Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could not sign on at all this morning, all I got was page and server type errors. I just tried again this afternoon and I could login but now my ID verification status is no longer "pending", now it's back to unverified. So I uploaded my drivers license again.

Now it won't let me see previously entered info in my application. What a mess.

On the positive side, by googling the name of a plan I'm interested in (found it on the http://www.legalconsumer.com site) I found what appears to be one of the silver plans with the cost sharing subsidies that we should be eligible for. If this is really an available plan for us I'd be very pleased. We are at 246% FPL.

This plan is a silver plan for 200%-250%.
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_l...00_250_fpl.pdf

They also have a plan for 150%-200%
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_l...50_200_fpl.pdf

And here's 100%-150%
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_l...00_150_fpl.pdf

For comparison here's the same plan but without the cost sharing subsidy for incomes over 250% FPL
http://www.buaweb.com/cms/resource_l...000_silver.pdf

I posted these so that you can see how the cost sharing subsidies effect a plan. Of course, this is one state, one insurance company. I happened to look into this company because it's where we currently have our very expensive (very comprehensive) retiree insurance and except for the cost and lack of choice (decided by the pension plan) we've been pleased with the handling of claims and availability of doctors in the network.

Your Mileage May Vary.......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all that have posted ways to get information outside of the official site and ideas on how to work around issues.

I looked at plans in my area, prices seemed ok, with or without subsidies. One thing I noticed on even the 'gold' plans was the copays on prescriptions. Wow tier 3 at $80 - $120. Tier 4-5 just percentages. Maybe I missed something, and I can't find the list to know what my meds tier is. I guess the total out of pocket kicks in, that may help my decisions.

MRG
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Each time I see the screen that tells me there are lots of visitors and to please wait. So, i do other things on the computer until it lets me in. I can never get past the registration. After putting in all the information and answering three security questions, it tells me the system is unable to process my registration right then - or something like that.

Because our health insurance is with a state teachers' pension group plan (not subsidized) and October is open season month or whatever they call it - DH and i have only until the end of October to make a decision...go with exchange or stick with present plan (which increases $250/month in January 2014).

Am anxious to actually log in and learn more about the (bottom line) of what we can get through the exchange. Once we leave the state group plan, we can never go back to it. Makes me a tad nervous.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

So, like many of you, I was able to make it through the application process as far as confirming my identity. In spite of the NSA supposedly knowing all about our lives .....the ACA site couldn't verify my identity.
I uploaded a photo of my drivers license and am waiting to be told that I am indeed who I say I am.
In the meantime..a letter from my health insurer (Med. Mutual) arrived today with the cheery news that I have until Oct. 28th to renew coverage at $641.00/mo. at our current $5000.00 deductible (each). This would be our new monthly premium starting in Dec.
Med. Mutual gave an 800 number to call to discuss policies and premiums. I am going to try that tomorrow to see what's available and if we do qualify for any type of help.
The thing I don't like is the Oct. 28 deadline to renew.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Each time I see the screen that tells me there are lots of visitors and to please wait. So, i do other things on the computer until it lets me in. I can never get past the registration. After putting in all the information and answering three security questions, it tells me the system is unable to process my registration right then - or something like that. Because our health insurance is with a state teachers' pension group plan (not subsidized) and October is open season month or whatever they call it - DH and i have only until the end of October to make a decision...go with exchange or stick with present plan (which increases $250/month in January 2014). Am anxious to actually log in and learn more about the (bottom line) of what we can get through the exchange. Once we leave the state group plan, we can never go back to it. Makes me a tad nervous.
That's similar to our situation. Our current Insurance is through DHs pension system with open enrollment ending 10-31-13, also no re-enrollment if he opts out. But I did learn that if he opts out before 1-1-14 he would be able to re-enroll one time. Before we make any decision that will be set in stone I will double check that. The only reason to need to re-enroll would be because they plan on having a Medicare Connector program with an allowance at age 65. Will that still be there in 2020 when DH is 65? Big Unknown.

Getting answers about future benefits is almost as challenging as trying to get info from healthcare.gov.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #166

Why not just enroll in your current insurance. Exchange enrollment is open till 03/31 so you still enroll and drop your old plan then.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #167

hmmmmm...i need to ask that question.

Was under the impression we could not drop, add, or make any changes except during open enrollment month.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #168

I too am frustrated with the ID verification and Healthcare.gov website. In NH where I live there is only one provider, Anthem BC/BS. They have a couple of Bronze plans, both are better than my current $5000 deductible HDHP and both are HSA eligible. My current HDHP policy has been canceled as of 12/31 due to the ACA. I am currently paying $447 a month for it. The Bronze plan with a $3500 deductible is $443 without subsidy. If we get close to the deadline of 12/15 I'll probably buy direct from Anthem to avoid not having any coverage come 1/1/14. If Healthcare.gov and the ACA work great, I'll cancel and buy it again with a subsidy hopefully by 3/31/14. If that doesn't work I will still be paying $440 plus a month.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
If we get close to the deadline of 12/15 I'll probably buy direct from Anthem to avoid not having any coverage come 1/1/14.
If you are buy by 1/1/14 to avoid the penalty, you have a 3 month grace period.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not tried to generate an account yet on the Healthcare.gov site based on all the issues I have seen. I did call BC/BS in AZ to ask them what I needed to do since I have my HI coverage thru them. They told me I would still be on my current high deductible plan ($182/mo) until May 2014 which will be 1 year after I ER'ed. They told me they would send me a reminder in April that I need to choose a plan from the HI Market Place. If I did nothing they would automatically move me to a BC/BS "Essential" plan that would increase my premiums to $348/mo, but with a lower deductible then I have now. This is also before any subsidy. I have no income other then dividends which will be under $25K so I will be eligible for a subsidy. I did go to the Kaiser subsidy Cal and it told me my premiums for a "silver" plan would be $144/mo after Gov subsidy. Not sure how accurate this will be when I finally sign up. The BC/BS rep told be that I did not have to crate a account on the Healthcare web site until March so I'm going to wait until things cool off and they get these bugs fixed.

My questions to the forum is:
1) Does the BC/BS rep know that they are talking about?
2) Has anyone looked at how this would change their 401K/tIRA conversion to ROTH strategy to save on future taxes? Is it better to take the HI subsidy or convert to ROTH which would reduce the subsidy to 0 if above the 400% PL?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #171

My ID is still not verified so I called Experian again, they said everything is fine and verified on their end and I should call The Marketplace and ask them to reset my ID verification status.

So I called HealthCare.gov and asked them to do that. First representative didn't understand my request, she transferred me to a supervisor. That one told me to reset my password and that would clear it up. No, my password is fine, I'm in my account, it's the ID verification that Experian said I should ask you to reset. Go ahead and reset password to see if that helps. Easy enough but it didn't fix my issue. She transferred me.........and I got hung up on.

I must be a sucker for punishment, I called right back. Explained it all again. This one said to go ahead online and try to verify your identity. Well, you can't just navigate to the end where the ID verification is, you have to go through the entire application. But I was on hold anyway so I go through the application. Some info is there, some info needs to be input again. I'm still not Alaskan or Aleutian, still not disabled or have dependents.

Thankfully the income info is still there but I have to input the employer info again. Finally the summary and ID verification. No questions this time, just the place to upload a document. Done.

She comes back to see if I'm still waiting and I ask if I can navigate to the end of the application info instead of putting it in again every time I visit the site and she says she doesn't know, she's never been to the application part of the site. Really. More hold time.

Representative comes back and tells me that they do not have the ability to reset the ID verification, she doesn't know why Experian said that. Due to the large volume of website users there are a lot of "glintches" (not glitches) in the system and that she can't help me at this time. Instead she will escalate my call and someone will call me back within 3 business days. She asked me to verify my number and by this time I'm a little perturbed so I asked her what number she had to call me back. She read me some number I never heard of. Oh, yeah, I can certainly count on you returning my call when you don't even know who I am.

Cleared up the phone number issue and she said to expect a call. I asked to be sent to the survey (I had declined at the beginning of the call). Got transferred and then disconnected.

I'm done for the day.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

I don't know why everyone else is able to get past the login screen but after two days, I still can't.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #173
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't know why everyone else is able to get past the login screen but after two days, I still can't.
Have you tried a different browser?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Have you tried a different browser?
Different browsers.

Different operating systems -- Mac, Windows and Ubuntu.

Different computers.

Emptied cache and cookies.

Same problem everywhere.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #175
Administrator

Quote:
Different browsers.

Different operating systems -- Mac, Windows and Ubuntu.

Different computers.

Emptied cache and cookies.

Same problem everywhere.
I just checked, was able to log in, and also could get to the new account set-up in less than a minute. Maybe try a new account with a new username (I know).
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #176

Quote:
You're not alone. Mine started doing that, Saturday I think. Login just keeps going back to the login screen. Put in the wrong info a error is displayed, the correct info returns a clean login screen.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just checked, was able to log in, and also could get to the new account set-up in less than a minute. Maybe try a new account with a new username (I know).
Tried that yesterday -- yes, that one has the same problem, too....
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #178
Administrator

Quote:
Tried that yesterday -- yes, that one has the same problem, too....
ISP issues? Do they have a support page or forum to see if others are reporting something similar?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #179

Quote:
Try again with a different email/username. Too funny. Think about it.

When the dust finally settles on all of this and the app starts actually working the gubmint can claim 600 million registered applicants.

But of course they won't mention the countless duplicates.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Today is the first day I got to the login screen. My password didn't work. I tried the "reset password" but failed one of my security questions. I had to call and they said that they had to reset all passwords as part of a system upgrade to get more people in. Not sure if that included the security questions as well. They said they reset my account and I would get an email within 2 hours with instructions. So far, no email. I was able to get through the call with little or no waiting, and the person who answered was able to help, assuming I actually do get the email.
Closed Thread