ACA sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after you upload requested income verification stuff, do you get anything back that says you are good to go? After a week and a half mine just tells me I have a "notice about Marketplace eligibility".

Last edited:
December 23 for signup - 8 day extension.

Somewhere I saw a later deadline for actual payment.
This CNBC article says Dec 31 is the new payment deadline for the Jan 1 plans (was Dec 15). Obamacare extensions for 2014, 2015 announced

Wow, I hope the insurers are aware of this and are able to turn on these quickly enough. I got the email confirmation from BCBS on Sunday and a call from a nurse on Monday confirming my enrollment, but I won't feel comfortable until I've received a bill and they have accepted my payment. At least this gives me 8 more days to make sure my enrollment "stuck" and 16 more days to make sure my payment goes through. But this is really cutting it close!

Thanks Ziggy I forgot about those few strange questions about old phone #s.
Now if I just get the call to send them money I'm set. Never been so eager to pay a bill.

Hi Lemming. I'm in the same situation. Enrolled, got an account number from HC.gov, selected ins plan. I was staring at the "pay" button for a while, then tried to use "chat" feature, and the "pay" button disappeared and never came back. Then nothing but silence. No emails, no letters, no phone calls from anyone. Did you eventually get a contact from someone?

Hi Lemming. I'm in the same situation. Enrolled, got an account number from HC.gov, selected ins plan. I was staring at the "pay" button for a while, then tried to use "chat" feature, and the "pay" button disappeared and never came back. Then nothing but silence. No emails, no letters, no phone calls from anyone. Did you eventually get a contact from someone?

Yes .... I was fortunate enough to enroll early on. I heard nothing whatsoever, from anyone, for a couple weeks until out of the blue I received a "welcome letter" from the insurer that included a billing for the first month's premium (that had to be paid by 12/15).

I paid the premium immediately but have heard nothing since ... so yesterday morning, I called the insurer and confirmed that I'm scheduled to have coverage begin on January 1st and that, by mid-December, I will receive an information packet along with ID cards.

I'm at the same place, status on Healthcare.gov says completed, enrolled, status is initial enrollment ( since about 4 days ago ). For those are beyond this point, what happens next ? Is the insurance company to contact me or do I need to contact them. I saw nothing about making payment after making the final selection, no emails etc.

When I bought my current non-ACA Humana policy we had to do a conference call with them to be asked a bunch of questions. These questions adjusted the cost of the policy up or down and was about our past medical history.

Is this done when signing up for an ACA policy?

By the way ... BCBS of Florida, regardless of types of coverage (medical or dental) requires enrollment & payment by no later than the 15th of the month preceding the start of coverage. It's going to be interesting to see how they comply with the new announcement that people can enroll by 12/21 and pay by 12/31.

When I bought my current non-ACA Humana policy we had to do a conference call with them to be asked a bunch of questions. These questions adjusted the cost of the policy up or down and was about our past medical history.

Is this done when signing up for an ACA policy?

I can tell you that, in terms of enrolling in an ACA plan through BCBS of Florida, the only health related question asked was in regards to whether or not either I or my DW had ever smoked. Nothing more.

The ONLY other questions asked were for name, address, date of birth, and social security number and, of course, projected income for 2014 to determine subsidy amount.

I've since received the welcome letter and billing for first month's premium and have confirmed that I am enrolled and ready to go for January 1st.

I'm at the same place, status on Healthcare.gov says completed, enrolled, status is initial enrollment ( since about 4 days ago ). For those are beyond this point, what happens next ? Is the insurance company to contact me or do I need to contact them. I saw nothing about making payment after making the final selection, no emails etc.

Good to know others are having success by merely waiting some amount of days, then getting an email or a letter. After I successfully "enrolled" I asked a chat person what was next, and the chatter said to contact my insurance co. I did call up my insurer the next day, just to be "proactive", and they said they had received nothing yet from HC.gov, but to check back again with them, the insurer, after a few more days.

They also wanted to push me back onto the HC.gov 800 number. But I really, really, really want to avoid calling that 800 number..... I'm going to hang tight for a few more days, and hope something good happens. :)

I have a question. I can't really get this ACA, as my employer (the one i early retired from) does furnish health care...but, if i ever thought my employer was way too high,asnd wanted to see about ACA, do they even ask if you have had cancer? I did 11 years ago. I know I can't be turned down, but do they charge me a lot more because of it? And, I won't get a subsidy,as I have employer health (if i want the retiree health..)
thanks

I have a question. I can't really get this ACA, as my employer (the one i early retired from) does furnish health care...but, if i ever thought my employer was way too high,asnd wanted to see about ACA, do they even ask if you have had cancer? I did 11 years ago. I know I can't be turned down, but do they charge me a lot more because of it? And, I won't get a subsidy,as I have employer health (if i want the retiree health..)

No. The only health-related question they ask is whether or not you smoke.

thanks

Your age affects your rate, not your previous health history. I don't know if it depends on the state you live in, but it also sounds like nicotine use can also affect your rate.

Someone else can chime in on the retiree health insurance issue. I thought someone had said it that would not stop you from using ACA health insurance.

thanks

Have you seen this info?
Getting Personal With Your Health Insurance Exchange Questions : Shots - Health News : NPR

I did not get signed up with ACA this year because I had to do something by October 31. It did make me think we can still enroll via ACA, even with a retirement insurance plan?

Sorry that I do not know anything about the pre-existing condition.

Thanks to those who answered my questions about preexisting cancer and if can get ACA if have option of retired employee plan. Now, I need to see if I do chose ACA, :
1) IF eligible for subsidy (I see some say yes some say no, if you have option of employer coverage), 2) if i would still keep the future $200 subsidy of medigap coverage benefit from my employer

Thanks to those who answered my questions about preexisting cancer and if can get ACA if have option of retired employee plan. Now, I need to see if I do chose ACA, :
1) IF eligible for subsidy (I see some say yes some say no, if you have option of employer coverage), 2) if i would still keep the future $200 subsidy of medigap coverage benefit from my employer

Your involvement with ACA ends when you turn 65 and start Medicare coverage and use your medigap coverage.....if you are still allowed to do so if you haven't taken the employer health insurance coverage prior to Medicare.

2) if i would still keep the future $200 subsidy of medigap coverage benefit from my employer

You really need to pay close attention to the fine print in your retiree plan. If you leave the plan or don't participate you may very well forfeit any future benefits like a medigap subsidy.

Thanks, I know my pre-65 health coverage would end at 65, but my company I retired from (57) offers a benefit at 65 of $200 paid monthly as a subsidy for MedSup plan.(anyone hired after me, does NOT get this perk anymore). I can't get a straight answer from the AON HEWITT 3rd Party Administrator,to tell me IF I waive my retiree coverage, do I still get this Medigap Subsidy. This is my quandary...as ACA would most probably be less than what my ex-company could give me, but I don'twant to give up the age 65 $200 perk. Only a rhetorical musing...but not knowing the answer is unnerving. I signed up with the Company, as the open enrollment is ending..but maybe for NEXT year,I will know the answer and can do ACA. :)

Thanks, I know my pre-65 health coverage would end at 65, but my company I retired from (57) offers a benefit at 65 of $200 paid monthly as a subsidy for MedSup plan.(anyone hired after me, does NOT get this perk anymore). I can't get a straight answer from the AON HEWITT 3rd Party Administrator,to tell me IF I waive my retiree coverage, do I still get this Medigap Subsidy. This is my quandary...as ACA would most probably be less than what my ex-company could give me, but I don'twant to give up the age 65 $200 perk. Only a rhetorical musing...but not knowing the answer is unnerving. I signed up with the Company, as the open enrollment is ending..but maybe for NEXT year,I will know the answer and can do ACA. :)

If they do give you an answer, insist that it be in writing so if you rely on it and come back at age 65 to claim your $200 medigap benefit that they can't claim that you misinterpreted their response.

Guess I'm lucky. Our company said, in writing, we can still get the
benefit, even if we leave the retire's plan. (Agilent).:greetings10:

Thank god I don't have to go on this site. The security holes are terrible. Not commenting on the law itself, but the site is a security nightmare. Good luck on putting all your personnel data on it.

Thank god I don't have to go on this site. The security holes are terrible. Not commenting on the law itself, but the site is a security nightmare. Good luck on putting all your personnel data on it.

As someone who successfully navigated the site very early on (and someone who comes from the banking industry - highly security minded), I really don't have much concern. While there is personal information being collected, there isn't anything that I can recall that I likely couldn't collect on someone in pretty short order by using one of the search engines already available for that purpose. There is no medical information being collected and no financial (banking or credit card) material being collected .... That information is provided directly to the insurers post enrollment).

Some of this reminds me of conversations with former banking customers concerned about security. They said they'd "never use a card online" and would "never make a deposit at the ATM" and preferred writing checks to using online banking bill pay. These same people, though, when asked, readily admitted that they have many times handed their credit card or debit card to a server at a restaurant who'd leave the table to use it. They also seemed surprised that it was an unusual day when a teller line would be fully in balance and that it "never" happened that the ATM would be out of balance. (And that if the teller line was out of balance less than a 4 digit number, we'd do a cursory review but not much in depth unless a customer complained).

They also don't consider that online bill pay goes "computer to computer" without human intervention while writing checks means a minimum wage clerk is opening an envelope and immediately having access to their name, address, routing and account numbers, (and in some cases phone numbers and drivers license number!)

Identity theft is real ... But true hackers aren't going after sites that don't provide financial information. They don't need to. There are more than enough opportunities for breaking into systems that have immediately usable information.

I signed up today via phone after several failed attempts via the web site. Took 1 hour. Of particular interest, they wanted my 2013 estimated income, not my 2014 estimated income for subsidy calculation. I questioned this several times. This is contrary to everything I have read, Since I worked this year before retiring, I have significant wages, so, no subsidy for me even though retired now and will be in 2014.
Is this accurate??! or did I get a healthcare.gov rep and supervisor who were not appropriately informed?

I signed up today via phone after several failed attempts via the web site. Took 1 hour. Of particular interest, they wanted my 2013 estimated income, not my 2014 estimated income for subsidy calculation. I questioned this several times. This is contrary to everything I have read, Since I worked this year before retiring, I have significant wages, so, no subsidy for me even though retired now and will be in 2014.
Is this accurate??! or did I get a healthcare.gov rep and supervisor who were not appropriately informed?

Everything I've filled out was for projected 2014 income. They may have changed policy, or you got a neebie. I'm in the same boat retired 2013, so comparing 2012, 2013, and projected 2014 is of little value.

MRG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom