ACA sign Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since yesterday afternoon, I hang at the login screen. I enter user ID and password, it thinks for a while, and then... gives me the login again. I know it's authenticating because when I intentionally enter a bad password, it tells me so.

Is anyone getting past the login screen now? Is this just me?
I was able to log in. It even invited me to reenter the same information I had previously entered. :facepalm: It sticks at the same point as before, though, which is DW's naturalization document. I'm not going to try again until I have that, and no telling when that will be.

Since yesterday afternoon, I hang at the login screen. I enter user ID and password, it thinks for a while, and then... gives me the login again. I know it's authenticating because when I intentionally enter a bad password, it tells me so.

Is anyone getting past the login screen now? Is this just me?

Nope I've waited 4 days for a new password email. Will call later today, ask again. Probably start looking at new email as someone had suggested.

MRG

Nope I've waited 4 days for a new password email. Will call later today, ask again. Probably start looking at new email as someone had suggested.

MRG

If you always hang at the login over a number of days, you probably need to use a new email and make a new account. I had one account with that problem that would not resolve. Yet, as soon as I made a new account I was able to login and everything worked fine (well, as best as it could). It seems some accounts get stuck with no apparent way to fix them.

Today may not be a good day though. I am seeing the downstream error when I login which may mean they are having some serious load or connectivity problems. I haven't seen that message much since opening day.

One note, if you aren't going to get a subsidy, there isn't much reason to use the marketplace. Just go directly to the insurance company and save yourself from this agony.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post .... Hadn't heard from anyone else who'd gotten to that point yet so didn't know if it was just me hanging out in limbo or whether things were still going forward. Still no real idea but I guess there is some comfort in numbers!

From a few phone calls I just made about it, this still seems to be the time of waiting for the insurance company to setup the new policy. It could even take a week or two. It's hard to tell for sure because nobody seems to know. :facepalm:

Last edited:
So now I called, and told him where I was and his "solution" was...?

Just keep trying the web site until you eventually get in. No help with confirming I was verified, no help getting me signed up, no help giving me the options I'll have in the Exchange... nothing. There's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back.

So when he asked "Did I answer your questions" at the end of the call, I told him to put "no" in the call notes.

The agent tried to tell me the actuarial value of a policy determined how much of my premium dollar was spent on healthcare expenses. She stated that for a 60% actuarial value policy, Humana spent 60% of the premium on healthcare-related costs and the other 40% went to overhead, etc.

She might be confusing things. Overall the company can only spend 20% on overhead etc.

But an actuarial value at the plan level, say of 70% (silver plan), means that for a standard population, the plan will pay 70% of their health care expenses, while the enrollees themselves will pay 30% through some combination of deductibles, copays, and coinsurance.

60% would be bronze, 70% silver, 80% gold, 90% platinum. Then there are also the 73%, 87%, and 94% silver plans if you have copay assistance based on income.

So one meaning has to do with the company expenses in aggregate and overhead. The other relates what % the insurance companies will pay in relation to how much individuals will pay on average of their expected annual health care expenses in out of pocket amounts.

Last edited:
Ziggy, I've been asked every time to take a survey, I always do. I've been able to kindly let the rep. know I'm doing that. Not sure if it makes them more helpful, probably does not hurt.

Of course these folks on the front lines, their BS buckets may be getting full.

MRG

Ziggy, I've been asked every time to take a survey, I always do. I've been able to kindly let the rep. know I'm doing that. Not sure if it makes them more helpful, probably does not hurt.

Of course these folks on the front lines, their BS buckets may be getting full.

MRG

Oh, I know. I was very polite but did express my frustration with the entire process. When the website fails it tells you to try calling for faster service. So I do, and was just told "keep trying the web site." Really?

She might be confusing things. Overall the company can only spend 20% on overhead etc.

But an actuarial value at the plan level, say of 70% (silver plan), means that for a standard population, the plan will pay 70% of their health care expenses, while the enrollees themselves will pay 30% through some combination of deductibles, copays, and coinsurance.

60% would be bronze, 70% silver, 80% gold, 90% platinum. Then there are also the 73%, 87%, and 94% silver plans if you have copay assistance based on income.

So one meaning has to do with the company expenses in aggregate and overhead. The other relates what % the insurance companies will pay in relation to how much individuals will pay on average of their expected annual health care expenses in out of pocket amounts.

By a bit of surfing the web I found out that the percent levels are based upon the average spending on the federal employees health plan of 4600 or so. So the idea is based on the concept that if you spent 4600 on health care you would pay 40, 30,20,or 10% of the amount your self. Since there is an out of pocket limit if for example you had $1,000,000 in medical bills you would pay .6% out of pocket. I had wondered what the basis for the percentages was and after a couple of hours found a post telling actuaries what the base amount was for the percentages.

By a bit of surfing the web I found out that the percent levels are based upon the average spending on the federal employees health plan of 4600 or so. So the idea is based on the concept that if you spent 4600 on health care you would pay 40, 30,20,or 10% of the amount your self. Since there is an out of pocket limit if for example you had $1,000,000 in medical bills you would pay .6% out of pocket. I had wondered what the basis for the percentages was and after a couple of hours found a post telling actuaries what the base amount was for the percentages.

Interesting. Thanks. I knew the Humana rep but I didn't know all these details.

Could not sign on at all this morning, all I got was page and server type errors. I just tried again this afternoon and I could login but now my ID verification status is no longer "pending", now it's back to unverified. So I uploaded my drivers license again.

Now it won't let me see previously entered info in my application. What a mess.

On the positive side, by googling the name of a plan I'm interested in (found it on the http://www.legalconsumer.com site) I found what appears to be one of the silver plans with the cost sharing subsidies that we should be eligible for. If this is really an available plan for us I'd be very pleased. We are at 246% FPL.

This plan is a silver plan for 200%-250%.
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_...db3c6c7a/mhico_silver_subsidy_200_250_fpl.pdf

They also have a plan for 150%-200%
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_...28c39bd6/mhico_silver_subsidy_150_200_fpl.pdf

And here's 100%-150%
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_...a956d930/mhico_silver_subsidy_100_150_fpl.pdf

For comparison here's the same plan but without the cost sharing subsidy for incomes over 250% FPL
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_...56521ee9/mhico_market_classic_2000_silver.pdf

I posted these so that you can see how the cost sharing subsidies effect a plan. Of course, this is one state, one insurance company. I happened to look into this company because it's where we currently have our very expensive (very comprehensive) retiree insurance and except for the cost and lack of choice (decided by the pension plan) we've been pleased with the handling of claims and availability of doctors in the network.

Your Mileage May Vary.......

Last edited:
Thanks to all that have posted ways to get information outside of the official site and ideas on how to work around issues.

I looked at plans in my area, prices seemed ok, with or without subsidies. One thing I noticed on even the 'gold' plans was the copays on prescriptions. Wow tier 3 at $80 - $120. Tier 4-5 just percentages. Maybe I missed something, and I can't find the list to know what my meds tier is. I guess the total out of pocket kicks in, that may help my decisions.

MRG

Each time I see the screen that tells me there are lots of visitors and to please wait. So, i do other things on the computer until it lets me in. I can never get past the registration. After putting in all the information and answering three security questions, it tells me the system is unable to process my registration right then - or something like that.

Because our health insurance is with a state teachers' pension group plan (not subsidized) and October is open season month or whatever they call it - DH and i have only until the end of October to make a decision...go with exchange or stick with present plan (which increases $250/month in January 2014).

Am anxious to actually log in and learn more about the (bottom line) of what we can get through the exchange. Once we leave the state group plan, we can never go back to it. Makes me a tad nervous.

So, like many of you, I was able to make it through the application process as far as confirming my identity. In spite of the NSA supposedly knowing all about our lives .....the ACA site couldn't verify my identity.
I uploaded a photo of my drivers license and am waiting to be told that I am indeed who I say I am.
In the meantime..a letter from my health insurer (Med. Mutual) arrived today with the cheery news that I have until Oct. 28th to renew coverage at $641.00/mo. at our current $5000.00 deductible (each). This would be our new monthly premium starting in Dec.
Med. Mutual gave an 800 number to call to discuss policies and premiums. I am going to try that tomorrow to see what's available and if we do qualify for any type of help.
The thing I don't like is the Oct. 28 deadline to renew.

Each time I see the screen that tells me there are lots of visitors and to please wait. So, i do other things on the computer until it lets me in. I can never get past the registration. After putting in all the information and answering three security questions, it tells me the system is unable to process my registration right then - or something like that. Because our health insurance is with a state teachers' pension group plan (not subsidized) and October is open season month or whatever they call it - DH and i have only until the end of October to make a decision...go with exchange or stick with present plan (which increases $250/month in January 2014). Am anxious to actually log in and learn more about the (bottom line) of what we can get through the exchange. Once we leave the state group plan, we can never go back to it. Makes me a tad nervous.

That's similar to our situation. Our current Insurance is through DHs pension system with open enrollment ending 10-31-13, also no re-enrollment if he opts out. But I did learn that if he opts out before 1-1-14 he would be able to re-enroll one time. Before we make any decision that will be set in stone I will double check that. The only reason to need to re-enroll would be because they plan on having a Medicare Connector program with an allowance at age 65. Will that still be there in 2020 when DH is 65? Big Unknown.

Getting answers about future benefits is almost as challenging as trying to get info from healthcare.gov.

Why not just enroll in your current insurance. Exchange enrollment is open till 03/31 so you still enroll and drop your old plan then.

hmmmmm...i need to ask that question.

Was under the impression we could not drop, add, or make any changes except during open enrollment month.

Thanks for the idea.

I too am frustrated with the ID verification and Healthcare.gov website. In NH where I live there is only one provider, Anthem BC/BS. They have a couple of Bronze plans, both are better than my current $5000 deductible HDHP and both are HSA eligible. My current HDHP policy has been canceled as of 12/31 due to the ACA. I am currently paying $447 a month for it. The Bronze plan with a $3500 deductible is $443 without subsidy. If we get close to the deadline of 12/15 I'll probably buy direct from Anthem to avoid not having any coverage come 1/1/14. If Healthcare.gov and the ACA work great, I'll cancel and buy it again with a subsidy hopefully by 3/31/14. If that doesn't work I will still be paying $440 plus a month.

I have not tried to generate an account yet on the Healthcare.gov site based on all the issues I have seen. I did call BC/BS in AZ to ask them what I needed to do since I have my HI coverage thru them. They told me I would still be on my current high deductible plan ($182/mo) until May 2014 which will be 1 year after I ER'ed. They told me they would send me a reminder in April that I need to choose a plan from the HI Market Place. If I did nothing they would automatically move me to a BC/BS "Essential" plan that would increase my premiums to $348/mo, but with a lower deductible then I have now. This is also before any subsidy. I have no income other then dividends which will be under $25K so I will be eligible for a subsidy. I did go to the Kaiser subsidy Cal and it told me my premiums for a "silver" plan would be $144/mo after Gov subsidy. Not sure how accurate this will be when I finally sign up. The BC/BS rep told be that I did not have to crate a account on the Healthcare web site until March so I'm going to wait until things cool off and they get these bugs fixed.

My questions to the forum is:
1) Does the BC/BS rep know that they are talking about?
2) Has anyone looked at how this would change their 401K/tIRA conversion to ROTH strategy to save on future taxes? Is it better to take the HI subsidy or convert to ROTH which would reduce the subsidy to 0 if above the 400% PL?

My ID is still not verified so I called Experian again, they said everything is fine and verified on their end and I should call The Marketplace and ask them to reset my ID verification status.

So I called HealthCare.gov and asked them to do that. First representative didn't understand my request, she transferred me to a supervisor. That one told me to reset my password and that would clear it up. No, my password is fine, I'm in my account, it's the ID verification that Experian said I should ask you to reset. Go ahead and reset password to see if that helps. Easy enough but it didn't fix my issue. She transferred me.........and I got hung up on.

I must be a sucker for punishment, I called right back. Explained it all again. This one said to go ahead online and try to verify your identity. Well, you can't just navigate to the end where the ID verification is, you have to go through the entire application. But I was on hold anyway so I go through the application. Some info is there, some info needs to be input again. I'm still not Alaskan or Aleutian, still not disabled or have dependents.

Thankfully the income info is still there but I have to input the employer info again. Finally the summary and ID verification. No questions this time, just the place to upload a document. Done.

She comes back to see if I'm still waiting and I ask if I can navigate to the end of the application info instead of putting it in again every time I visit the site and she says she doesn't know, she's never been to the application part of the site. Really. More hold time.

Representative comes back and tells me that they do not have the ability to reset the ID verification, she doesn't know why Experian said that. Due to the large volume of website users there are a lot of "glintches" (not glitches) in the system and that she can't help me at this time. Instead she will escalate my call and someone will call me back within 3 business days. She asked me to verify my number and by this time I'm a little perturbed so I asked her what number she had to call me back. She read me some number I never heard of. Oh, yeah, I can certainly count on you returning my call when you don't even know who I am.

Cleared up the phone number issue and she said to expect a call. I asked to be sent to the survey (I had declined at the beginning of the call). Got transferred and then disconnected.

I'm done for the day.

Last edited:
Different browsers.

Different operating systems -- Mac, Windows and Ubuntu.

Different computers.

Emptied cache and cookies.

Same problem everywhere.
I just checked, was able to log in, and also could get to the new account set-up in less than a minute. Maybe try a new account with a new username (I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom