Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I was able to get back into my application. But now it is giving me costs just for me and not my wife. It even shows us both on the applications, but the quotes are for one person only. This website worked great for me a week ago, but it is getting more messed up everyday. Each time I try to get in I get different results.
Didn't you hear 'their fixing it'. I suppose the velocity of installs has increased due to dates. After lots of rework, code breaks.
Sometimes when I just walk away for a day, things are better. As retired IT, I find it sadly humorous when we expect different.

Best wishes,

MRG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #642
Recycles dryer sheets

Well it is still showing prices only for one person instead of the two of us like it was a week ago. I was ready to signup, but I will wait now.

Anyone else getting prices for only one person even though the plan will be for two?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #643
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well it is still showing prices only for one person instead of the two of us like it was a week ago. I was ready to signup, but I will wait now.

Anyone else getting prices for only one person even though the plan will be for two?
I would probably start over with new email address, user profile, and clear cache (I know someone recently said they didn't have to, but there's no downside).

The broker I spoke with, yesterday, did say if you ask, someone at healthcare.gov will sit with you as you fill out the form. I'm not sure what value they add to the process, but I've been chasing my tail for 6 weeks, so I plan on spreading that joy around.

Best wishes,
MRG
Old 11-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #644
Recycles dryer sheets

2nd Application?

Being something has messed up my original application what will I need to do to start another application? My issue is at the beginning I was shown possible plans for 2 (wife and myself). Now it only shows plans for me even though we are both still shown on the application.

Will I need to do a complete new signup for a new account or just start another application on my original account?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #645
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Being something has messed up my original application what will I need to do to start another application? My issue is at the beginning I was shown possible plans for 2 (wife and myself). Now it only shows plans for me even though we are both still shown on the application. Will I need to do a complete new signup for a new account or just start another application on my original account?
It took me three different sign ups to get actually to the purchase stage. (That's why I think their enrollment numbers are just all screwed up). Don't give up on the first try!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #646
Give me a forum ...

New email, new account on healthcare.gov. I've tried a new application, but it would not let me enter the same people.

MRG
Old 11-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #647
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on rechecking my account for a few more days. If it does not straighten itself out I will create a new account in my wife's name using her email address. It may be better to be in her name anyway being I will switch to Medicare in 3 years where she has 8 years.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #648
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been trying since October to enroll my family of four through the federal website.

Our application has been held up for weeks since I've been waiting to receive a second
call back from one of the navigator experts. I was unable to complete our application
due to needing to submit proof of my income, which was a puzzling request since
I registered myself as a homemaker with no income.

Anyway, after mulling this over for a few weeks, I looked at the drop down menu of
documents that would serve as proof of income, and saw that one of the options is to
submit a statement from the SSA, so I logged onto my SS account, downloaded a copy
of my statement which shows years of zero income and sent a PDF of my statement to
the ACA.

I logged on yesterday afternoon just for kicks and found that I was able to look at plans
in my area, a new development! Since we think that our family of four will have no more than
94k in income next year, we qualified for a 9k subsidy, which brings the cost of a bronze policy
with HSA compatibility down to less than $400 a month. Granted, the deductible is high, and
we would have to pay for doctor visits and prescriptions out of pocket, but we are healthy and
willing to roll the dice, and we can afford to cover the cost of the worst case scenario.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #649
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the website is getting worse. I logged in today and it only had 5 plans for me to choose from instead of the 40 plans before.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #650
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think the website is getting worse. I logged in today and it only had 5 plans for me to choose from instead of the 40 plans before.
I click the logon button and it just sits there doing nothing...I think it's getting worst.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

I logged on this morning and experienced no problem accessing our account. I sympathize
with those who are experiencing problems with access. I did not try to set up alternate
accounts with other email addresses, and used Firefox as my browser. Things have
steadily improved over the two months I have been logging in.

My neighbor successfully established an account in under an hour last week.

I live in Wisconsin which is on the federal exchange.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #652
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You don't need an account to get a peek. Use healthsherpa or Valuepenguin and find the policies available in your area and the premiums you would pay.
Thanks!

So, I looked and saw that it would cost me more for a PPO plan similar to what I have now without a subsidy. My investment income from taxable accounts is low enough to get me some subsidy, but navigating through the hellish web site as other posters described would give me fits. And then, I do not know how to document my projected income for 2014. If they look at my 2012 tax return, I was still working part-time plus had big cap gains then. My income for 2013 is closer to what it will be in 2014, but it is not yet filed.

Still don't know if it is worth the hassle to save a few $K, compared to just keeping my pre-ACA plan for another year.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #653
Give me a forum ...

I didn't have to document my projected income. They just asked what I thought it would be. The only questions after that were if we'd changed jobs since 2012 taxes.

MRG
Old 12-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #654
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I click the logon button and it just sits there doing nothing...I think it's getting worst.
I usually get up around 5AM and try the website out then. This morning it worked pretty good and I have most of my plan options back up. It is still showing only the quotes for me instead of quotes for the two of us. There is also a new feature where you can remove your application and start another one.

I am using Google Chrome, but may check Firefox tomorrow also to see if anything is different.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #655
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I didn't have to document my projected income. They just asked what I thought it would be. The only questions after that were if we'd changed jobs since 2012 taxes. MRG

Same here. I only had to estimate our income for 2014.
We were asked what the source of income would be, and "retirement income" was
one of the options. I made my best guess as to what it would be, since the breadwinner
will begin retirement next February.
We received a pretty good subsidy, but only time will tell how well that will work out
since we are covering four family members on our plan and for the purposes of
calculating the subsidy, all four incomes will be taken into account once our taxes
are figured out for 2014.
One of the steps I had to take before choosing a plan was to elect to apply the subsidy
now or wait until taxes are settled for 2014. I opted to apply it now.
Should be an interesting year.
Overall, I am pleased with the process and am hoping for a happy and healthy 2014.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #656
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am using Google Chrome, but may check Firefox tomorrow also to see if anything is different.
Try Chrome's incognito format.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #657
Dryer sheet aficionado

Complete frustration - so healthcare.gov now has ability to remove a stuck application which after 4 weeks of waiting for my frozen app to be resolved I decided to take advantage of this new option earlier tonight.

Everything went fine as you maintain your email and identity verification information from the original application but you have to reenter family and income info. However, when I received our new eligibility notice it incorrectly indicated that we now qualify for Medicaid versus a subsidy as we had during initial application. The income amounts entered were correct and clearly exceed the Medicaid level for a family of four as with the original application but now app status shows as Complete and our info will be sent to the state Medicaid agency.

I looked to see if there was a way to remove this app and try once again but since the app is considered complete this option is no longer available. There is a notice that "if you need to cancel your enrollment, go to your "Plans & Programs" and select 'Terminate All Coverage' from your Plan Details" but as I think everyone would guess the terminate coverage option doesn't even exist.

There are "Remove" selection buttons next to each family member name to remove them from the plan and indicates "to remove someone from a plan, you need to change your application to show they're no longer applying for coverage", BUT as you can next imagine this option then takes you to a "Report a Life Change" screen option which states coming soon and check back next month.

So now I'm not sure what to do as we clearly do not qualify for Medicaid and who knows how long the tech folks will take to fix the change aspect of the application and if that will even work for this case. The 800 number folks were clueless and the first rep said I could always go and appeal the determination which is simply ludicrous at this point having already received a correct prior subsidy determination for same income that was entered previously.

So any thoughts with a "supposed" completed incorrect enrollment in Medicaid is it now possible to still go in and do an entire new application with new email, identity verification, etc. or do we have to wait to change the app or what other option exists?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #658
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear of those errors. Last week before the 'remove' option existed I created email ids and created new accounts when the site messed up. That would be my next attempt. Also you can request to speak with a supervisor, they seem to be more knowledgeable than the front line folks.

Best wishes,
MRG
Old 12-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #659
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am now thinking I won't be doing the ACA. I also still don't have the 'approval' for a subsidy,even though the phone rep said last week, I should be approved..But,even with painfully waiting for that, I see to get the subsidy, I have to chose a Silver Plan. and those deductibles are huge. I want a Gold Plan. I also see that Vision is not included (at least in the plans I painfully looked at). So my happiness at the end of last week is now replaced with the stress of hoping my past employer will take me back, since I cancelled what I had signed up for last week. Now I just need to search for a decent dental, on einsurance...or somewhere.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #660
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Sorry to hear of those errors. Last week before the 'remove' option existed I created email ids and created new accounts when the site messed up. That would be my next attempt. Also you can request to speak with a supervisor, they seem to be more knowledgeable than the front line folks.

Best wishes,
MRG
Thanks, I spoke to a supervisor who told me to wait for app change. I'm thinking I may have to proceed with a new email, id, etc. but not sure what happens if already have a completed application out there for Medicaid?