Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,606
John Galt III,

Just talked to a supervisor at healthcare.gov. She was unaware of the issues with the 'cost sharing' but did put in an incident for the technical team to review. She validited 'yes you should get cost sharing'.

In the middle of our conversation my tax subsidy went away. She saw it disappear too, her response: 'We've been having issues today, try back tomorrow, sorry for the issues.'

She could also see all 3 applications I've submitted, said maybe start another one if this isn't fixed.

Thanks for your response, good luck,

MRG
__________________

__________________
MRG is online now  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,490
It seems strange that they have all this verification stuff going on but there is no problem with a single household having registered numerous accounts to get around the inadequacies of the system. With our state's system, you can have multiple accounts as long as the username and email address are unique from other accounts. But for our 3 accounts we have the same insureds at this juncture. Odd.
__________________

__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now  
Old 11-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It seems strange that they have all this verification stuff going on but there is no problem with a single household having registered numerous accounts to get around the inadequacies of the system. With our state's system, you can have multiple accounts as long as the username and email address are unique from other accounts. But for our 3 accounts we have the same insureds at this juncture. Odd.
I'm guessing that since you can't edit your application after its submitted, that's the work around. It would have been easy to put constraints/referential integrity in to prevent this on day zero. Not so easy now.

MRG
__________________
MRG is online now  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #584
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
I made it through the sign up. Very happy with the resulting subsidy. There were problems but it turned out to be not too bad.

I had the idea that the subsidy delivered in 2014 was based on 2013 MAGI. The web site leads me to believe that it is based on 2014 actuals which you estimate from 2013 info. I don't think they considered my "one time" Tira to Roth conversion in the calculation. Maybe I will find out the calc details after the dust settles in a couple of months.
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is online now  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #585
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I made it through the sign up. Very happy with the resulting subsidy. There were problems but it turned out to be not too bad.

I had the idea that the subsidy delivered in 2014 was based on 2013 MAGI. The web site leads me to believe that it is based on 2014 actuals which you estimate from 2013 info. I don't think they considered my "one time" Tira to Roth conversion in the calculation. Maybe I will find out the calc details after the dust settles in a couple of months.
Recall that they will true up the subsidies after the 2014 tax returns are in (we don't know how but I suspect there will be a couple of more lines on the tax forms, and a table in the instructions. All the more reason to file taxes using a program)
__________________
meierlde is offline  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #586
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Recall that they will true up the subsidies after the 2014 tax returns are in (we don't know how but I suspect there will be a couple of more lines on the tax forms, and a table in the instructions. All the more reason to file taxes using a program)
That makes sense for the tax subsidy. It could be trued up later. Are they going to compensate us for cost-sharing benights that we didn't receive?

I don't think that will happen, can't see who would pay who. Maybe my lack of understanding.

MRG
__________________
MRG is online now  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #587
Recycles dryer sheets
kmt1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Scarsdale
Posts: 175
Hi. I do have a question on how the healthcare.gov works.

Once one finds the right plan, is the transaction "complete" only after one sends the info to the insurance company for the insurance company to validate the data. Or does that take place in Jan when one pays? In other words, when is point where the insurance company has your info to validate it. Now or in Jan when you pay.
__________________
"There are no solutions...there are only trade-offs." - Thomas Sowell

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #588
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Elberta, AL
Posts: 146
While reviewing possible plans I have two questions.

1) We travel a lot out of state (4 to 5 months a year-2 or 3 weeks at a time). Will we need a "Multi-State" plan?

2) We both are on blood pressure medication, but it is under control. Will we need this "High blood pressure & cholesterol program available"?
__________________
reubenray is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #589
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That makes sense for the tax subsidy. It could be trued up later. Are they going to compensate us for cost-sharing benights that we didn't receive?

I don't think that will happen, can't see who would pay who. Maybe my lack of understanding.

MRG
Cost sharing is not reconciled after the year end, only premium assistance / tax credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
Hi. I do have a question on how the healthcare.gov works.

Once one finds the right plan, is the transaction "complete" only after one sends the info to the insurance company for the insurance company to validate the data. Or does that take place in Jan when one pays? In other words, when is point where the insurance company has your info to validate it. Now or in Jan when you pay.
Your enrollment is final once you pay the first month, at the latest by Dec 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post

1) We travel a lot out of state (4 to 5 months a year-2 or 3 weeks at a time). Will we need a "Multi-State" plan?
You need to check the provider network of the plan to make sure it covers the geographic area you intend to visit.
__________________
MichaelB is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #590
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake City
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Recall that they will true up the subsidies after the 2014 tax returns are in (we don't know how but I suspect there will be a couple of more lines on the tax forms, and a table in the instructions. All the more reason to file taxes using a program)
What's interesting to me is that, since people won't file their 2014 taxes until well into 2015, (March/April), the subsidy amounts for BOTH 2014 and 2015 could be very skewed. And I'm wondering if someone, for example, ends up being over subsidized for 2014 and, say, gets a tax bill for $5,000 for their 2014 return, will the government then adjust their 2015 subsidy down mid-year? And what if that person is unable to repay (in April of 2015) their over-subsidy for 2014 and are continuing to receive a subsidy into 2015? Does that fact enter into the process at all? Will the government continue to subsidize premiums for those who've been oversubsidized in the past and already owe significant amounts because of that?

What of the couple who, individually, are both receiving subsidies, getting married in December and whose joint income now puts them into a non-subsidy position. Simple math will show that couple could end up being over subsidized by $8000-$10000.

I'd be thoroughly surprised if many people will report income changes thru the year to the exchange, or do the math necessary to look into what is going to happen in the future, voluntarily decreasing their subsidies. This is not going to be uncommon on either side of the equation as people get married, divorced, change jobs, retire, etc.

It would seem that the confusion we are seeing now could be relatively minor compared to the outcries we are likely to see in early 2015 as people who have been used to seeing $1000 or $2000 tax refunds are instead getting tax bills for $3000 or $4000 (or more).
__________________
jflynn4 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #591
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Your enrollment is final once you pay the first month, at the latest by Dec 15.
Right - you must have paid the first month by Dec 15. That is the true deadline. And the proof enrollment is complete.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #592
Recycles dryer sheets
kmt1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Scarsdale
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Right - you must have paid the first month by Dec 15. That is the true deadline. And the proof enrollment is complete.
Yes. But don't you need to apply to the insurance company ahead of that deadline for them to approve the policy and check for data problems. I agree the policy is not final until 12/15 when you pay. But I would think the insurance company need to vet the data well before 12/15.
__________________
"There are no solutions...there are only trade-offs." - Thomas Sowell

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #593
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
Yes. But don't you need to apply to the insurance company ahead of that deadline for them to approve the policy and check for data problems. I agree the policy is not final until 12/15 when you pay. But I would think the insurance company need to vet the data well before 12/15.
I think that avoiding the week of 12/15 might be a good idea, if possible. It took my insurer about a week to call me to verify a few details about my enrollment (like, what the website showed my premium and subsidy to be.) Then about a week to mail out the new insurance cards. So there's some phone tag and snail mail involved, which is fine with me (kind of reassuring, in fact.) If enrollment is starting to increase now as 12/15 approaches, some backlog seems inevitable, but avoidable, if you've made your choice.

I'll feel officially enrolled when I can log in on the insurer's website and see my name next to the new premium, deductible, etc. -- and when I can see and download the Summary of Benefits there, not "just" via Healthcare.gov. (Granted, it's a link between the two sites for now, but still.)
__________________
Rpharmer is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #594
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpharmer View Post
I'll feel officially enrolled when I can log in on the insurer's website and see my name next to the new premium, deductible, etc. -- and when I can see and download the Summary of Benefits there, not "just" via Healthcare.gov. (Granted, it's a link between the two sites for now, but still.)
I already have all that. I'll feel officially enrolled when I receive the specific materials (and bill) in the mail and they have cashed my check for the first month's premium.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #595
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I already have all that. I'll feel officially enrolled when I receive the specific materials (and bill) in the mail and they have cashed my check for the first month's premium.
And even then, you really never know if have insurance till you try to file a claim and they actually pay it.
__________________
rbmrtn is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #596
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
Yes. But don't you need to apply to the insurance company ahead of that deadline for them to approve the policy and check for data problems. I agree the policy is not final until 12/15 when you pay. But I would think the insurance company need to vet the data well before 12/15.
BCBS told me they could actually do it pretty much same day with bank draft (or maybe day before) but I wouldn't try to cut it so close.

They also said they won't actually do the draft or whatever until Dec 15.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #597
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
And even then, you really never know if have insurance till you try to file a claim and they actually pay it.
It's not quite that bleak, although there may be certain things not covered. ACA compliance takes care of many of the old gotcha's.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #598
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,287
Applied successfully today! The eligibility notice stated I "can choose a health plan with lower copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles(06)". I think the "(06)" is a reference number for how much cost sharing I can have.
__________________
John Galt III is offline  
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #599
Recycles dryer sheets
bamsphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 337
I finally got around to comparing a "Family" plan for myself and DW with two "Individual" plans. To my surprise the sum of the two individual premiums was exactly the same to the penny as the family plan. The deductibles and most importantly OOP Max for the family plan were also just the sum of the individual plans. So if both individuals spent nothing, or both exceeded their OOP max both cases were the same. However, if only one person needed health care, the lower individual limits would make having two plans a win.

Unfortunately, it looks like that is not allowed. I could not find any documentation, so I used chat on healthcare.gov and asked:
Quote:
Can a married couple apply for two individual policies instead of one family policy without changing their combined premium subsidy?
The answer was:
Quote:
A married couple would have to apply as a family.
If anyone has firm information to the contrary, please let me know. Though I think I'm kind of relieved that we won't have to successfully sign up twice with healthcare.gov. I would certainly need health insurance if my insurance went through, but DW's hit a snag!
__________________
bamsphd is offline  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #600
Recycles dryer sheets
bamsphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsphd View Post
Looks like I misunderstood the original healthcare.gov chat answer. The relevant part of my latest chat confirms ziggy29's answer that you must apply together, but can have separate plans.
For more details see the thread: ACA: "Recommended Health Plan Groups" (Family versus 2 Individual Policies)
__________________

__________________
bamsphd is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.