Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We haven't gotten our cards yet. But since we can print temporary cards (good for 10 days) from the BCBSTX website I'm not too worried.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #862
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've called twice about not getting our cards or plan booklet yet. I've been told twice that they are coming.

Our 2013 insurer is the same as our insurer for 2014. They told me I can see all the new info on 1-1-14 but until then we will only see our current plan. Whatever.... it's a HDHP so it's not like I need to know details, I know it's all our costs for a long time, hopefully all year.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We haven't gotten our cards yet. But since we can print temporary cards (good for 10 days) from the BCBSTX website I'm not too worried.
Can you? I needed the suffix in order to create an online account. The suffix was only on the card. I should have guessed it '00'.
MRG
Old 12-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #864
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Can you? I needed the suffix in order to create an online account. The suffix was only on the card. I should have guessed it '00'.
MRG
For BCBSTX you just need the group ID and member ID to create an account along with matching name, address, etc. I received that info in a letter right away and was able to create a new account.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #865

We received our cards in the mail Friday. Also received 4 copies each of the welcome pack, which is a 6 page privacy notice and 4 pages of state mandated stuff.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #866
Recycles dryer sheets

Hooray Hooray I got a bill today!!!
I have until the 31st to get my payment in. My account never showed up on the Kaizer schedule so I had healthcare.gov redo it on 12/6. Just now got the acknowledgement from insurance. System overload at all levels.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #867
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have been trying to sign up all day long... without success...

I get an error that the verification system is not working, but should be within 24 hours...

The bad part of the site is that you have to go through ALL screens again before you get to the place you need to be...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #868
Give me a forum ...

Texas Proud - wasn't the sign-up deadline Dec 23rd?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #869
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas Proud - wasn't the sign-up deadline Dec 23rd?
Nope, they extended it another day...

I just found out that the short term policy that I had applied to was not accepted... so now I scramble...
Old 12-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Nope, they extended it another day...

I just found out that the short term policy that I had applied to was not accepted... so now I scramble...
Ouch, Best of luck!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #871
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife took charge after I threw the phone and mouse across the room several times. My blood pressure went off the charts. Never in my 66 years have ever run into something this confusing. I called probable 30 times and never once got the same answer. I give up on the broke website long time ago.
My wife was accepted with United Health care for the five months she needs it until she turns 65 in June. She has never been sick so she pays only $300 per month. After that Medicare. I wish all you young people good luck with this mess. The stress alone will kill many people just dealing with something this confusing. If I had better health myself we would move to another country. I am not very happy with the USA right now. Happy New Year. oldtrig
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
If I had better health myself we would move to another country.
I am next year. Moving to Alabama. Of course that joke is used on MS too. Actually just moving part time so will still be a MS resident.

I was fortunate to be able to keep my current BCBS policy until 12/31/14. Hopefully some of the kinks will be worked out by next open enrollment. And I also hope I will have more options. In my area there is only one insurer and the network is very limited. Beats nothing if you have no insurance, but a major step backwards if you do have a good network with your old policy.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #873
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday we got a bill for $-354 from Blue Shield and enough cards for half the family. I am going to write a check for $-354 and see what happens.

The invoice detail had the right monthly premium amount for our family plan, but listed a "child only" description on the invoice. DH tried to login to the Blue Shield site and got a database error.

So all in all I'd say we are making progress. This must be overwhelming their customer service staff. Every piece of paper we (and all the other subscribers) get sent with errors means another call to a live person to confirm our information on file is actually correct.

So there is no turning back for us now. Our old plan was canceled and California didn't allow canceled plans to be extended, so all we can do is push through on this one and hope we are all covered. We did save the sign up screen with all of us listed and our charge card was billed (3 times) so I think we are insured, but the child only description on the bill was disturbing.

There has to be some point where we are unquestionably all covered and have cards, but it looks like that isn't going to be this week.

It seemed crazy not to let the old plans be extended when sign up for the exchange plans is not yet fully working properly.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #874
Recycles dryer sheets

I am guilty of getting worked up over simple things sometimes. Everybody that knows me will tell you I am not leaving the USA. I just wish things would change so my grandchildren can have as good a life as I had. We are not heading that way as I see it right now but maybe there is hope. I do agree that something has to be done with US health care or it will be over the cliff very soon. I will wait and see how all this takes place.

My mother who passed away 34 years ago never had health insurance in her life. She died at age 63. She was sick a lot and in an out of hospitals the last several years of her life but yet my dad was able to pay with cash. Not sure how we did it back then because nobody in our family had insurance .
Something changed over the years and I am not sure what but it seems today everyone is stressed out over health insurance. What about long term care? They can take everything you got if a member of your family has to be put in a Extended Care or Assisted Living Facility yet I never hear anyone mention that.

People are stressed over this new law and most will never even have to use the insurance. How many people just go to the doctor because you have insurance? when it you would waited then things probably would heal on it own. It sort of like well I pay those high premiums so I might as well just go to the doctor.
I had to make a trip to our local emergency room a while back. First time in probably 30 years and I was shocked on who all was sitting in there. Most probably did not have insurance so they just waited until all the doctors office closed and went and knew they would never have to pay anything. I doubt that is going to change but lets hope it does.

Like I mentioned the new law is not going to affect me and my wife only have to have insurance for a few months so I probably got worked up over nothing. Heck, its Christmas so Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all. oldtrig
Old 12-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #875
Give me a forum ...

Oldtrig many valid points. I think the reason folks don't talk about LTC issues (there are a couple threads here), is the fear of all what comes with it.

FWIW back in 2009, at least one elder friendly state had laws that allowed a spouse to sign off on family assets. Of course we dont talk about states that allow nursing homes to come after heirs even if the elder is indigent.
MRG
Old 12-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #876
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, oldtrig has a point. Back a few years ago, medical insurance for me and DW was much simpler.

We'd just fill out an application, itemize every medical problem we have had in the past 10 years, indicate which problems we did or did not have on a few pages of checklists, and send in the application. In a few weeks we'd get a letter from the insurer telling us we were declined for coverage, and that was that. No muss, no fuss. No insurance, either. (So we stayed on our expensive COBRA coverage...)

But it was simpler...
Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #877
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
... My mother who passed away 34 years ago never had health insurance in her life. She died at age 63. She was sick a lot and in an out of hospitals the last several years of her life but yet my dad was able to pay with cash. Not sure how we did it back then because nobody in our family had insurance .
Something changed over the years and I am not sure what but it seems today everyone is stressed out over health insurance...
I have an older friend who's about your age. He also said that his family never did have health insurance as he grew up. His father was a low-wage earner, a "laborer" as he described it, and yet they were able to cover all medical costs with cash.

So, what changed? Perhaps a lot of it has to do with modern medicine now offering all kinds of treatments that did not exist before. There was no colonoscopy for example. And then, if you had cancer, they told you to go home and wait to die. Now, there are all kinds of fancy drugs, some cost $100K just to keep the patient alive for another month, in a miserable condition at that. Yet, we as a society want to have that. Unlimited lifetime coverage. So, we'll have to pay.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #878
Moderator Emeritus

I think I am about the OP's age. My father never had medical insurance working as a coal miner in the 1930's. I never met either of my grandfather's as they died before I was born (they were miners too). Even if they had medical treatment, I'm not sure it would have helped them live longer.

Thinking back, I didn't know what medical insurance was until I got out of the military in 1968 after a tour in an unfriendly country and went to work for a private company. Of course, I was lucky in my youth and never really got sick or hit with a bullet.

Like NW-Bound says above, we want full medical coverage, meds, and screenings, but those come with a cost to those that can afford to pay. There are others in the U.S. who can get this for free, but we don't talk about them like we don't care to discuss LTC, ot lack of it here.

I currently have a close brother-in-law my age diagnosed with a very serious cancer who has insurance and is stage 4. He visited and stayed with us two weeks ago as he had a consultation with M.D. Anderson as a last resort. No good news.... and the cost of the newly prescribed meds and different chemo treatment to get that extra two weeks of miserable feeling life are going to be several thousand dollars.

I am fortunate to be in good health and on Medicare with possibly the absolute best Medigap policy one can buy (Plan F (full)). Even with that, a run with cancer or some other really bad actor, can make you forget about a lot of stuff.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #879
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ouch, Best of luck!

So far, not having it.... I keep getting caught at the same place... but have printed out the screen to prove that I was there... they say that if it was their fault they will still sign you up...

However, I still need to call and find out if this is true or not...

I will also call ehealthcare and see what they can do... that is where I tried for the short term policy... but being the holiday, nobody is open anywhere....
Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #880
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that all the modern things that doctors use today were not around back when I grew up. My point is this? How many more years are all these modern things getting us? I am talking about old people, not the young.

My FIL would have died at 79 instead of 89 but he had a terrible 10 years with modern medicine keeping him alive. How many know people that have been told they have stage four cancer and actually had the same quality of life they had before the diagnosis ? not many.

My grandfather lived to be 84. Never went to a doctor in his life . Was born in 1881. He did spend a few years in a long term care facility as it seems no one in my dads family wanted to put up with him. It was actually sad watching that happen to a very proud man but that's life.

That's why I do not want to live after I reach really old age if I am not able to care for myself. Young people tend to just throw us aside.

I look back now and see that everyone of my fathers brothers and sisters including him had to money and time to take care of my grandfather yet they did not want their busy lived interrupted. I doubt much has changed today. We get old and tossed aside. In the end we all die.

It is really a shame that we can all work and save all our life and have to be put in a long care home and they take everything we got with no pity.

I have much preferred our government to make a place for people over 55 to go and not leave our family's broke if we need long term care. That's a much bigger gamble not having any long term care insurance than regular health insurance yet all I see today is people in a panic say gosh I got to have health insurance. We could do like others leave the bill for somebody else to pay.

I am currently working on a plan to make sure my family is protected in case I ever need long term care. I am a veteran and live 2 miles from a veterans home so that plan one. The problem is finding room.

I also will tell people here that this new health care law is not going to make that 32 year old in good health purchase insurance. I have had many tell me they will just pay the penalty come tax time. Sure this plan sound good on paper but it will never work like they tell us it will. My opinion only so don't kick me out of her for expressing my opinion. Take what I say or just do not read it. over and out. oldtrig