Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
OK -- that means they are offering ACA-compliant policies but declined to offer it through the Exchange.

As indeed all the quotes on the media from letters are. The companies would rather sell directly and keep you as a semi captive customer.
__________________

__________________
meierlde is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #562
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
OK, maybe I little different than what I thought. So you actually skipped and went to and confirmed but it wouldn't go forward without the dental section being completed ?

Well I guess I'll find out about that next I have it all done except clicking confirm.
Yes and then I went back thinking I needed to do that section but change wouldn't stick and always indicated SET for dental option. Perhaps was a bug at that time and is fixed now so maybe you won't have same issue as others have enrolled.

I'm just not sure whether it is only me and my application is hosed now or still a bug which will get addressed. I'm also curious whether I could try submitting another application with all the same info that was previously submitted and approved and try enrolling all over or once you have an approved application will it not let me at this point?
__________________

__________________
bpgdeg1234 is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #563
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Big day tomorrow, potentially, if it holds up -- the day you can make "status changes" to your existing application. (This was supposed to be enabled on October 15, but was changed to November 15 when the problems were all around.) I for one will be curious if it works and fixes the problems which have prevented me from actually enrolling. (I'm a couple clicks away on two applications, but on one of them, my Indian status is recognized but I have to get my wife off the list of applicants. On the other, I need to get my own Indian status recognized.)

I have to commit to my wife to her plan by November 22, and if I'm still having troubles with my Indian status up to there, we'll have to decide whether I eat the Exchange without Indian status (with subsidies, but not the cost sharing the law requires) or if I'll ask the church council to change their election to also cover me with their medical and dental (at a pre-tax cost of about $380 a month to us personally). Since I can get a subsidized Bronze PPO plan for about $110 I'll probably go that way and hope I can get my Indian status recognized before I burn much of the $6000 deductible. Still not sure yet, though.

The treasurer at our church who deals with the benefits wants to know why we haven't elected her insurance yet. It's because this process is currently a fiasco. That's not a statement on the substance of the law, but the process has been a fiasco!
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #564
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
I'm also curious whether I could try submitting another application with all the same info that was previously submitted and approved and try enrolling all over or once you have an approved application will it not let me at this point?
I think you can start a new one, if you start fresh with a new user ID and email. I have an old one still in the verification limbo and it had an application number assigned. I created a new account and started over and it all went smooth to where I am now ready to purchase.

Another option to look at is to check the insurers website for an option to buy. I was looking around the insurers site for mine and they have an enrollment page that links your existing exchange account to get your subsidy then do the plan selection and purchase on their site. That's an alternative way maybe to complete the purchase.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #565
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
I'm just not sure whether it is only me and my application is hosed now or still a bug which will get addressed. I'm also curious whether I could try submitting another application with all the same info that was previously submitted and approved and try enrolling all over or once you have an approved application will it not let me at this point?
I have at least three "approved" applications out there which aren't enrolled yet.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #566
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake City
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Why is in my letter from Humana they are showing an ACA plan, but when looking at the ACA plans on the Healthcare website there are no Humana plans?
Because all new plans MUST comply with ACA but the insurers are not required to offer all plans on the exchange.

For example, United is offering new plans that are ACA compliant but they are not participating at all on the exchanges, anywhere.

This leads to the question as to how much different will be the plans offered directly thru the insurers versus those offered thru the exchanges.
__________________
jflynn4 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake City
Posts: 131
I personally has one "in process" that I couldn't get past the selection, one in "enrolled and selected" and the one that was finally successful (I've received the welcome letter and have paid initial payment) that was started at the insurers website, sent thru the exchange for subsidy verification, and then back to the insurer for completion.

Seems there may not be any limit to the number of tries.
__________________
jflynn4 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #568
Recycles dryer sheets
shotgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 454
FWIW. I created an account in Healthcare.gov in Oct. I was stuck with ID verification pending for 3 weeks after uploading a PDF of my drivers license.

This week I created a new username and got all the way to the point of picking a policy and applying my premium to it. There was a "pay" button and when I clicked on it my IE popup blocker stopped the process. I clicked on allow popups but could never get the "pay" button back.

Now regardless of which username I log in with I am taken to the same "completed" but stuck application with no means of making payment. The menu to the right that allows you to see details, report life change etc is now not working as well. Numerous calls to Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, about 3 hours phone time have gotten no where.

I can no longer start another application in healthcare.gov as it appears to recognize my name and stops stating only one approved application per individual is allowed.

I am beginning to wonder if the glitchy system was not put in place to steer/force people into buying more expensive ACA compliant policies outside the exchange (and not eligible for tax credit). Collusion between the government and insurance companies is a thought now crossing my mind as it is hard to believe this could be so messed up and for so long on sheer incompetence.

On another note the only insurer in New Hampshire ACA policies do not provide coverage for out of state referrals to specialists. With Boston an hour away many people with serious conditions go to Boston for various treatments. This is not an option with a NH exhange policy.
__________________
Never surrender what you really want for what you want right now.
shotgunner is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #569
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I think you can start a new one, if you start fresh with a new user ID and email. I have an old one still in the verification limbo and it had an application number assigned. I created a new account and started over and it all went smooth to where I am now ready to purchase.

Another option to look at is to check the insurers website for an option to buy. I was looking around the insurers site for mine and they have an enrollment page that links your existing exchange account to get your subsidy then do the plan selection and purchase on their site. That's an alternative way maybe to complete the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I have at least three "approved" applications out there which aren't enrolled yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post
I personally has one "in process" that I couldn't get past the selection, one in "enrolled and selected" and the one that was finally successful (I've received the welcome letter and have paid initial payment) that was started at the insurers website, sent thru the exchange for subsidy verification, and then back to the insurer for completion.

Seems there may not be any limit to the number of tries.
Thanks for everyone's advise. I will investigate the insurers website option and an "Advanced Resolution Specialist" is also scheduled to call me next week (oh boy can't wait for that conversation). If the issue doesn't get addressed by any of these options or potentially by the Tech folks during their ongoing website remediation efforts then I will proceed with another Ironman application submission/enrollment process.
__________________
bpgdeg1234 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #570
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post

Thanks for everyone's advise. I will investigate the insurers website option and an "Advanced Resolution Specialist" is also scheduled to call me next week (oh boy can't wait for that conversation). If the issue doesn't get addressed by any of these options or potentially by the Tech folks during their ongoing website remediation efforts then I will proceed with another Ironman application submission/enrollment process.
If you expect absolutely nothing from the 'Advanced Resolution Specialist', they may not let you down too much. I hope YMMV.

MRG
__________________
MRG is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #571
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
"Report a life change will be available on 11/15/2013. Come back on that date to report your change."

Uh, it *is* 11/15/2013..... of course you didn't say what time...
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #572
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
"Report a life change will be available on 11/15/2013. Come back on that date to report your change."

Uh, it *is* 11/15/2013..... of course you didn't say what time...
Mignight out on the far side of Australia? Of course they might just miss it, hope
not.
__________________
MRG is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #573
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Thornton
Posts: 60
I received a call from a rep at Connect for Health Colorado on Wednesday 11/13/13 regarding my enrollment. She was going to start the enrollment process (again? I thought they already started it and were waiting for the IRS on the subsidy amount) she needed my Colorado PEAK case number, when I gave it to her and she entered it into the system, it came back as invalid. After multiple attempts she said she would have to get back to me later in the day or the next day. I still have not heard from her...it is the 15th.
__________________
Weekend? What's that?
rockymountainhigh is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #574
Recycles dryer sheets
shotgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
"Report a life change will be available on 11/15/2013. Come back on that date to report your change."

Uh, it *is* 11/15/2013..... of course you didn't say what time...
Ziggy, that button and menu was working on my application when I ran into the popup blocker/payment issue. The next day that menu on the left side that includes report a life change has been broken.

I have pretty much lost hope and will probably grin and bear it by purchasing HI outside the exchange and forgo the tax credit.
__________________
Never surrender what you really want for what you want right now.
shotgunner is offline  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #575
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 940
Signed up last night on State run exchange and had no real problems. Did take about two hours from start to finish and was asked for documentation on income. Kind of a pain, but not a big deal as they give you 90 days to provide. Ended up with a policy substantially better than what we had... isn't Amerika grand.
__________________
LARS is offline  
Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #576
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 193
Thought I'd share an update on my application (through CA's exchange). After successfully enrolling through the site and selecting a plan, I was told by the exchange to expect my first communication confirming the enrollment from the insurance company. Once the supplied date had passed, I called the insurance company and was then told to expect my first communication from the exchange - and that the insurance company won't have anything in their system until at least 10 days after I receive welcome letters from the exchange.

I called the exchange this morning to confirm that everything is fine, and that they still think I'm supposed to hear from the insurance company first (even after I told them that the insurance company told me the exact opposite earlier in the day).

Also, the exchange sent me a message telling me that I was temporarily approved to buy insurance for 90 days, and that I needed to send in verification docs to get the approval extended for the year - except I already sent in all the paperwork using the exact method requested in the message. Oh yeah, the message also asked me to pick a policy (it thought I hadn't yet). The rep at the exchange told me to ignore that message.

My point? I guess I'm just rambling - and hoping my experience will help someone who might be just getting started - expect lots of mis-communication and confusion. Hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

I did also have a question for anyone that might be further along in the process - has anyone in CA actually received enrollment/id cards from their selected insurance company? Care to describe how it all went down?

Cheers,
__________________
skyline is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #577
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
....

I can no longer start another application in healthcare.gov as it appears to recognize my name and stops stating only one approved application per individual is allowed.

I was wondering about this. I still haven't applied since I am waiting for the bugs to be fixed first, but am getting nervous since 12/15 is approaching. Can we still submit multiple applications, on the federal version?
__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #578
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post

I was wondering about this. I still haven't applied since I am waiting for the bugs to be fixed first, but am getting nervous since 12/15 is approaching. Can we still submit multiple applications, on the federal version?
I have 2 in processs on fed exchange. One started 10/20, the other 11/17. So yes you can, you'll need a different email address and go through the verification again.

I can't get any insurer to claim knowledge of 'cost sharing' our FPL is down to under 200% on the 11/17 application.

Spoke with one insurance rep yesterday, that company won't get my business. That guy had less of a clue about their provider network than me. Said straight out 'I've not heard of cost sharing'.

I spoke with a broker yesterday, she knew what it was and will be meeting this week with folks, she said she'd bring the topic up. How do I get it if healthcare.gov isn't showing any silver plans with cost sharing? Last I talked to healthcare.gov it was a glitch.

MRG
__________________
MRG is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #579
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I have 2 in processs on fed exchange. One started 10/20, the other 11/17. So yes you can, you'll need a different email address and go through the verification again.

I can't get any insurer to claim knowledge of 'cost sharing' our FPL is down to under 200% on the 11/17 application.

Spoke with one insurance rep yesterday, that company won't get my business. That guy had less of a clue about their provider network than me. Said straight out 'I've not heard of cost sharing'.

I spoke with a broker yesterday, she knew what it was and will be meeting this week with folks, she said she'd bring the topic up. How do I get it if healthcare.gov isn't showing any silver plans with cost sharing? Last I talked to healthcare.gov it was a glitch.

MRG
MRG,

Thanks for your answer.

Your experience mirrors mine when it comes to getting information from the people who are supposed to know. I share your disgust.

I got lucky I guess when I called the Highmark Blue Shield 800 number. An affable woman answered and knew exactly what I was talking about regarding cost sharing subsidies, and walked me through the numbers pertaining to the plan I was interested in. She even knew what I would encounter when filling out the federal exchange application. They seem to actually want to enroll exchange plans. Their website even has an option to show you your exact deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and max oop associated with your "number" from the cost sharing formula. My number was 94%, since my low income would result in the plan having a 94% actuarial value regarding cost sharing. The next number down the tier is 87% AV, based on slightly higher magi income.

You say the federal exchange now has a glitch for silver plans that doesn't allow you to see your copays, deductibles, and coinsurance and oop max after you've gone to the trouble of filling everything out? Great! I suppose I could enroll anyway, and trust the insurance company's numbers to be accurate.

I found good, understandable data on healthinsurance.about.com regarding cost sharing and how much you get based on income.

I'm still debating how much income to list for 2014. I really don't know what it will be, so I'm tempted to report a low income, like $12,000, but that might trigger the system to require me to apply for medicaid, which would take who knows how long, just to get rejected for it. Time for another one hour chat session with HC.gov, I guess.

Good luck! There is hope, evidenced by the Highmark Blue Shield agent who was very helpful.
__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #580
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Thought I'd share an update on my application (through CA's exchange). After successfully enrolling through the site and selecting a plan, I was told by the exchange to expect my first communication confirming the enrollment from the insurance company.

.......

Also, the exchange sent me a message telling me that I was temporarily approved to buy insurance for 90 days, and that I needed to send in verification docs to get the approval extended for the year - except I already sent in all the paperwork using the exact method requested in the message. Oh yeah, the message also asked me to pick a policy.


I did also have a question for anyone that might be further along in the process - has anyone in CA actually received enrollment/id cards from their selected insurance company? Care to describe how it all went down?

Cheers,
I have gone through just what you describe, except that to date, I haven't called the exchange -- and I ain't gonna. Not yet, anyway.

I got an online message about the 90-day approval. Just a few days later, I got the same message via regular mail.

I am thinking that the Covered CA exchange is finally going to tell the insurance company that I am provisionally approved and the insurance company may finally send me the stuff I was told, online, they would send, when I first chose our plan.
__________________

__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.