Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went back in to CoveredCA to see if I could get back in, and also to poke around the site and see if there was anything about providing ID or income verification. I see people wrangling with that issue, but the system never asked for these verifications while I was enrolling.

Today I looked into "Manage Verifications" and see that DH and I need to provide verification, but there is no place that I can see to upload anything.

There is a link to provide these documents via regular mail, but when I hit that link to get the address, I got a bunch of funky code-looking stuff.

So . . . I guess I'll wait to see if I do in fact get an enrollment package in the mail in the next few weeks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #362
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
That's exactly where I'm at, too. Reading the suggestions here, I've cleared my browser history (IE is the only things that has worked for me at www.healthcare.gov) and I've logged out and back in. Upon logging back in I did see CONFIRMED in there somewhere but I'm unable to get back to see if I can click on it and read an actual confirmation. So have I enrolled? Backtracking a little...... This morning I called the insurance company I plan on using. They had said on another call that they could enroll me over the phone, including using our subsidy. But when I called back they said they cannot enroll anyone until Nov 1. I set up an appointment for Nov 5th for them to call me to enroll. In the meantime, I thought I'd give it a try on Healthcare.gov, just to see how far I could get. While I was on the phone with the insurance company we discussed the plans I was interested in and they sent me an email with those plans compared on a chart, Nice. Also, she cleared up the definition of Aggregate vs Embedded deductible as their HSA plans use an aggregate deductible and I wanted to be very clear as to what that meant. Be sure you understand this if considering an HSA plan. We're still going for the Bronze high deductible plan with and HSA. Came back to add this - So it looks like we've enrolled. I hope they send us an email or something. I can also click the items on the left and see the info in new pages, including an option to cancel.
Well....LAST NIGHT I was "definitely enrolled"... Even have a print out directly from the insurer and I provided them payment information.

TODAY, it seems that I "might be" UNenrolled.

Seems that there might be (hard to believe) a GLITCH in the system that may require a re-do of the process.

"But I've already provided the first payment!"

Them: "You don't have to worry about that, it won't be processed until we know you're correctly enrolled."

Really?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #363
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post
Well....LAST NIGHT I was "definitely enrolled"... Even have a print out directly from the insurer and I provided them payment information.

Seems that there might be (hard to believe) a GLITCH in the system that may require a re-do of the process.

Them: "You don't have to worry about that, it won't be processed until we know you're correctly enrolled."

Really?
Ouch. I think I will wait a bit until I click the enroll button.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #364
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post

Really?
Oh no!!! I am so sorry to read this. I was just telling Frank (in my own, insanely cheerful way) how encouraging it was to hear that at least one person had a confirmed enrollment through healthcare.gov .

Although I don't need or plan to get a policy through healthcare.gov, I am saddened to think of the distress this must be causing to many of those who are fighting with this system.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #365
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will the agency reveal the identity of the 1st person who actually, really, truly made it through the web site and got a policy?

And for the media to show him/her making a victory dance, or lap, or whatever on TV, holding the printed certificate high above his/her head?

We need to celebrate that!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Lest people think that the 1st person who got an ACA health policy is not memorable and undeserving to be put on the record, I will point out that we all know the name of the 1st SS recipient: Ida May Fuller of Vermont.

I do not know what paperwork Ms. Fuller had to file for her benefits, but I suspect that the 1st ACA recipient spent a heck of a lot more time on his/her computer compared to Ms. Fuller with her paper forms, demonstrated much more tenacity, and suffered much anguish to get that elusive policy.

And here's some info on the contractor that did the infamous Web software:

Insight: As Obamacare tech woes mounted, contractor payments soared | Reuters.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Yes, I had seen CGI mentioned and knew it as an old web standard. I hope the 'contractor' CGI gets the credit they so richly deserve.

In the way back machine, I have memories of a smaller debacle. In the '80 there was a N.J. state (tax or auto) system, built on Datacom's Ideal language. The technical fallout that followed killed that 4GL language.

Datacom was later purchased by CA. The database component still lives on, but the failures caused by a botched technology spelled the end to a big part of the company.

MRG
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #368
Moderator Emeritus

My daughter has asked me if I could help her with the ACA registration/enrollment process this weekend as she has limited computer skills. Her employer does not provide insurance currently, so we see this as a way for her to get a policy. Since I haven't looked at the ACA website, is there a list of documents of items we will need to have assembled prior to getting the process going? We are in Texas with no state exchange.

I would assume she will need her driver's license and maybe her birth certificate, last years tax return, but anything else to have handy?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
My daughter has asked me if I could help her with the ACA registration/enrollment process this weekend as she has limited computer skills. Her employer does not provide insurance currently, so we see this as a way for her to get a policy. Since I haven't looked at the ACA website, is there a list of documents of items we will need to have assembled prior to getting the process going? We are in Texas with no state exchange. I would assume she will need her driver's license and maybe her birth certificate, last years tax return, but anything else to have handy? Thanks
On my first account they asked for employers names and addresses and monthly income. That account is still stuck in limbo with the ID never getting verified.

When I later made a new account and could proceed to the application the questions had changed to -
- Will your 2014 income be the same as on your 2012 tax return? Yes or no
- If no, what do you expect your 2014 income to be.

On the 2nd account, I never had to enter employer info. Only SSN, name, address, phone, email, birthdate, etc.

Other questions were about other availability of insurance, dependents, disability and ethnicity and race.

Identity was verified by some multiple choice questions similar to a credit bureau. For example,

You had a car loan for -
Ford
Toyota
GM
None of the above

Your address is in which county-
Dover
Lake
Munson
None of the above

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I expect to be helping my son when he gives it try. He's 26 and self employed and uninsured this year.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #370
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Sue.

I did see in one thread that someone had to scan/upload their driver's license. I'm not sure if they were on a state exchange though. My daughter is working for a pet boarding/vet/grooming shop and they keep employees under the 30 hour limit to not have to provide health coverage.

I'll be giving this a run on Sunday and will post back.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
“The fears that we're all thinking about the young, healthy people not enrolling in the plan, I'm seeing a lot of that,” he said. In addition, Hammett said he is seeing that many employers with whom he works are reducing employee hours to below 30 hours per week or staying below the 50-employee threshold in order to avoid coverage requirements under the ACA. “They're just playing the system,” he said.
I would like to see one 26 year old healthy kid who has actually signed up, Just one.
The first question to ask is why did you sign up?

Can't think of a good reason unless 100 percent of the premium paid by government entitlement. If they have a job that is unlikely.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Yes, I had seen CGI mentioned and knew it as an old web standard. I hope the 'contractor' CGI gets the credit they so richly deserve. ....
MRG
Hard to say how much blame should go to the contractor. Though I agree with others, there should be basic info available before you have to create a profile. That would have reduced the heavy work and complex issues on the servers.

But when you take a complex document like the ACA, it gets complex to code it. And then, if I understand this correctly, an awful lot of the ACA really just offloads decisions to the Dept of H&HS - so have those decisions been defined and time allowed for coding? How much of that is still in flux?

-ERD50
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #373

My problem is getting verified. I answers the security questions perfect. Called the number and did that right. Gov site still wants me to upload verification. I have done so and now still waiting.

The system in its current form is garbage.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #374
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
My problem is getting verified. I answers the security questions perfect. Called the number and did that right. Gov site still wants me to upload verification. I have done so and now still waiting.

The system in its current form is garbage.
What are they asking you to upload?

If you are required to have a scanner and know how to upload scanned images, how the heck are the people that don't have the equipment or the skills going t do this stuff?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm2 View Post
I would like to see one 26 year old healthy kid who has actually signed up, Just one.

Can't think of a good reason unless 100 percent of the premium paid by government entitlement. If they have a job that is unlikely.
I would have signed up when I was 26. Why? Because stuff happens. I might be in an accident. I might need to have surgery. I might come down with a serious illness, maybe even a life threatening illness. Being 26 doesn't exempt me from becoming sick or having an accident.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #376

Quote:

I suppose the question could be put how much do you like to gamble? Going without insurance (in almost all cases) is gambling, and buying insurance is really buying a hedge. So the question is how invulnerable a person feels at 26 versus 21 for example. I also suspect the answers might well differ depending on gender.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What are they asking you to upload?

If you are required to have a scanner and know how to upload scanned images, how the heck are the people that don't have the equipment or the skills going t do this stuff?
You get a selection of things you can upload. I went with driver license. I assume
Using a picture of it was appropriate.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would insist that my kid sign up. If s/he has an expensive illness, I don;t want to be faced with a situation of paying for the health care they need or letting them go without it because they can't afford it.

I'd probably even pay for it if I had to (don't tell the kids that) . In our state, a catastrophic policy is ~$200/month for a single. IMO cheap insurance for not having to take a big hit to your retirement plans or go back to work if you are ER.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #379
Administrator

Not to mention that 26 year-olds are still eligible to continue to receive coverage on their parent's policies.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not to mention that 26 year-olds are still eligible to continue to receive coverage on their parent's policies.
True, but in our state the cost difference between a couple and family bronze plan exceeds the cost of of a catastrophic plan for a single , so if your kid is healthy I think one might be better off buying a separate catastrophic plan for the kid.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Closed Thread