Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4brake View Post
still can not "create an account" on healthcare.gov where I am, so can't get any plan details, as copays & deductables, etc
click on "create an account" & nothing happens
From the a listing of plans you can go to the company web site and get details on copypays if you are above 250% of the poverty line (below which they are reduced). Other posts have provided a number of places to get a list of plans for your area. You can also shop on ehealthinsurance.com. And you don't have to register. It does ask for ages, and I did a test and there was a 3 to 1 ratio between 63 and 30 in premiums.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #542
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to create an account, get the application processed and approved this morning.

My next step will be to choose my plan. Being I am retired and the wife is not working we will be subsidized.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #543
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4brake View Post
still can not "create an account" on healthcare.gov where I am, so can't get any plan details, as copays & deductables, etc
click on "create an account" & nothing happens
Valuepenguin (here) or healthsherpa (here) can show you all the plans available to you and the premium (before subsidy) you would pay. You can go to the insurer's website to study each plan in detail. Some insurers can even enroll you and still receive or be eligible for premium assistance.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #544
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

What browser are you using? I just tried it and it seems to be working, it opened the page for the account creation.
Started working this AM. I've always used IE with browser cache cleared.

Go figure,

MRG
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #545
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I'm still looking but I was curious. I think you can just skip it ( it says "optional" on the dental box ). I went into the dental "set" and selected NO and it went back to the enrollment list screen. But both the dental selection and confirm selection have the "SET" option ( after selecting a health plan ), I clicked on the "SET" for the confirmation and the page opened to make confirmation. I didn't go any further as I am not ready to confirm. I think you can just skip the dental if you don't want it and go straight to the confirmation.
Thanks, that is what I initially did and went right to the "Review and confirm coverage" button, filled in all the T&C's questions, saw the plan I selected with subsidized price, etc. but after hitting confirm it never came back with a final completion or healthcare provider billing screen.

So when I then went back to the "Enroll To Do List" screen the "Set your Dental Preferences" was still showing "SET" while the "Review and Confirm Your Coverage" choice was indicated as Locked. I then called our knowledgeable friends at the 800 number who surprisingly were of no assistance. I later went back into the actual dental selection and tried to tell it that I didn't need dental for any family member to see if I could get this option to finally move to "Change" like the prior ones on the enroll list screen but the system wouldn't save it and just kept going back to "SET" for the dental and the confirm options on the enroll list screen.

It was only after I went in to the dental option again and selected a family member and chose a low priced dental option to see what it would do was the dental option then no longer showing as "SET" and I was then able to proceed to the "Review and confirm your coverage" selection on the enroll list screen. I was ready to actually just go ahead and enroll in both the healthcare plan I selected and the one dental plan for one family member figuring I would just proceed with the healthcare premium and not move forward with the dental but I decided I'd wait a day or two to see if the dental bug got fixed before proceeding through this hoop.

I went in several times over a few days and everything was the same but as indicated in prior post then one time no plan or dental information would populate any longer and now only blank screens. I still get the attestation info on confirm screen but that's it.

I thought perhaps I shouldn't have originally simply bypassed the optional dental option on the enroll list screen and instead went in and indicated no dental needed prior to proceeding with the "Review and confirm your coverage" option. If I read your response correctly though it seems to indicate that it still doesn't save it on the enroll list screen so I'm now not sure what to think and guess it's a wait and hope game at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
You are correct on the dental. Just skip it. I am assuming you do not have any children. The dental for my enrollment came up for children only. I skipped the dental and it still allowed me to pick a plan.
Thanks, that's what I initially did. See above.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #546
Give me a forum ...

OK, I have a curiosity questions to anybody who might know this...

Say that I start the year on an exchange plan.... and half way through the year I get a job with insurance... and my half year of salary is low enough to qualify for subsidy...

Would I get a subsidy for the part of the year that I was on a qualified plan
Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #547
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Say that I start the year on an exchange plan.... and half way through the year I get a job with insurance... and my half year of salary is low enough to qualify for subsidy...

Subsidy will be based on total income for 2014.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I haven't seen anything authoritative on this. One would think that there would be some sort of allocation similar to the way they calculate HSA deductions if you only have a HDHP/HSA qualified insurance plan for part of the year, but who knows what those knuckleheads in DC will come up with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #549

Quote:

I think you still get the subsidy for part year. You have to report the income changes to the exchange. This FAQ might answer it

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-...-job-next-year
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #550
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My "less than authoritative" understanding? You'd be eligible for the subsidy while the IRS was seeing a low enough reported income to qualify. But if you later get a job that leaves you with an income high enough to be disqualified from a subsidy (i.e. MAGI over 400% of FPL for the entire year), you'd wind up paying back the subsidy when you file your tax return. Also true, to a lesser degree, if you simply qualified for a smaller tax credit -- some of the subsidy you received would go back to Uncle Sam.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #551
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is in my letter from Humana they are showing an ACA plan, but when looking at the ACA plans on the Healthcare website there are no Humana plans?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
Thanks, that is what I initially did and went right to the "Review and confirm coverage" button, filled in all the T&C's questions, saw the plan I selected with subsidized price, etc. but after hitting confirm it never came back with a final completion or healthcare provider billing screen.
OK, maybe I little different than what I thought. So you actually skipped and went to and confirmed but it wouldn't go forward without the dental section being completed ?

Well I guess I'll find out about that next I have it all done except clicking confirm.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Why is in my letter from Humana they are showing an ACA plan, but when looking at the ACA plans on the Healthcare website there are no Humana plans?
Best guess? They showed plans available in your state, but no Humana plans are available in your county. I know there are other Exchange insurers besides BCBS TX in Texas, but in my county, they are the only game in town.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #554
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because Healthcare.gov is screwed up beyond repair?

I don't see the county argument being right because if Humana sent you a letter they would know what county you are in and would the website from what you told it when you registered.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't see the county argument being right because if Humana sent you a letter they would know what county you are in and would the website from what you told it when you registered.
They may target by zip code, and some zip codes are in multiple counties (my zip code is one such example).
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #556
Administrator

I posted this on a new thread but it is relevant here.
Quote:
Obama Moves To Delay Cancellations Of Insurance Plans : The Two-Way : NPR
Quote:
President Obama announced Thursday that Americans who have had their health insurance plans canceled because of his Affordable Care Act can keep those plans for another year if they wish.
In the next few days we'll hear how this will be implemented.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They may target by zip code, and some zip codes are in multiple counties (my zip code is one such example).
But wouldn't the same logic apply to zip code? The insurer would know the policyholder's zip code since they sent them a letter and the website would know the buyer's zip code from their address of record?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #558
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

ALL new plans issued after Jan 2014 (for a moment ignoring the curve ball about grand-fathering old plans etc) are ACA plans or ACA compliant plans. But that doesn't mean they have to be offered within the exchange. There is no compulsion that any insurance company need to offer anything inside an exchange. The only requirement is that if they do offer it inside exchange, they should offer the same thing outside too.

All those who would receive subsidy and hope to receive subsidy need to buy within the exchange.

Some insurance companies are still not convinced whether they need to offer anything inside the exchange this year and they are holding out.

For all the commotion ACA only directy affects only the individual insurance market and the currently uninsured -- about 15% of the population. There are lot of insurance companies who do not have large footprint in that market. They would be the last to play in the sandbox.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #559
Recycles dryer sheets

The following statement is to clarify what I have read so for. Keeping the current, but ACA qualified would be easier than to change companies.

In order to use the $1,028 subsidy I would have to purchase a plan from the "exchange". So the ACA policy quote I received from Humana would not be eligible for the subsidy.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The following statement is to clarify what I have read so for. Keeping the current, but ACA qualified would be easier than to change companies.

In order to use the $1,028 subsidy I would have to purchase a plan from the "exchange". So the ACA policy quote I received from Humana would not be eligible for the subsidy.
OK -- that means they are offering ACA-compliant policies but declined to offer it through the Exchange.
Closed Thread