likely that the kids policy is given gratis.

Yes, it costs you ZERO additional dollars as your expenditure is capped at fixed percentage around 9%. If you are already at that level, which is what subsidy-eligible means, adding a person to the policy doesn't cost any thing more. The subsidy just expands to accommodate the increased cost!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #444

After I signed up for coverage through my state's (New York) exchange back on October 5th, I was hoping to hear from my new company to confirm coverage. (Actually, my new company is not really new. I have an existing policy through them which is not ACA compliant and will be expiring at the end of 2013. I just happen to choose them for my new, broader policy through the exchange.) It took two attempts in the last week or so, navigating through some hellish automated phone system just to be able to talk to a live person, only to be told they would not have the new exchange customers in their system until early November. That's okay as long as the voice on the other end of the line wasn't just putting me off by covering for the possibility that she had no idea if that would be true. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #445
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
After I signed up for coverage through my state's (New York) exchange back on October 5th, I was hoping to hear from my new company to confirm coverage. (Actually, my new company is not really new. I have an existing policy through them which is not ACA compliant and will be expiring at the end of 2013. I just happen to choose them for my new, broader policy through the exchange.) It took two attempts in the last week or so, navigating through some hellish automated phone system just to be able to talk to a live person, only to be told they would not have the new exchange customers in their system until early November. That's okay as long as the voice on the other end of the line wasn't just putting me off by covering for the possibility that she had no idea if that would be true. I guess I'll find out pretty soon.
I was told the same by both the agent and the 800 line ... It'd be late November before I'd hear anything.

I received my welcome letter and first months bill in the mail yesterday.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #446
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like I was able to upload two documents into the ACA application for my daughter yesterday. Previously, this function on the website was not working for me. We uploaded an Employer Coverage Tool form and a letter from her employer stating she is not eligible to be covered under their health insurance plan.

I hope this will finalize the application and provide her with the subsidy as there was no indication that she was approved for one through the application.

How does one tell the system has approved an applicant for the subsidy if they qualify by income level and non-existing coverage?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #447
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It looks like I was able to upload two documents into the ACA application for my daughter yesterday. Previously, this function on the website was not working for me. We uploaded an Employer Coverage Tool form and a letter from her employer stating she is not eligible to be covered under their health insurance plan.

I hope this will finalize the application and provide her with the subsidy as there was no indication that she was approved for one through the application.

How does one tell the system has approved an applicant for the subsidy if they qualify by income level and non-existing coverage?
Log out and in, do you see a 'download eligibility results'. Ive also seen a green view eligibility, but never got that to work. Try looking at the next steps for your application, hopefully its 'enroll'. Failing all else 1-800....

Best wishes,

MRG
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Log out and in, do you see a 'download eligibility results'. Ive also seen a green view eligibility, but never got that to work. Try looking at the next steps for your application, hopefully its 'enroll'. Failing all else 1-800....

Best wishes,

MRG
I was going to give it another try this morning. Guess what? System is down.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

I was going to give it another try this morning. Guess what? System is down.
Now how can that be? I just heard K. Sebelius testify it was never down, just slow:-). Guess she shouldn't have jinxed it.

MRG
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now how can that be? I just heard K. Sebelius testify it was never down, just slow:-). Guess she shouldn't have jinxed it.

MRG

What she said is that the Verizon hub or something is not working and you cannot access it (along with other sites)... but it is up and running....
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Technically that is different. Not to the end user, but technically different. I probably took her comment out of context.

MRG
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #452
Moderator Emeritus

Just tried to get on:

The system is down at the moment.

We are experiencing technical difficulties and hope to have them resolved soon. Please try again later.
In a hurry? You might be able to apply faster at our Marketplace call center. Call 1-800-318-2596 to talk with one of our trained representatives about applying over the phone.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #453

Finally got my application approved. The problem I have is the amount of the 'eligible tax credit' that the letter stated I qualified for is obviously incorrect, about twice what I should be getting. Nice problem to have I haven't figured out a way yet to review my application to see what income they used to determine the tax credit. I tried the chat function but they weren't much help, said to appeal the decision if I don't agree with it. When I filled out the application I answered yes to the question "Will your 2014 income be the same as reported in your last tax return?". It never asked me to input the actual dollar amount so I assumed it would grab it from my tax return.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #454
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Finally got my application approved. The problem I have is the amount of the 'eligible tax credit' that the letter stated I qualified for is obviously incorrect, about twice what I should be getting. Nice problem to have I haven't figured out a way yet to review my application to see what income they used to determine the tax credit. I tried the chat function but they weren't much help, said to appeal the decision if I don't agree with it. When I filled out the application I answered yes to the question "Will your 2014 income be the same as reported in your last tax return?". It never asked me to input the actual dollar amount so I assumed it would grab it from my tax return.
Our application is not yet approved for completeness (just completed it and waiting). Where did you find or see the tax credit amount applied to you?

also, I have not figured a way to make a copy or review details of the application either.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

I say the tax credits in the prices quoted for policies, no subsidy information available as of yesterday.

I can't find my enrollment data either. Worse yet I want to change my income to include tax losses. Called was told I must appeal. Think I see a new account and application in my future.

MRG
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Our application is not yet approved for completeness (just completed it and waiting). Where did you find or see the tax credit amount applied to you?

also, I have not figured a way to make a copy or review details of the application either.
After I completed my application an "Eligibility Notice" document showed up on my Application page. It's a pdf document you can download and it states if you were approved and for how much.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #457

Quote:
I can't find my enrollment data either. Worse yet I want to change my income to include tax losses. Called was told I must appeal. Think I see a new account and application in my future.

MRG
I did see somewhere that the ability to update your application income information online wouldn't be available until the middle of November.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

Zinger1457,

Thank you, had not seen it. Of course 'they' have to make it work!

MRG
Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #459
Give me a forum ...

I thought I'd take another stab at the Hawaii exchange. There has been improvements. However I got an system error message during the verfication step. I tried 15 minutes later and it went through. Anyway it looks like after filing out 3 applications, there is hope that this one will be submitted.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #460
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Before enrolling, you will be asked what portion of the subsidy you'd like to have applied to the premium. You can reduce, at that point, the amount to what you'd like to have credited.