Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #761
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post
I just received computerized call on my landline from (412) 315-0811 claiming it was from BCBS NC. Coincidence?

I did a reverse lookup and it appears to be a scammer, several complaints already:

Find Telemarketers with 412-315 Numbers | Report Telemarketing Calls

My guess is that the Marketplace is leaking data. Whaddya think?
It's possible, but I think it's more likely that the scammer is just blanketing the area where they know that BCBS is likely the most common carrier hoping to get as many 'hits' as possible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post

It's possible, but I think it's more likely that the scammer is just blanketing the area where they know that BCBS is likely the most common carrier hoping to get as many 'hits' as possible.
Very possible they're hitting the area. We're in a metro area, there's only two insurance company's playing. BCBS has been actively advertising here. Wouldn't take much to just robo-call.
MRG

Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #763
Give me a forum ...

Well, we are enrolled in exchange insurance and waiting for the bill from our new insurance company. Our old policy was canceled so I feel like we are in health insurance limbo now until we can make the payment.

We'll follow up this week to see if the insurance company received our enrollment form. If they don't have our enrollment forms on file I am not sure what plan B will be.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #764
Full time employment: Posting here.

Applied for insurance on Nov 14 and received letter from BCBS today for first payment for Jan 2014. All and all not a bad process. Worst part was expecting a problem given all the bad press/stories on signing up.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #765
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
Yes itís possible theyíre blanketing the area. But my landline # is not listed anywhere, so whoever stole the # must have got it from a legitimate source. In fact this is the first illegal call Iíve eve received on this #. Iím gonna call the provider and see if they can trace it and report it to the FBI. With so much spying in this country, tracing this scammer should be a piece of cake?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #766
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes itís possible theyíre blanketing the area. But my landline # is not listed anywhere, so whoever stole the # must have got it from a legitimate source. In fact this is the first illegal call Iíve eve received on this #. Iím gonna call the provider and see if they can trace it and report it to the FBI. With so much spying in this country, tracing this scammer should be a piece of cake?
They don't need your number. If its a scam, they may just have some software dialing every number, 555-0000, 555-0001, etc, until it gets a live body. I don't think a scammer would really care that they could be violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #767
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
They don't need your number. If its a scam, they may just have some software dialing every number, 555-0000, 555-0001, etc, until it gets a live body. I don't think a scammer would really care that they could be violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Yep, what's more, the call probably originated from outside the US and the originating number was spoofed. Telephone via Internet has made international phone scams common.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
I don't think a scammer would really care that they could be violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Especially since they are probably calling from out of the country.

[edit to add: Just got an invoice in the mail today, and the BCBSTX website now has an option to pay when I log in. Due date isn't until January 1, which surprises me a bit since I thought you had to be enrolled and paid by December 15 23.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Especially since they are probably calling from out of the country.

[edit to add: Just got an invoice in the mail today, and the BCBSTX website now has an option to pay when I log in. Due date isn't until January 1, which surprises me a bit since I thought you had to be enrolled and paid by December 15 23.)
The new dates are: enrolled by Dec 23, paid by Jan 1.

Maybe my husband's invoice will show up in the mail today. It's way behind mine, even though he signed up only two days later, and I got mine in late Nov.

Anyway - we're going to pay it today through the website - the invoice is there on the website.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #770
Give me a forum ...

Well - we tried to pay my husband's online, but got the message "Premium could not be submitted" and to call the billing phone# which I know has like an hour wait!

It's very likely that he couldn't pay because he is already set up for automatic bank draft. I just wish they would say that, and that the invoice would state "do not pay will be automatically drafted" or some such language.

Also, his up to date drafts on his current policy are shown in "payment history" - same bank account.

Who knows? We'll probably call in a few days to talk to someone in billing. He also needs to make sure they quit drafting payments on the old policy. I was told a month ago that they would use the social security number to avoid double billing - i.e. multiple policies on the same person.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Who knows? We'll probably call in a few days to talk to someone in billing. He also needs to make sure they quit drafting payments on the old policy. I was told a month ago that they would use the social security number to avoid double billing - i.e. multiple policies on the same person.
Yeah, I've noticed my details are in a state of transition because I have a short term policy through the end of the year and a new one starting on 1/1/2014. At times I'm seeing details about my coverage as it is now and at times I'm seeing it as it will be on January 1. Odd.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #772
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my invoice and thought great, I'll go online and pay it, be done with it. So I got the insurers site to create my online account. It says it can't find me, I was using what I thought was my member ID on the invoice. So I called the insurers help line... "Well our system is backed up due to volume so it may not have you in the system yet" hmmmm.... I started to ask how did the system send me an invoice if I wasn't in it, but figured that was futile. This is why I rarely ever call a help line.

I looked closer at the invoice, there typically is a computer generated alpha/numeric string that has all info in it. Found it on the bottom of the invoice, decoded it, found a number identical to the printed member ID with two additional digits. Went back to the account creation page and used that, BINGO welcome... checked my info to be correct, went to the payment page and made first payment and printed the receipt.

Never be thwarted by a "Help" line
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Never be thwarted by a "Help" line
Especially if you are dealing with BCBSTX which currently has a 1-2 hour wait time to speak to anyone.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #774
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes it’s possible they’re blanketing the area. But my landline # is not listed anywhere, so whoever stole the # must have got it from a legitimate source. In fact this is the first illegal call I’ve eve received on this #. I’m gonna call the provider and see if they can trace it and report it to the FBI. With so much spying in this country, tracing this scammer should be a piece of cake?
There is a Federal agency you can report such calls to. It's not the FBI, it's the FTC. At any rate what you'll likely find is that they ask for information you are unable to provide. Just giving you a heads up so you don't get too frustrated. You can start here....Telemarketing Scams | Consumer Information

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed my details are in a state of transition because I have a short term policy through the end of the year and a new one starting on 1/1/2014. At times I'm seeing details about my coverage as it is now and at times I'm seeing it as it will be on January 1. Odd.
That's not too surprising. I've seen mostly old stuff as the risk pool is managed by BCBSTX. But in the payments section it is now showing the new invoice, account balance, etc., much to my relief.

I actually created a new user name and password corresponding to the new member ID and group number, but it still linked me back to my old account. No problem, just a bit odd looking.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's not too surprising. I've seen mostly old stuff as the risk pool is managed by BCBSTX. But in the payments section it is now showing the new invoice, account balance, etc., much to my relief.

I actually created a new user name and password corresponding to the new member ID and group number, but it still linked me back to my old account. No problem, just a bit odd looking.
Yep, pretty much the same here. I think they link everything by SSN.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #777
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Especially if you are dealing with BCBSTX which currently has a 1-2 hour wait time to speak to anyone.
My daughter told me she sat on hold with BCBS TX for 3 hours and then got disconnected. What is it with these people?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #778

Quote:
Strange. BCBSFL isn't much different, can also process policy applications with subsidy, yet there is no wait time, and the agents on the phone are well trained and have a decent understanding of the options and details.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #779
Give me a forum ...

I just helped a relative fill out her application online using the state exchange. It worked well. We did have to upload a proof of current income for 2013 since her income has fallen quite a bit compared to the 2012 return. The entire process took about 1/2 hour and that included the time to fish out some old papers we needed to verify that she is who she said she is. She had previously found the plan she wanted.

FWIW, people can also apply on paper using an authorized insurance broker. That's in my state. Federal? I don't know about Federal.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #780
Give me a forum ...

We are out of limbo! DH called Blue Cross today, paid by phone with a credit card, and we are covered for January. We will save over $25K on the premiums alone for a better policy next year with lower out of pocket maxes.