Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It appears I have been able to submit our application on the Exchange.

I have identity verification issues so I was required to upload identity information. I sent a scanned page that included my passport, my DL, and my substitute teacher ID card.

I tried to upload this file on the second day but I could never get it to work. It worked tonight.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I think this is what you're looking for

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-plan-information/
I downloaded the spreadsheet linked on this page. Does anyone know why Virginia has such high prices?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

I registered early this morning and started an application. I did not complete the application as I used estimated income amounts assuming I would be retired at this year end.

Do you have to complete an application b/4 you can see the various plans available? I can't find a way to see what insurers are available and the costs.

Appreciate any help on accessing information and costs without completing an application.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #124
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I registered early this morning and started an application. I did not complete the application as I used estimated income amounts assuming I would be retired at this year end.

Do you have to complete an application b/4 you can see the various plans available? I can't find a way to see what insurers are available and the costs.

Appreciate any help on accessing information and costs without completing an application.
Try a site called value penguin. It should easily show you plans and subsidies. Out of pocket assistance does not seem to be reflected though.

Combine that with the kaiser calculator. If your income shows you are eligible for a plan with an actuarial value of more than 70%, that should also mean lower out of pocket with silver plans.

On the federal exchange, you can see a spreadsheet type listing you can filter out to see a broad overview of the plans and sample rates (see post above yours).

There is also a FAQ elsewhere on this forum with many helpful links as well.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I downloaded the spreadsheet linked on this page. Does anyone know why Virginia has such high prices?
I saw something about Virginia being an outlier because originally it included cost for bariatric surgery, maybe that is what you are seeing. it was mentioned here

Marketplace Plans Vary Widely In Costs, Within Counties And Across The Country - Kaiser Health News
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Florida. This morning, I was finally able to log into the federal site and enter data including income. I got a message that they couldn't verify my identity. I was able to upload a PDF of my driver's license. I still can't see any plan info yet. I tried to do a chat but gave up after 15 minutes in the queue. The site is still pretty buggy - e.g., after entering all my contact info, I went back to the screen to verify my identity and they asked for name, address, and DOB again. The good news is I have an application on file and I could log in. They're making progress, but still have a way to go.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What if you don't have a scanner/printer? How are people suppose to upload identification information? Sorry if already discussed. I guess I could go to my old employer and scan there and email back to me to save on my PC.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
What if you don't have a scanner/printer? How are people suppose to upload identification information? Sorry if already discussed. I guess I could go to my old employer and scan there and email back to me to save on my PC.
I would imagine many people are not computer literate enough as well. They would go to a support center and get navigator assistance.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We used to take up close digital photos, down load to PC.

MRG
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #130

Quote:
You might check and see if the library has a pc/scanner you can use. Scan your docs to a flash drive and take them home. Also a lot of the Copy places ( Kinkos ) their copy machines have scan to file capability.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or if you know how to download printer drivers, you probably can get an old scanner from a local Goodwill store for dirt cheap prices (like about $10 or so). If you go this route, I'd make sure the scanner isn't too old and uses a USB port.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to log in this morning and this time I was successful in uploading a PDF of my drivers license for verification purposes. My status change to Verification pending. For some reason I notice my profile was missing my phone number and address. I was able to input both but it took many many times of "failure" to update to get both in. After inputting my phone number I rec'd two text messages on my phone, one was welcome and the other a notice I changed my phone number.

Patience and persistence, repeat as needed.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

OK, good suggestions. Didn't think of taking a picture or using a flash drive. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
For some reason I notice my profile was missing my phone number and address. I was able to input both but it took many many times of "failure" to update to get both in.

Patience and persistence, repeat as needed.
The data seems to come and go. Late last night I logged and some profile info was missing and the " verification needed " warning was back. I had uploaded DL yesterday and it had changed to "pending". I didn't touch anything, just logged out. Logged back in this morning, the missing info is back and the status is back to "pending"
Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting read... looks like the Marketplace site may be it's own worse enemy:

Analysis: IT experts question architecture of Obamacare website | Reuters

Quote:
It is not clear why the upload function was included.

"They set up the website in such a way that too many requests to the server arrived at the same time," Hancock said.

He said because so much traffic was going back and forth between the users' computers and the server hosting the government website, it was as if the system was attacking itself.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Here's an interesting read... looks like the Marketplace site may be it's own worse enemy:
Good write up.
The same could be said of most deployments done with these type requirements(all browsers.....), using modern toolsets and implementation strategies(horizontal scale in cloud). IMHO. Glad I'm not there supporting it, oh yea I REed.

MRG
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They also have the option to make a copy and then mail it in. When I logged in later, there was a PDF with further instructions including the mail option.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Here's an interesting read... looks like the Marketplace site may be it's own worse enemy
In a manner of speaking, yes. When the site keeps failing, millions of people keep retrying, reloading ... and it sort of becomes an unintentional "denial of service" attack.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post

Try this link.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-plan-information/
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

What a messed up site. Just for the heck of it I went back in and attempted to complete my application. It actually verified my identity without requesting any uploads of any kind, but when I get to the final submission it never says it has been received or anything. I did get an email saying they have my application and says read below to see if I'm eligible for any subsidies. And there is just a black dot in the list so I guess that means no. When I go back into site to to and look at plans, it will only say I have notices to read and it is the same letter they sent to my email acct.

So I'm stuck. Going out of town next week so maybe by next weekend it will clear out the garbage. Not holding my breath though.

Closed Thread