ACA sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not too surprising. I've seen mostly old stuff as the risk pool is managed by BCBSTX. But in the payments section it is now showing the new invoice, account balance, etc., much to my relief.

I actually created a new user name and password corresponding to the new member ID and group number, but it still linked me back to my old account. No problem, just a bit odd looking.

Yep, pretty much the same here. I think they link everything by SSN.

Especially if you are dealing with BCBSTX which currently has a 1-2 hour wait time to speak to anyone.
Strange. BCBSFL isn't much different, can also process policy applications with subsidy, yet there is no wait time, and the agents on the phone are well trained and have a decent understanding of the options and details.

I just helped a relative fill out her application online using the state exchange. It worked well. We did have to upload a proof of current income for 2013 since her income has fallen quite a bit compared to the 2012 return. The entire process took about 1/2 hour and that included the time to fish out some old papers we needed to verify that she is who she said she is. She had previously found the plan she wanted.

FWIW, people can also apply on paper using an authorized insurance broker. That's in my state. Federal? I don't know about Federal.

We are out of limbo! DH called Blue Cross today, paid by phone with a credit card, and we are covered for January. We will save over $25K on the premiums alone for a better policy next year with lower out of pocket maxes.

We are out of limbo! DH called Blue Cross today, paid by phone with a credit card, and we are covered for January. We will save over $25K on the premiums alone for a better policy next year with lower out of pocket maxes.

Wow, saving over $25k on premiums alone? That must have been one expensive policy you had!

Wow, saving over $25k on premiums alone? That must have been one expensive policy you had!

Our premiums more than doubled half way through COBRA, then the post COBRA conversion policy cost even more. Pre-ACA it was rough being 50+ in the U.S. with pre-existing conditions without employer sponsored, group health insurance.

We could have gotten a small business policy for less in monthly premiums, but the out of pocket maximums were even higher, and we had one family member that needed an expensive surgery this year. Our family medical expenses for the year with premiums are at $45K so far and counting.

Too bad they don't put first person accounts like mine of people benefiting greatly from the ACA on the cover of Yahoo News more often.

After investigation I see that there is definitely an issue with the site incorrectly placing some folks or children in Medicaid. Becoming the expert I have at filling out applications with the ability to now remove apps I have seen that I can avoid any Medicaid glitch by increasing my estimated income but still keeping it below the 400% threshold.

As such this allows the family to enroll on the marketplace (as it initially was and still should be able to) but with less of a subsidy due to the higher stated estimated income than we are truly entitled to with our actual 2014 income. So as I understand it, if we proceed with this approach then when reporting our actual lower income on 2014 tax return which is still in the allowable subsidy range we will just receive a higher refund? I'm not concerned with the silver plan cost sharing benefits which no longer are indicated on the eligibility letter as we have been looking at bronze HSA policies. Any perspectives on this approach?
So I proceeded to actually enroll in a plan with a new account/application with the higher estimated 2014 income figuring I will get the rest of any due subsidy at tax time. I got all the way to the "Congratulations!" screen with the info in a box indicating that to activate we must pay the first month's premium by the end of December due date. It also noted that the company will contact us in next few days with detailed info on how to pay or visit your health plan online to make payment now if your plan accepts online payments... There was a "Pay For Health Plan" button on the bottom of the screen which I clicked a few times but screen came right back to same place each time so I can only assume (which I hate to do!!!) that BCBS in our state doesn't accept online payments:confused:

When I log back in now to account it shows the app as "Complete" with the ID under it, while the status page shows "Initial Enrollment". Does this all sound correct and based on what I've read from prior member posts I should not wait for BCBS to reach out and instead give them a call on the Customer Service number they provided? Any other ideas as only 20 days and counting to be enrolled and make payment? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When I log back in now to account it shows the app as "Complete" with the ID under it, while the status page shows "Initial Enrollment". Does this all sound correct and based on what I've read from prior member posts I should not wait for BCBS to reach out and instead give them a call on the Customer Service number they provided? Any other ideas as only 20 days and counting to be enrolled and make payment? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Yea, that sounds right. When I enrolled, it showed completed. The payment button was there and then went away. I never heard anything from them and then the first payment invoice showed up. Since it's later in the game I would go ahead and call them, it does take some time for the data to make it over.

So I proceeded to actually enroll in a plan with a new account/application with the higher estimated 2014 income figuring I will get the rest of any due subsidy at tax time. I got all the way to the "Congratulations!" screen with the info in a box indicating that to activate we must pay the first month's premium by the end of December due date. It also noted that the company will contact us in next few days with detailed info on how to pay or visit your health plan online to make payment now if your plan accepts online payments... There was a "Pay For Health Plan" button on the bottom of the screen which I clicked a few times but screen came right back to same place each time so I can only assume (which I hate to do!!!) that BCBS in our state doesn't accept online payments:confused:

That's exactly what happened to me, minus income issues. Same message, same status, same silly button that doesn't work. I called BCBS Monday, they promised to get back with me yesterday, not heard anything. I'll call again tomorrow. I didn't call the generic number they gave me for BCBS, I called the local. I might try the generic number, could it get .........?

MRG

We enrolled on Saturday, two and a half weeks ago. While we were on a road trip this last week, we received enrollment information from Blue Shield and from Covered California. Blue Shield would like our payment, please. :)

That's exactly what I experienced on Dec 2nd.
On Dec 5th BCBS customer service didn't know me.
On Dec 9th they told me they had received my application on the 5th and provided an ID number and told me an invoice would be mailed within a week.
December 11th I got an ID card in the mail along with an assurance that more information would follow.
I still have no invoice, but I'm anticipating one.

Just got my second follow up call from a marketplace rep this morning.

She was able to delete an earlier application that didn't pan out early in the process,
and bring our application up to the point where we decide whether we want to
purchase as a family or as individuals.

We are waiting until January make our final decision for a February start date.

It was recently reported that our state, Wisconsin, has asked to be included in a pilot
program along with Ohio, Florida, and Texas in which individuals would be allowed to
apply subsidies to insurers outside of the marketplace. We are going to wait and
see if Wisconsin is allowed to participate, since there is a policy outside of the
exchange but within our coverage area that offers better out of network coverage.

It was recently reported that our state, Wisconsin, has asked to be included in a pilot
program along with Ohio, Florida, and Texas in which individuals would be allowed to
apply subsidies to insurers outside of the marketplace.

I'd not heard of this. That said, it's not surprising that they use the most populous states in the federal exchange as the "guinea pigs" since that could maximize the reduction of strain on the federal exchange site.

I'd not heard of this. That said, it's not surprising that they use the most populous states in the federal exchange as the "guinea pigs" since that could maximize the reduction of strain on the federal exchange site.

Ziggy, my first thought upon seeing which states were in the pilot program, was that
this was some kind of political maneuvering on the part of both parties, but I can also
see your point about population and reducing the strain on the federal exchange site.

I got the feeling during the call I received this morning that backlogs were being cleared
up and there is an effort underway to elevate the number of people enrolled for December.

Here's a release from HHS on the program. The pilot part of it is in the selected states the issuers will provide detailed experience feedback. The direct enrollment option has always been there.

Direct Enrollment ? One More Option for Accessing Quality Affordable Coverage | HHS.gov/healthcare

we are announcing that issuers in Florida, Texas, and Ohio are ready to participate in a pilot program using this direct enrollment feature, which will help inform our efforts to make this option work better for issuers and consumers in the coming weeks

Whoo Hoo! We have lift off!

I just called Anthem again, after a short wait got a real person, got told my letter is in the mail but was offered a link to pay, got emailed a link by which to pay, and paid.

My enrollment stuff ought to be on its way in a few days. :dance:

You *did* print the receipt, right? :LOL:

The receipt was emailed to me, but no, not printed yet. Chase will also email one.

Oh, and the guy told me I enrolled twice. No, actually I did not. Just the once. :)

Now I can look forward to the welcome package, ID cards, etc. it will be interesting to see how long that takes.

Last edited:
Been waiting since Tuesday for BCBSKC to return my call verifying they received my application.
MRG

Last edited:
.... Pre-ACA it was rough being 50+ in the U.S. with pre-existing conditions without employer sponsored, group health insurance.

True in some areas, but not others. Some states had 'shall-issue' hi-risk pools which ran pretty well by most accounts. Only time will tell if ACA works out better.

That's exactly what I experienced on Dec 2nd.
On Dec 5th BCBS customer service didn't know me.
On Dec 9th they told me they had received my application on the 5th and provided an ID number and told me an invoice would be mailed within a week.
December 11th I got an ID card in the mail along with an assurance that more information would follow.
I still have no invoice, but I'm anticipating one.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to quote myself.
It's probably most helpful if I keep the timeline together so it's easier to follow.
I'm in Pennsylvania and I received my bill from BCBS in the mail today.
The invoice is for the exact amount I anticipated from my application on the federal marketplace website.

Hopefully this news will allow someone else to relax a little as the deadline approaches.

True in some areas, but not others. Some states had 'shall-issue' hi-risk pools which ran pretty well by most accounts. Only time will tell if ACA works out better.
The high-risk pools were dreadfully expensive. My perfectly healthy BIL was in one. It was not much of a solution to the problem of pre-existing conditions.

Here's a release from HHS on the program. The pilot part of it is in the selected states the issuers will provide detailed experience feedback. The direct enrollment option has always been there. Direct Enrollment ? One More Option for Accessing Quality Affordable Coverage | HHS.gov/healthcare we are announcing that issuers in Florida, Texas, and Ohio are ready to participate in a pilot program using this direct enrollment feature, which will help inform our efforts to make this option work better for issuers and consumers in the coming weeks

Blue Cross of Florida has offered this option almost from the beginning of the process.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to quote myself.
It's probably most helpful if I keep the timeline together so it's easier to follow.
I'm in Pennsylvania and I received my bill from BCBS in the mail today.
The invoice is for the exact amount I anticipated from my application on the federal marketplace website.

Hopefully this news will allow someone else to relax a little as the deadline approaches.

Nov 20, 2013 enrolled on federal website. Nov 25 insurance co generates invoice. Dec 3 receive invoice in mail. Premium is exactly what I was expecting. Dec 5, mailed in payment. Waiting for id cards and "welcome packet". ID cards slated to arrive next week, welcome packet sometime during first 2 weeks of January. Finally relaxing somewhat ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom